PDA

View Full Version : ls1 people in here...

sloLs1
01-16-2009, 08:19 PM
im looking for a set of forged pistons for my ls1 motor... im using stock rods, crank ect.... what do you recommmend and where should i look??? also im looking for a cam, something streetable and wil make decent power. good torque band and such.

thank you!

lilws6
01-16-2009, 09:26 PM
MS4 cams i hear are pretty streetable and have plenty o powa. When i get around to doing a cam in mine i'll probably be goig with a t-rex cam big mofo i don't care bout streetability lol pistons i'm not quite shure where to look i haven't looked that far into that yet. check Ls1techs list of sponsors tho

BAD LS1
01-16-2009, 10:22 PM
well cheaper forged slugs you can go with speed pro forged pistons. It takes a bit of research to come up with a stock fit 3.898" pistons as everyone build pistons to a 3.905" and 6.125" -.945' pin conn rod. Stock is 6.100 and .927" wrist pin. most piston mfg's make pistons to work with stoc rods etc but expect about $700 to be the cost. if your looking for good low to mid nuts yet with a cam dont go over .600 lift and 23x for duration and keep the lsa around 114. if you plan to spray it go with something that is a reverse split with more duration to the exhaust side. Always a good idea to jump to double springs vs beehives if you can afford them, they will keep up if plans change in the future.

sloLs1
01-17-2009, 12:06 AM
well cheaper forged slugs you can go with speed pro forged pistons. It takes a bit of research to come up with a stock fit 3.898" pistons as everyone build pistons to a 3.905" and 6.125" -.945' pin conn rod. Stock is 6.100 and .927" wrist pin. most piston mfg's make pistons to work with stoc rods etc but expect about $700 to be the cost. if your looking for good low to mid nuts yet with a cam dont go over .600 lift and 23x for duration and keep the lsa around 114. if you plan to spray it go with something that is a reverse split with more duration to the exhaust side. Always a good idea to jump to double springs vs beehives if you can afford them, they will keep up if plans change in the future.

i was trying to find speedpros(used them befor and worked good for the price) and yea everywhere ivebeen looking forged pistons are between 600 and 800... which is to be expected. i think a ms4 cam would be a little to much cam for my desire! i just want a really fun street machine that makes good power all around... trying to shoot for 400whp.... any good internet sites to buy from???

sloLs1
01-17-2009, 12:17 AM
wow... and i just noticed i mis-spelled "hear" its supposed to be "here"!

GTSLOW
01-17-2009, 12:29 AM
TSP Torquer 2 for the cam :D

BAD LS1
01-17-2009, 05:49 AM
www.ls1speed.com www.thunderracing.com www.texas-speed.com

*SNOOP*
01-17-2009, 06:14 AM
MS4 cams i hear are pretty streetable and have plenty o powa. When i get around to doing a cam in mine i'll probably be goig with a t-rex cam big mofo i don't care bout streetability lol pistons i'm not quite shure where to look i haven't looked that far into that yet. check Ls1techs list of sponsors tho

LOL..... Your gonna love the t-rex!!!!! Works very good with nitrous or NA.... I loved it.

*SNOOP*
01-17-2009, 06:19 AM
im looking for a set of forged pistons for my ls1 motor... im using stock rods, crank ect.... what do you recommmend and where should i look??? also im looking for a cam, something streetable and wil make decent power. good torque band and such.

thank you!

What power adder are you using for the need for forged pistons? How much of the power adder are you going to be using? (Boost/Nitrous)

Breecher_7
01-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Id buy rods to as long as its apart.....

sloLs1
01-17-2009, 10:23 AM
What power adder are you using for the need for forged pistons? How much of the power adder are you going to be using? (Boost/Nitrous)

well i figure with a cam and supporting mods i want close to 400rwhp... then if thats not fast enough i have a nitrous kit that will be going on it as well, this isnt a drag car by any means but for the street and occassioanl track meets i would like an extra 100hp! i figure stock rods with arp bolts should hold togather...

Id buy rods to as long as its apart.....

i dont have the money for that!!! otherwise id be throwing a set of heads on it too!

any other input or comments are appreaciated.... im not a ls1 know-it-all by any means!

floaters
01-17-2009, 11:02 AM
jake why dont you just look for some good used stuff, save yourself some $ - ls1tech.com etc, there should be plenty of stuff for sale on there

GTSLOW
01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
^ There was a green supra on there that made 600hp and ran a 12.7 too.

SLOWC5
01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Rockauto also sells the speedpro pistons. I'm running Mahle pistons, ordered from texas speed.

