PDA

View Full Version : V6 power pack

bmatson
01-17-2009, 03:29 PM
i have a 2002 mustang v6 that has about every bolt on available. she is making 188/216 at the moment. Obviously i am looking for more. I want to keep it N/A for now and i was thinking of putting a super six motorsports power pack on it. It claims to raise hp by 90 with fuel system upgrades. The only think that is holding me back is having to tear the engine down that far. I have never done anything that in depth and it would be very expensive to have installed. What do you guys think? www.supersixmotorsports.com (http://www.supersixmotorsports.com)

Breecher_7
01-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I think its not worth the money for the power gains your going to get. You would be better off and cheaper to just spray the thing. Personally, if power is what you are after, i would sell the car and start over with a V8 Model.

That_Guy
01-17-2009, 04:55 PM
dont they have hp tuners for this car or some other laptop based tuning software?

Yeehaw
01-17-2009, 05:43 PM
i know there is a lot of parts out now for the ford V6s but mostly have messed with boosted motors or rangers with 4.0s but ill talk with my friend who builds up rangers and see what he says then pm ya

Breecher_7
01-17-2009, 05:45 PM
dont they have hp tuners for this car or some other laptop based tuning software?

Yes.

Sprayaway Fox
01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Im not trying to be a **** but I would problably sell the car before you go tearing that down that far. There are not many people that actually mess with sixes in mustangs. Even on Corral there are not that many.
Sell it, get a v8 and you get a better rear end and a better platform to start with. I dont even like mod motors but Id rather do a Mod motor than stick all that money into a 6cyl.
At some time in life it would be easier selling a hopped up 8cly than a modded to hell one off V6. My .02

That_Guy
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes.

shit it cant cost more than 150 bucks to get a decent dyno tune for the car..

Breecher_7
01-18-2009, 12:48 AM
shit it cant cost more than 150 bucks to get a decent dyno tune for the car..

Yeah, unfortunatly its not that cheap.......

That_Guy
01-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah, unfortunatly its not that cheap.......

really.. i know for ss cobalts unlimited credits cost about 150 dollars..

Breecher_7
01-18-2009, 10:22 AM
You said Dyno Tune, not software credits..... And credits to tune a SS are $100 per cobalt via HP tuners to the best of my knowledge so im unsure where your getting these UNLIMITED for $150.

For a dyno tune you would be looking at a few hundred bucks at a minimum.

Waver
01-18-2009, 10:33 AM
at least 300 for the dyno time, and about 500 for the programmer...

Now as far at hthe v6 guy goes, what I would first do it go for gears/suspension upgrades is you havent already done that to the car. I would also take it to c&m and talk to Marv about getting it tuned. If you are going to do gears, then you already have the programmer with some preloaded tunes in it (you need the tuner to recal the speedo). Have him do a custom tune on your car...that should net you some gains, maybe get you to an even 200 rwhp.....

If you really want to make your car go fast, I would talk to some of the guys on www.Midwestmustangassoiciation.com. There is a guy on there who has done everything to that v6, and na was in the low 13's and his car is a vert....If it wasnt a vert he might be in the 12's......

that is the best advice I can give you

Breecher_7
01-18-2009, 10:52 AM
at least 300 for the dyno time, and about 500 for the programmer...

Now as far at hthe v6 guy goes, what I would first do it go for gears/suspension upgrades is you havent already done that to the car. I would also take it to c&m and talk to Marv about getting it tuned. If you are going to do gears, then you already have the programmer with some preloaded tunes in it (you need the tuner to recal the speedo). Have him do a custom tune on your car...that should net you some gains, maybe get you to an even 200 rwhp.....

If you really want to make your car go fast, I would talk to some of the guys on www.Midwestmustangassoiciation.com. There is a guy on there who has done everything to that v6, and na was in the low 13's and his car is a vert....If it wasnt a vert he might be in the 12's......

that is the best advice I can give you

This is somewhat correct... HP tuners does not support tuning for this vehicle, so the cheap way of tuning is out the window as now you have purchase a SCT or Diablosport handheld to have it tuned. $500 for a handheld does sound rather excessive though. I will have to agree with the above statment of taking it to C&M though. I would normally push you to West Bend Dyno but they currently do not have someone to tune ford vehicles although they do have the software and will hopefully be offering the services for all diablosport supported ford platforms in the near future. Call up C&M, they will take care of you.

Waver
01-18-2009, 11:03 AM
This is somewhat correct... HP tuners does not support tuning for this vehicle, so the cheap way of tuning is out the window as now you have purchase a SCT or Diablosport handheld to have it tuned. $500 for a handheld does sound rather excessive though. I will have to agree with the above statment of taking it to C&M though. I would normally push you to West Bend Dyno but they currently do not have someone to tune ford vehicles although they do have the software and will hopefully be offering the services for all diablosport supported ford platforms in the near future. Call up C&M, they will take care of you.

Yeah I was going to say westbend dyno, however I remember you saying that they send the ford stuff to be tuned by c&m anyhow.....I was a little off on the price of the tuner......the svt livewire tuner is in the 500 range, the xcal 3 is 375, and as long as you have a 8.8 rear end, you can get a 4.10 gear set with oil and bearing kit and the xcal 3 for about 575-600 bucks total

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Sell it and get the V8 car, supercharged if possible.

bmatson
01-19-2009, 12:29 AM
it has a diablosport tuner, 3:73 rear end gears with posi, cold air, x pipe and catback, lowering springs, underdrive pullies and shifter as far as performance. I'm having trouble selling the car i think i'm expecting too much monety out of it. Plus i am going to college next year and won't have much money on hand for a new car. I might have to wait it out.

