PDA

View Full Version : I need a car!

PureSound15
01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
So... I've decided that I'm going to buy another car. I've always wanted a 66/67 Chevelle and with my new job I can finally afford to have it. I haven't found the perfect one yet - and I'm sure many will dispise my wish to create a pro-touring car out of it!

So - those of you who are on different classic forums, please let me know if you see anything! I don't really have a budget but I would prefer to buy something thats in good enough shape to drive it next summer. I do not care if it's a true SS but I would prefer to start out with atleast a 350 (eventually I'm going to do a TT LS2 setup... hopefully). I'd prefer a 4 speed but I know that might be too picky.

I found one in Texas thats right by my brothers place but I'm not sure if it'll be there when I can fly down and drive it back, which probably wont be for another 2 months.

Let me know what you see!

jbiscuit
01-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Ryan, good choice....can you give us a budget of some sort to work with? You know what you can afford. I'd be happy to help ya find something. Crawlin can attest to the fact that I find some nice cars out there. Tell me what you have to spend and I can surely find ya something.

J

PureSound15
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Well... I guess it depends. I'm torn between finding something that's already done and I would just have to put my touches on - or finding a car that's decent and doing the upgrades myself.

I could spend up to 30 if I really wanted to - but that would take a larger chunk out of my future house down payment than I'd like. I've seen a few under 15k that I would definitely buy as long as they were in good enough condition to drive for the next summer.

The best part is that I'm not DEAD set on a 67 chevelle. It's my dream car - but I'm not really brand loyal as far as american muscle goes - I just really want that old car smell and look with newer technology and performance.

jbiscuit
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Here is a freshly done 138 (SS) clone....gorgeous. Fresh paint, 454 4-speed, Cragers, the whole shebang. He's asking $22 and change which is a really good price considering these cars can go for as much as $40-50K easy

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?p=8772994

pics of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32355192@N06/sets/72157608942248647/

PureSound15
01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I can't see the pics because I'm at work but I'll check it out when I get home. There's actually a really clean clone in wisconsin on craigslist (I think... I've been looking for a while) for 12,000 which would leave me a ton of cash to customize it.

I just decided that I'm going to bite the bullet and do it. So although I've been looking for a while I haven't gotten down to the nitty gritty of what I'm actually going to buy.

jbiscuit
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
in North Prairie, WI...$16,500

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/1000175347.html

Josepy
01-22-2009, 03:38 PM

badass lookin car

PureSound15
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
I can't get to craigslist while I'm at work... damn, I guess I'll have to go home now :)

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Awesome plans Ryan

SSDude
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM

This guy's got about six classics for sale. I've never understood whats up with the Fresno, CA phone number. Nice lookin car:thumbsup

A couple others
http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/980108885.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/999522946.html

Reverend Cooper
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
grow a mullet too while your at it

SSDude
01-22-2009, 06:58 PM

It's not like he's wantin a Camaro or a Mustang:rolf

JC70SS
01-22-2009, 07:44 PM

Are you serious??

.....Anyway I would consider trading my 70 for a 67 someday.

Reverend Cooper
01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes very much so!!!!!

1320PNY
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I think a 1967 Chevelle SS in BLACK. Nothing sexier than that car car in black with chrome trim. As for the mullet, I don't think I could grow one anymore. Still love the car though.

Reverend Cooper
01-22-2009, 08:21 PM
If this comes true I am so wearing a mullet wig when you get it so I can be a passenger.

PureSound15
01-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Jay - When I got home I realized that I've already called on the black one you posted! I haven't heard anything back yet.

I am a bit worried about that criagslist posting from SSDude with all of the cars though. The prices are WAY too good to be true - If it's legit I'll buy one this weekend.

Coop - You and I already talked about this when you were hammered in chicago :)

Reverend Cooper
01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh yeah thats right we did ooops

SSDude
01-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Jay - When I got home I realized that I've already called on the black one you posted! I haven't heard anything back yet.

I am a bit worried about that criagslist posting from SSDude with all of the cars though. The prices are WAY too good to be true - If it's legit I'll buy one this weekend.

Coop - You and I already talked about this when you were hammered in chicago :)

I did a search of the guys number on Milwaukee Craigslist. It comes up with what he's got listed.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=559%20269%204814
North Prarie is west of her I think. I just don't get why some would be selling local with a Cali phone number. He could very well be legit and a good deal could be had. For as long as he's had some of these cars for sale I bet you could get a much better price than he's asking.

If you wear Coops mullet wig to look at the car you should be able to get it at half price:rolf

Good luck :thumbsup

jbiscuit
01-23-2009, 07:47 AM
maybe he used to live in Cali and still has his Cali cell # or something? I'd call him and check on the car at least. Worth a shot. North Prairie isn't far from here. Just west of 83. Since that car is local, I would try and go see that car Ry. $16,500 is a decent asking price to start with. Make sure to bring a flashlight and a plyable refridgerator magnet with you if you do go look at it.

Body wise, some things to check:
bottoms of the doors
body mounts
quarters
floors
trunk floor
frame
rear windshield area where the quarter seam meets

JC70SS
01-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Ryan how much are you looking to spend? i know of a nice 66 here in Brookfield. Not sure if he still has it, but I could go pound on his door.

DirtyMax
01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Ryan how much are you looking to spend?

I could spend up to 30 if I really wanted to - but that would take a larger chunk out of my future house down payment than I'd like. I've seen a few under 15k that I would definitely buy as long as they were in good enough condition to drive for the next summer.

PureSound15
01-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I guess it would depend on the car. I would prefer to buy a solid car and put my own twist on it than to buy a already hot-rodded car. There seem to be quite a few in the 15-20 range that I'd purchse - of course if I can get a completely rust free car for 16 or so I'd do it and use the left over money to do what I please.

jbiscuit
01-23-2009, 09:08 AM
great plan Ry....I think you should be able to get a nice car to start with for $14-18K

JC70SS
01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Ryan also check out and join www.chevelles.com

It is a WEALTH of knowledge and they also have classifieds there. Great,great site.

PureSound15
01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I called the craigslist with all of the cars - the one with the fresno number. The chevelle sounds like a monster but it's also been pieced together by 4 different people and had been raced in the past. I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for but I hadn't seen that add before so thanks for the info!

jbiscuit
01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
The chevelle sounds like a monster but it's also been pieced together by 4 different people and had been raced in the past.

PASS. Translation: The car has been hacked together. When one guy got tired of effing sh1t up, the next guy took a crack at it...:rolf

Voodoo Chick
01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
PASS. Translation: The car has been hacked together. When one guy got tired of effing sh1t up, the next guy took a crack at it...:rolf

That was the situation I had with my Z/28. When I first got her, that first year was spent undoing all the shit everyone else had done to her in the past.

jbiscuit
01-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm still doing that with my car also. Easier for people to eff stuff up rather than fix it correctly

Prince Valiant
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't have a problem going out and LOOKING at the car...just be ready to walk away. Keep in mind, that any info you get is from the owner...it's his pride and joy, so he'll likely see the car with "rose colored glasses."

jbiscuit
01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
.it's his pride and joy

with this black car he called on from Craigslist and the other cars the guy has for sale, I highly doubt this car is his "pride and joy." He's a car flipper....no attachment to that car whatsoever. Just wants its sold to collect a profit on an uneducated, passionate buyer. WAY more shady sellers out there in the classic car game than good, honest sellers.

PureSound15
01-23-2009, 04:12 PM
That's why I'm a bit more excited about the Manitowac car - it IS that guys pride and joy.... so although I'm expecting to hear about how great it is, at least the same guy has had it since it was restored and what not.

PB86MCSS
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I vote for buying one to build rather than pre-built. Might cost more but most likely your taste will be different than one you can find plus its much more fun to build than buy one thats done, IMO.

PureSound15
01-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Going to look at the blue one on sunday Sounds like the hood had some rust but I plan on putting a cowl on it anyway.

Prince Valiant
01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
The point I'm trying to make is, don't get too excited once the car is there in front of you...be methodical and dispassionate. Can be surprisingly hard to do once the car is in front of you...

Don't get caught up in his excitement or yours. As a general rule, I always walk away and give myself a day to help decide whether or not to purchase the car....REGARDLESS of which car you look at. Shady dealer/flipper or proud owner, you'll probably get a rosy color scenario of a car that might have more than what they're telling you is going on.

Voodoo Chick
01-26-2009, 02:26 AM
The point I'm trying to make is, don't get too excited once the car is there in front of you...be methodical and dispassionate. Can be surprisingly hard to do once the car is in front of you...

Don't get caught up in his excitement or yours. As a general rule, I always walk away and give myself a day to help decide whether or not to purchase the car....REGARDLESS of which car you look at. Shady dealer/flipper or proud owner, you'll probably get a rosy color scenario of a car that might have more than what they're telling you is going on.

I admire your restraint! As soon as I see the car, I'm already in love with it, lol.......

jbiscuit
01-26-2009, 08:05 AM
How'd the car look yesterday Ryan?

PureSound15
01-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I didn't get out to check it out - it was WAY too cold. I just talked to the guy this morning and will figure out a time to look at it - he's really looking to trade for a harley so I guess he's not in a huge rush to sell it.

jbiscuit
01-26-2009, 09:51 AM
gotcha...supposed to warm up later this week anyways

jbiscuit
01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
http://cars-on-line.com/31489.html

Josepy
01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I didn't get out to check it out - it was WAY too cold. I just talked to the guy this morning and will figure out a time to look at it - he's really looking to trade for a harley so I guess he's not in a huge rush to sell it.

would he trade for a chopper. then i would sell the car for the same price to you.