PDA

View Full Version : Cheap place to buy tires?!?

GTSLOW
02-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Well I've decided to get some new wheels for the dime.

Torque Thrust 2's made custom for the back :)

The front 17x8 w/ 225/45/17

The back 17x11 w/ 315/35/17

I was wondering if any1 knows a place online or localy that I can get tires for a good price.

I was really interestead in the BF Goodrich G-force T/A KD because they have the tires sizes I need and look good. I dont want to miss match tires either, and will not go under 305's on the back.

Thanks

Syclone0044
02-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Watch out, wide tires with thin sidewall (17"+) are good for road racing but terrible for drag racing. There's two problems. First off the thin sidewall does not flex ("wrinkle") on the launch so you will spin off the line more than you would hook with smaller rims. What size do most drag slicks come in? 15" and for good reason. Take a look at what all the fast cars are running. Tall sidewalls on 15" rims.

The other problem is if your tires are too wide, it will produce tirespin for the same reason a sled glides across the top of the snow. It's wide and distributes the weight so much that you don't have a lot of pressure per square inch on the actual contact patch. I don't know what the plans are for your truck but if it's drag racing you may want to take these things into consideration.

PS: This is not just conjecture; me and a friend both have "S10s" (well Sonomas and I use that term loosely) and I kept the stock 16" rims and he went to 17" 315s. I pull better 60's at the track and spin less.

Josh

88camaro
02-11-2004, 12:05 AM
big bear tires in ocomonoco (or something like that). good services i like the price and im going there wednesday. ill get pricing for you.

Prince Valiant
02-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Syclone0044
The other problem is if your tires are too wide, it will produce tirespin for the same reason a sled glides across the top of the snow. It's wide and distributes the weight so much that you don't have a lot of pressure per square inch on the actual contact patch. I don't know what the plans are for your truck but if it's drag racing you may want to take these things into consideration.

One very very interesting thing about friction, or in this case, "traction" is that surface area or a contact patch is not determined into the equation used to generate the force of static friction/traction.

Essentially it is wieght times the coefficient of friction for the given surfaces (the specific rubber on ashpalt). What this means of course that if you have 225 width Radial T/A's and simply upgraded to 245's radial T/A's, you should have no net gain in traction. Theoretically, of course.

If you think about it though, going with what josh stated, given the same weight placed on each tire, the wider tire is going to have less pounds per square inch than the narrower tire....BUT, it IS going to have more square inches to generate equal traction....so surface area is thus left out of the equation.

Of course, this is "classical" physics, and the one thing drilled into us during lab is that the real world doesn't always follows classical physics. Wider tires do have many advantages in the real world when you factor in tire heat, deflection, debris, etc, as well as how the tires width can change many of the forces invloved with cars (changing of track width comes to mind) in general wider does = better

But given the choice, I would go with moderate or appropriate width tires. Too wide and you start to run into a problem of heavier rotational mass...especially if you use heavier rims to accomodate your choice of wider tires. Excessive rotational mass is especially a killer on cars because not only do you have to get that extra mass accelerating down the track in a linear fashion, but you also have to get it to rotate so that you can go in a linear direction...so your hit twice! IIRC, the general rule is for every one pound of rotational wieght loss (brake rotors/wheels/tires/driveshaft/flywheel/crank/etc) it is like losing four pounds of weight elsewhere.

It's been a long time since I've heard that rule quoted, so it may be wrong.

I essentially experienced the same thing as Josh and his friend in my CSX when I went from 195's GT+4's to 225 Potenza's. However I attribute my loss of 60ft and thus ET to the increase in rotational mass.

To answer the poster's original question Tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) is a favorite of mine :thumbsup

animal
02-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Check out discount tire direct

They have Nitto NT555 Extremes in 225/40/17 $130
and

Nitto NT555R Drag radials in 315/35/17 $185

The tread patterns on both of these are the same, but the 555R is a low milegage high traction drag radial. Most guys with lightnings get 8-10k miles on a set. I'm sure you won't be spinnin em as much as us. There's a ton of them pulling 1.7 60' times on these pretty easily.

Be careful of the NT555R-2 it is a road racing stiff sidewall tire.

88camaro
02-11-2004, 07:26 PM
17x8 $243
17x11 $274

he said you might want to goto a 245 $155
315 $285

total 2041.04

Scales
02-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Prince Valiant
To answer the poster's original question Tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) is a favorite of mine :thumbsup

I'll second that!!!! Great prices!!!! :thumbsup

GTSLOW
02-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Well tirerack looks good thanks for the help.

number1
02-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Marty at Big Bear Tire is the man. I would suggest going there also.

GTSLOW
02-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Do they sell low profile tires like 315/35/17s though?