PDA

View Full Version : WS6 owner encounters a Ram SRT-10

Prince Valiant
02-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Stole this from the kill section of LS1.com...about a hwy encounter this WS6 owner incurred:

(Post #1)
Bolt On LS1 Takes Down SRT 10 Ram
I got a chance to run a beautiful brand new black SRT-10 Ram today three times all from rolls

I see the guy flying down the road drivin like a maniac so i catch up to him and pace him doin 50...i took the jump and got about a car and a half and it stayed like that for a few secs and i slowly pulled him to about 120ending up with about 3 cars

2nd run he missed 2 shifts....3rd run on way back to dodge dealer out of the u turn he nails it when hes in front of me and i follow him and end up catching him and slowly passing him by 100, i gave him a big thumbs up and went on

first off...these things will eat a stock lightning from a roll at least without much of a problem but they arent as fast as i thought, i really didnt expect to win but my car isnt exactly slow either. He looked like a guy test driving it from the dodge dealer as he went back there and had paper plates and he had a passenger while i was alone. But man do i love these trucks and it sounded wicked as all hell!

my car: 99 WS6 M6
(mods affecting race)
lid/filter
BGRA
cutout
holley/lingenfelter intake
Moser 12 bolt w/ 3.73's
pro 5.0 shifter
This is just his own words, but most will never have an opportunity to encounter one of these on the road, much less with a guy piloting the SRT willing to race.

So take it FWIW

SSmike1
02-11-2004, 07:15 AM
hey prince, (what is your name?)

the V10 in the viper has 500HP,

what is the HP rating when it is in the SRT-10 P/U truck?

so, my deduction from your post....
a p/u truck needs about TWICE the HP as a pony car, to be just as fast!, as a car.
:3gears:

animal
02-11-2004, 09:44 AM
There's one in the milwaukee area already been spotted. I'm waiting to eat him for lunch at a stoplight. According to one of my friends it sounds like a z-24 cavalier, but that's just one opinion.

MoreTorque
02-11-2004, 10:58 AM
It most likely will sound like a UPS truck as that is how the current Vipers with the same motor sound.

I'd like to see a dyno sheet from one.

Its a cool truck, but for the cost, there are better options.

Prince Valiant
02-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey mike...my name is chris.

The flywheel rating is 500hp, same as the vipers...

Now, I haven't seen a Dyno sheet per se, but on a Turbo buick forum they were talking about seeing 434 (:wow ) WHP...which they felt indicated that the 500hp was a pessimistic number from the factory...especially considering the amount of rotational mass the truck has to accelerate on the dyno (much larger wheels/brakes/driveshaft/ring and pinion/axles than is typical for a car)

But I agree with brandon...V-10's sound like crap. :(

BAD LS1
02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
I dont know.... The lightning i think is a better alternative if you must have a sport truck, first off not many are gonna be willing to sell a kidney to be able to buy the dodge, yeah it runs a number but its not as impressive as one would like to see for a 40K 500 hp truck, even knowing it is a barn door... But so is the lightning... this story is kinda funny because this Trans Am is proabably no faster than low 13,s anyhow... gatherd from the list of mods.

Well be seeing SRT-4's passing these things up on the street and the track... But something doesnt click when a 380HP 01' + lightning will go mid-low 13's pretty much stock and the 500 HP ram goes high 13's. The weight differential cant be that great that it would affect it nearly that much. The ram has to be like driving a school bus with how huge it is, the 3 foot long shifter and the inline engine sounding roar, Its a truck that sports big numbers(at least hp and tq) and bold looks and a 40K price tag...
All this and more for the guy thats lacking in the pants and needs a pick me up!!

Prince Valiant
02-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Since we haven't yet seen one at a track, let me just refernce a MT road test 1/4 time of 13.19@107.07mph.

Take it FWIW.

animal
02-11-2004, 03:59 PM
If you can take published times then one must also consider the 13.8's released some time ago by dodge, the 14.1's in another mag, as well as one of the first owners released times of 13.5@104 2.2 60' Average those all out and I bet they're still in the "disappointing" range for a $45k 500hp truck.

Thats not to say slicks won't help this thing either but we're talking stock 22" meats right now.

I'm not going to go into other things I've read about them simply because we've seen where that gets us on the srt peon thread haven't we.

lotsals1
02-11-2004, 07:46 PM
wait till the bolt ons are avail for it --then they will be fast --lightening is a better "sport truck as far as looks handleing ect.
the magnum with the hemi --better keep a eye on those suckers

animal
02-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by lotsals1
wait till the bolt ons are avail for it --then they will be fast --lightening is a better "sport truck as far as looks handleing ect.
the magnum with the hemi --better keep a eye on those suckers

You can say that about anything though. All the bolt-ons are already out for the Lightning so what then?

Theoretically, one could argue that for 45k and an "underrated" 500hp, it should really already have all the boltons necessary to stomp a measely 380hp lightning. The weight difference really isn't that much. Though if you're talking about adding power adders, then that's another thing isn't it?

BAD LS1
02-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Gonna have to go with the lightning on turning out to be a better performer with some bolt ons.... i jsut dont see this kinda potenial here that Tim does either...

animal
02-12-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm guessing with slicks you'd probably see the times that you'd expect stock. Though strength of the trans and clutch remain to be seen with the differences of a 5000lb truck on one side and 525ftlb ('underrated' of course) on the other.

Now try to find a nice 15" rim to fit over those massive brakes so you can actually run tires that wrinkle.