Stangman98
01-19-2009, 01:35 AM
You wanna talk to people who know what the phuck they are talking about? Call Delk Performance
http://www.delkperformance.com/index.cfm
They had a 10sec. 6cyl a few years ago

DRK
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
For less then $10k you could have over 400rwhp in V6 and be at least be a little different. Which is far less cash then a Termi will cost you, not to mention your ins. will probably be $75 less a month with the v6 at your age.

I think a 05+ v6 with a turbo would be a fun dd/sleeper. They're about as sedate as a taxi cab and many are in the 11's with a good driver

BAD LS1
01-19-2009, 01:24 PM

No.

Breecher_7
01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
No.

From what I understand Diablo does support this Tom. HP tuners no though...

Stangman98
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
From my understanding Diablo and SCT both have the ability to tune the V6

Reverend Cooper
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
If I ever try to mod a v/6 and make it FAST please someone come and smack the ever living shit outta me.

Breecher_7
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
If I ever try to mod a v/6 and make it FAST please someone come and smack the ever living shit outta me.

:rolf You can count on it.... :thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Thank you!

Yeehaw
01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
i keep trying to get a hold of my friend newks but he never answers his phone

but try http://supercoupeperformance.com/default.aspx bought a lot of parts for my sc from them they sell parts for the 3.8 birds and stangs dont know how much it will help but worth a try

bmatson
01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
i am starting to look into spray a bit more. Any one know how much i spray the v6 to? Any good or bad expirences with a particular company?

Breecher_7
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
do a forged bottom end and spray the fuck out of it...

OR

Trade for V8 and save money in the long haul as stated before....

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-21-2009, 08:31 PM
The engines 8 head bolts could not hold down a wet noodle.
Drive it, use it and get a better starting point later on.

6 cylinder=bad brakes, bad axle, bad trim, bad tires, bad engine probably a bad transmission.
Sorry its just true. Why start handicapped ?

bmatson
01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
we don't all have enough money for an 03 cobra but i understand your point. its so goddamn hard to wait. :fire

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-21-2009, 09:20 PM
No chance of selling the 02 and using the power pack money to get a little older V8 car ?

Stangman98
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM
How bout being different and sticking with the V6. No one ever said going fast was cheap or easy, yeah with a V8 it would be easier. Imagine spanking the shit out of a V8 with your V6. Dare to be different.

xxtremeteam
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM
buy a fox body roller and build it over time and keep the v6 car for now, i bet for the price of the mods you want to do you could get a nice foxbody roller and get started

DRK
01-22-2009, 11:22 AM
The engines 8 head bolts could not hold down a wet noodle.
Drive it, use it and get a better starting point later on.

6 cylinder=bad brakes, bad axle, bad trim, bad tires, bad engine probably a bad transmission.
Sorry its just true. Why start handicapped ?

Why did you buy your cobra then? The same argument could be had of you buying your car vs. a C5Z06. The Z06 is a better car and they can be had for around the same as a termi. So why would you want to start with a handicap? Sorry it's just true.

In the end it's yours do what you want.

Waver
01-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Why did you buy your cobra then? The same argument could be had of you buying your car vs. a C5Z06. The Z06 is a better car and they can be had for around the same as a termi. So why would you want to start with a handicap? Sorry it's just true.

Id rather have the termy, i think in the end it will be cheaper to maintain

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM

Thats a helluva reach and as a Ford fan I wanted a Mustang not a Vette.
And the Vette is a better car ? Better for what ?
To each their own as you claimed, I was merely offering up some friendly advice.
Most Mustang cats would rather have a older 5.0 engined Stang than a hopped up ready to pop yeoman duty grocery getter engined 02 Stang. I know I would. :thumbsup:rolf:shades

bmatson
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
buy a fox body roller and build it over time and keep the v6 car for now, i bet for the price of the mods you want to do you could get a nice foxbody roller and get started

I like this idea. I could throw some spray on the v6 to keep me from going nuts :drool: and in the mean time start a fox body. That would put me at three cars though..... Im not expirenced with fox bodies though how much for a decent roller? Rust free.

DRK
01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Thats a helluva reach and as a Ford fan I wanted a Mustang not a Vette.
And the Vette is a better car ? Better for what ?

I have a 92 lx and a 66 fastback and I'm a huge Ford fan, but, the Z06 is better then a Terminator everywhere except rear passenger and cargo space. It's faster, handles better, stops better, it's lighter, and they hold there value better if left stock. Not too mention they're a 3000lbs ***** magnet.

Im not expirenced with fox bodies though how much for a decent roller? Rust free.

A good friend of mine just bought a nice blk on blk LX roller with a bar in it for $2000. You can easily build a nice 10sec daily driven Fox for 10k if you don't mind used parts and turning wrench's yourself

Stangman98
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
A good friend of mine just bought a nice blk on blk LX roller with a bar in it for $2000.

Stop phuckin' lying! You don't even have any friends! :chair:

DRK
01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Stop phuckin' lying! You don't even have any friends! :chair:

Hater!! :flipoff2: