PDA

View Full Version : My 1988 Trans Am GTA

BigBadGTA
01-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm getting really really anxious to drive the car again, and I need to get my mind off of driving it, so I might as well post some pictures here. :banana1:
1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA Notchback 5.7L

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/1-1.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/1-2.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/IMG_0775.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/100_0099.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/IMG_0776.jpg

Karps TA
01-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Sweet. Have you had it awhile or just get it?

Nothing like black 3rdgens!

DirtyMax
01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I know nothing gets a car out of my mind quite like posting photos of it... :rolf

Nice car! Welcome to BCM. :thumbsup

pw_cc_runner
01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Can we get a few more pictures of the rear? I really don't follow the third gens a lot, but that notchback kit looks great.

BigBadGTA
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
thanks guys and yeah I know.... Its something to do besides thinking of driving it..... like I can drool at the pictures instead..:durr
anyway, I got it last August of of the the used car and auto body shop on national. I have a video too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq0GxGWviw0

BigBadGTA
01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
well looks like that youtube thing doesn't work very well... and how do you edit your posts?

dr doom
01-23-2009, 03:47 PM
nice car, ive always liked the GTA's. welcome to BCM.

Voodoo Chick
01-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Beautiful car!!

Z28Envy
01-23-2009, 04:10 PM
well looks like that youtube thing doesn't work very well... and how do you edit your posts?

Noobs can't edit posts for awhile. Nice car!!

PB86MCSS
01-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Great looking GTA...stock notchback? I forget which year(s) it was available. I've only seen two in person before, one was a somewhat rough white one near UWM years ago.

I think another member on here has a similar one, black/tan interior and the gold spoke wheels. Sharp combo.

Karps TA
01-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I thought that was the car on National Ave. I was looking at buying it myself. Really clean car, and was priced very well I thought. Nice buy

hotshift13
01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Nice T/A, I have one similar, but shes all apart for a respray. I'll have it back out on the road in spring.

Feature Pony
01-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Nice car, I remember when they had the kits for the 87-93 mustangs you could buy to do that.

PonyKiller87
01-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Nice car, you should bring that thing down to Thirdgen Fest in the spring, it would definatly win a few awards for being so clean and stock.

Yeehaw
01-23-2009, 06:37 PM
beautiful 3rd gen

BigBadGTA
01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I've been at work, so that is why I have not been responding. Yes the car is a factory notchback, and the only year it was offered was in 88. and to Karps Ta, that is ****** awesome... We even got them to take $800 of of the already good price on the car. Right as we went to put down money on the car, someone was going to take it for a test drive. When I first got it, the car drove horrible.... (Trust me, if you would have drove it, you would NOT have been impressed...) the front brake lines were messed up, so the car had an EXTREAME wobble to it. Like you would brake, and find yourself in the next lane over... anyway, I was lucky enough to have the dealer replace the front calipers, brake lines, and pay to have the headliner replaced. Then I had to pay $1000 to have the fuel pump replaced, (It purrs like a damn kitten now, in the video I posted It was running like shit)
I ripped the dumbass hands free phone out of it too. I put in a Sony Xplod head unit, and HD tuner.

BigBadGTA
01-23-2009, 11:09 PM
did you look at it in person? sit in it? lol

Karps TA
01-24-2009, 07:43 AM
I drive past that place every day for on my way to work. So I saw it, and after a couple weeks stopped to look at it in the morning. Never drove it. Was mostly considering buying it as a daily driver. But in the end didn't want to ruin it driving it in winter. So I'm glad it went to somebody who's taking care of it. They only made 624 notchback in 88 I think. It didn't last very long. My dealer info shows it was cancelled in sept of 87.

I even made a post about the car :D
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30554&highlight=notchback

pw_cc_runner
01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm still getting used to seeing the back end like that. Thanks for posting the link to the extra pictures Karps.

BigBadGTA
01-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I would have done it, but I did't have any more pictures worth looking at. :wow

I'm still getting used to seeing the back end like that. Thanks for posting the link to the extra pictures Karps.

BigBadGTA
01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
wow, thanks a lot for posting that link! I'm going to pm the second poster in there (if he is still on here) and hopefully find out some more about the car! Oh yeah, and one other thing I did with the car. You looked at it and probably noticed the dings (under the gas cap, and then the one on the passenger side above the handle, and then one one the left sail panel. Well I had dent doctor get both the one on the sail panel and the one under the gas cap out. the one on the door requires the door to be repainted.. but, it will get done. I don't really like the pinstriping on it though.. Its the one thing on the car I really don't like. The body shop on the corner of Cleavland and Sunnyslope said they could wet sand it off, but I don't know. I trust them, they always do a really good job for me, but I don't know.

I drive past that place every day for on my way to work. So I saw it, and after a couple weeks stopped to look at it in the morning. Never drove it. Was mostly considering buying it as a daily driver. But in the end didn't want to ruin it driving it in winter. So I'm glad it went to somebody who's taking care of it. They only made 624 notchback in 88 I think. It didn't last very long. My dealer info shows it was cancelled in sept of 87.

I even made a post about the car :D
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30554&highlight=notchback

-stew-
01-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Nice car. Gotta love hardtop third gens. It parts availability was better I'd have a third gen f-body in the garage instead of a fox. Third gen f-body's are infinitesimally better looking than fox body mustangs.

Nice car, I remember when they had the kits for the 87-93 mustangs you could buy to do that.

Whhut?

BigBadGTA
01-24-2009, 11:57 AM
thanks alot! yeah the parts are a little hard to find for the car. I replaced the fog light lenses and bulbs because they were fogged up, and one had a hole in it. I went to the dealer and they said they had about 20 lenses left in the country....

Karps TA
01-24-2009, 12:02 PM
There's aftermarket fog lights that you can buy that are the same sizes. I think mine came from Wal mart for like $30. Modify the mounting a little, but you'd never know the difference.

Gm dealerships have very few parts left. Classic Industries and Year One have quite a bit of them still. And it seems like some companies are making repro stuff now. The impossible stuff is finding a console shift plate for a 5 spd, the actual cloth seat material, and some other things.

Mr Twigbert
01-24-2009, 12:54 PM
I love that thing.. Don't molest it.. It is sex just like that..

hotshift13
01-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Parts are easy to come by if you take the time. I just found a perfect console and a bunch of interior parts off CL. Al's auto salvage has a bunch of Fbodies.

Mr Twigbert
01-24-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't really like the pinstriping on it though.. Its the one thing on the car I really don't like.

I vote leave them.. They were what were put on cars back then which what makes it such a good looking car.. It's, well, stock looking and is sweet shape..

Besides, they are small.. You don't even really notice them.. Which is why I like them.. They look like they belong on the car IMO.. I've seen bad looking pin strips but those arn't one of them..

PB86MCSS
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I thought finding parts for 3rd gen f-bodies is pretty easy, from salvage yards (Al's has "f-body hill") and good resources like thirdgen.org where there are tons of parts cars and things available. I know whenever I need random TPI stuff its pretty easy to locate at least and when I parted out a 87' TA for my TPI donor there was alot of "competition" for the same parts for sale. For GM NOS its hard to find anything for an older car and getting harder by the year. One reason I've briefly contemplated doing a 3rd gen f-body build is that it seems parts are very easy to locate and reasonably priced.

Seeing higher optioned/model stock 3rd gens seems rare and a treat, I'd definately keep yours that way or close if it was me. :3gears:

Karps TA
01-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Some stuff is easy, some stuff is very hard. Finding say interior parts that are still in great shape is difficult usually. Most used stuff is pretty beatup I find. And what a person lists as "perfect" is often far from it online. Depends on what you're looking for.

For instance my car was an original non A/C car. Those cars had block off plates for the side vents on the dash and the plastic trim piece under the steering column had mounts for vent levers. I've been looking for those 3 parts for just about 10 years now.

BigBadGTA
01-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Damn that would suck looking for parts that long. You do have a very sweet car though. I don't plan on messing with mine too much. The only things I plan on doing look wise is getting an Ebach pro kit for it, and tinting the windows. Other than that it is going to be getting put back to stock. I did put in a new HD radio, but I just replaced the old pioneer that was in it. oh, I put the exhaust tips on it to...

BigBadGTA
01-24-2009, 03:17 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/100_0114.jpg

Karps TA
01-24-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd make sure you keep any original parts you remove. There's not alot of thirdgens I think will ever be truley seen as a collectibles. But I'd put the Notchbacks in the group with the Firehawks, and TTA just due to the really small numbers they made.

You can contact http://www.phs-online.com/ and they for a couple bucks can send you a packet of info on your car most likely. I did mine way back in 94, and got a copy of the original specifications book, copy of my window sticker, some pics, etc.

Also sent you a PM

pw_cc_runner
01-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Some stuff is easy, some stuff is very hard. Finding say interior parts that are still in great shape is difficult usually. Most used stuff is pretty beatup I find. And what a person lists as "perfect" is often far from it online. Depends on what you're looking for.

For instance my car was an original non A/C car. Those cars had block off plates for the side vents on the dash and the plastic trim piece under the steering column had mounts for vent levers. I've been looking for those 3 parts for just about 10 years now.

Are the parts the same on the third gen Camaro? My 89 RS did not have air and had those pull vents. Too bad the thing is long gone I could have hooked you up.

Karps TA
01-24-2009, 04:10 PM
No unfortunately not.

PonyKiller87
01-25-2009, 12:58 AM
My iroc was about as close to you could get to a 1LE before they offered that option. It was non a/c (has the vents), no power locks or windows, pretty much the only options it had were the one for customer special order, Iroc, t-tops and 5.7

Al's used to have a few cars with the vents in them, but I think I got the last of the cables and levers to fix mine.

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 10:17 AM
I think I am going to take it for a spin today. They roads are not wet, and don't have much salt in rock form, so I should be fine. of course the battery died on me, so i have to grab the one outta my truck...

PonyKiller87
01-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Don't do it, theres tons of salt out there. Gotta wait till it warms up and rain a few times.

BadAzzGTA89
01-25-2009, 05:46 PM
That is a very Nice notch!
Would be nice to see it at 3rd gen fest this year.

Reverend Cooper
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
pinstripes? I can't hear or see anything over the poison blaring outta that thing

BadAzzGTA89
01-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Like twins
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/Badazzgta89/P1040166.jpg

Reverend Cooper
01-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Unskinny bop bop bop

67-400
01-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Wow, nice 3rd gen!! Very Clean, welcome to the site!!

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
damn son, you've got a bad ass GTA! It would be sweet to take pictures of the cars next to each other.. and third gen fest, where is it? do you have a link?:loser

Like twins

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey you got a badass Roush! I don't know if you remember or not, but you had your car in the Soeren's Ford show in 06 right? My Dad and I had his screaming yellow 2005 GT convertible in the stock S197 class there that year to. I was diggin your car, and my dad liked that chrome radiator cover you had. I don't know if you remember his car or not, but here is a picture from the show, he won first place in the stock class. The car has changed alot since then, and hes gonna do a full roush convertion next month, and have it out to some shows next year. Its gonna be ****** sick when its done! Hopefully I will see you and your car at some shows this year!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/100_1827.jpg

pinstripes? I can't hear or see anything over the poison blaring outta that thing

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
ohhhh snap, I put the wrong smilie in there too... lol :thumbsup is what I meant.

damn son, you've got a bad ass GTA! It would be sweet to take pictures of the cars next to each other.. and third gen fest, where is it? do you have a link?:loser

Reverend Cooper
01-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Yeah I think he actually stopped over and talked to me about my car also. he ahs a bad ass ride. why on earth did he let you get a mullet mobile lol

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
He let me get one because all his life he had Trans Ams. He sold a 1979 10th anniversary to get the Mustang he has now. Hes always wanted a black GTA Trans Am, that's part of the reason I got this one.
Here is the car he sold to get the Stang.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/Mustanglover246/EPSON001.jpg

Yeah I think he actually stopped over and talked to me about my car also. he ahs a bad ass ride. why on earth did he let you get a mullet mobile lol

PonyKiller87
01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
If your not already a member join Thirdgen.org great resource for our cars. Its pretty much all teck, they dont allow non third gen content at all, kinda nazi's like that.

Third Gen Fest is a party/car show down in Crete, IL every year on Sat of Memorial Day weekend. I think I have been going to it for about 5 years now and I missed the first 1 or 2 so its been going a while now. Its third gen only and usualy draws about 75 cars depending on weather. The guy that puts it on is Denny, his home business is "The Third Gen Ranch" he buys cars and parts them out. His whole basement is a warehouse of used third gen parts. the fest started out as a thank you to his customers. There is a registration fee, but they have free food and soda all day, awards and a raffle. 2 years he raffled off cars, one year was a complete spohn suspension kit, I forgot what last year was... Its a pretty good time though, and when its over a lot of people cruise to the local cruise spot down there.

Reverend Cooper
01-25-2009, 08:53 PM
well at least he upgraded lol

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 09:02 PM
lmao, you like to be a smartass huh? :D

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I think I might take it this year. I really want to put it in some shows. I don't think it is trophy worthy yet, but It will be soon. I'm interested in how it would do though. Are they any notchbacks that usually show up?

If your not already a member join Thirdgen.org great resource for our cars. Its pretty much all teck, they dont allow non third gen content at all, kinda nazi's like that.

Third Gen Fest is a party/car show down in Crete, IL every year on Sat of Memorial Day weekend. I think I have been going to it for about 5 years now and I missed the first 1 or 2 so its been going a while now. Its third gen only and usualy draws about 75 cars depending on weather. The guy that puts it on is Denny, his home business is "The Third Gen Ranch" he buys cars and parts them out. His whole basement is a warehouse of used third gen parts. the fest started out as a thank you to his customers. There is a registration fee, but they have free food and soda all day, awards and a raffle. 2 years he raffled off cars, one year was a complete spohn suspension kit, I forgot what last year was... Its a pretty good time though, and when its over a lot of people cruise to the local cruise spot down there.

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
oh yeah, I have a mag with your car in it also! I bought it only because your article in there. I wish I had enough paper to procharge mines.... :(

Reverend Cooper
01-25-2009, 09:18 PM
thanks man I appreciate it. It will be in 5.0 soon also, on the real its a nice looking GTA

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 09:24 PM
thanks Dude.

thanks man I appreciate it. It will be in 5.0 soon also, on the real its a nice looking GTA

PonyKiller87
01-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I think I might take it this year. I really want to put it in some shows. I don't think it is trophy worthy yet, but It will be soon. I'm interested in how it would do though. Are they any notchbacks that usually show up?

I have only seen 1 notch there and that was a project car, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't a factory notch.

They have several classes of awards, stock firebird, modified firebird, stock camaro, mod camaro, best restoration. best paint, best interior, best engine, best of show. Based on your pics I would say you would deff be in the running for best stock and restoration.

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 09:38 PM
how much is it to enter? I am pretty sure I'm going to attend...

PonyKiller87
01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I think it years past it was $35 before May 1st and $45 after that or at the gate. Includes 1 car and as many people as you can fit in it, food and soda for the day, awards, and 1 raffle ticket.

Usualy they sell extra tickets also.

When they post up the details I usualy start a thread on here about it. Probably around March or so.

BigBadGTA
01-25-2009, 09:48 PM
sweet. thanks man.

BadAzzGTA89
01-26-2009, 06:32 AM
I think it years past it was $35 before May 1st and $45 after that or at the gate. Includes 1 car and as many people as you can fit in it, food and soda for the day, awards, and 1 raffle ticket.

Usualy they sell extra tickets also.

When they post up the details I usualy start a thread on here about it. Probably around March or so.

I was gonna say it starts pretty soon!

BadAzzGTA89
01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Also if you are not a member already http://www.gtasourcepage.com/Great site for GTA owners lots of good info!

Karps TA
01-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Also if you are not a member already http://www.gtasourcepage.com/Great site for GTA owners lots of good info!

Yeah, Frankie pretty much knows everything about GTA's. The guy has pretty much dedicated his life to them. :rolf