Crawlin
01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
If you search LS1tech, you'll find a set of eagle rods for the price of a set of ARP rod bolts it seems. even if they are used for $200, it's no different than putting a set of stock rods that are used back in it. spend the $50 to have 'em checked out and good to go.

hell, you can find new in box stock pistons for dirt cheap on there too. just have to watch the classifieds.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/1035348-new-box-diamond-pistons.html

see what I mean? $500 shipped for those?

Crawlin
01-17-2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/1035386-mahle-forged-pistons-stock-bore.html

2 bad z's
01-17-2009, 11:36 AM
If you search LS1tech, you'll find a set of eagle rods for the price of a set of ARP rod bolts it seems. even if they are used for $200, it's no different than putting a set of stock rods that are used back in it. spend the $50 to have 'em checked out and good to go.

hell, you can find new in box stock pistons for dirt cheap on there too. just have to watch the classifieds.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/1035348-new-box-diamond-pistons.html

see what I mean? $500 shipped for those?x2 for ls1 tech with the economy the way it is ,there are good deals to be had

sloLs1
01-17-2009, 11:58 AM
jake why dont you just look for some good used stuff, save yourself some $ - ls1tech.com etc, there should be plenty of stuff for sale on there

im always on there but usually miss out on deals! also chitownracing has a lot ls1 stuff floatin around.....

i just dont like buying from out of state and having things shipped. i will only do local pickup. ive been fvcked once and do not want to get fvcked again:flipoff2:! of course i will buy from a company but not an individual!

sooo once again im not looking for a crazy motor build. i guess if i could find a set of "cheap" as in price rods id buy them, but this is already turing into a money pit! trying to keep costs down so i can get this thing on the road for spring!

floaters
01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
they always turn into a money pit, my tta is now a pit as well.

sloLs1
01-17-2009, 12:55 PM
they always turn into a money pit, my tta is now a pit as well.

yea... but mine isnt even a rolling chassis yet! lol all i have is a motor, trans, and a car to put those in... but the car is still a FWD 4cyl :rolf:rolf:rolf!

floaters
01-17-2009, 01:34 PM
good point

Beagle
01-17-2009, 01:46 PM
yea... but mine isnt even a rolling chassis yet! lol all i have is a motor, trans, and a car to put those in... but the car is still a FWD 4cyl :rolf:rolf:rolf!

:rolf :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :thumbsup

lilws6
01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
the sites tom suggested i would try first. Hey snoop you have any sound clips or videos of the trex cam idle? I've heard its not real street friendly but i want the lope :goof

Sprayaway Fox
01-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Piston wise I like for a budget build I like speed pro forged, I had a dirt track Gen 1 350, 5140 I beam rodded. piston skirts looked great yet thats at 6800 coming in each corner for 2 seasons. But you cant beat the qualtiy of a Ross or JE/SRP.:thumbsup

Did you snag that 5.3 I sent you or did you find a LS1? Either way GL with the build

sloLs1
01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Piston wise I like for a budget build I like speed pro forged, I had a dirt track Gen 1 350, 5140 I beam rodded. piston skirts looked great yet thats at 6800 coming in each corner for 2 seasons. But you cant beat the qualtiy of a Ross or JE/SRP.:thumbsup

Did you snag that 5.3 I sent you or did you find a LS1? Either way GL with the build

i found an ls1 with 30k miles on it! id just use it the way it is but the guy pulled the heads off the motor and i just happened to notice a few of the pistons have "dents" in them from valves... so thats why i want new slugs and like stated befor, ive used speedpros before and never had a problem! so ill see what i can find and go from there....

still trying to decied on a cam!

turbogarrett
01-18-2009, 10:45 AM
I used wiseco (3.903 bore, -2.2cc)pistons with stock rods. Wanna buy a the shortblock minus covers?

The motor was knocking at road merica, brought home took heads off and have not touched it since. Did not find any metal pieces in the oil. Arp mains rod bolts etc. Also will be selling asp pulley, melling hv oil pump and futral f11 cam 228/230 114 lsa.

JC70SS
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
send me a price on that cam TG

Poncho
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
the sites tom suggested i would try first. Hey snoop you have any sound clips or videos of the trex cam idle? I've heard its not real street friendly but i want the lope :goof

mine's just a 228/230 and it's got plenty of lope?

QzUskAOD5c0

sloLs1
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I used wiseco (3.903 bore, -2.2cc)pistons with stock rods. Wanna buy a the shortblock minus covers?

The motor was knocking at road merica, brought home took heads off and have not touched it since. Did not find any metal pieces in the oil. Arp mains rod bolts etc. Also will be selling asp pulley, melling hv oil pump and futral f11 cam 228/230 114 lsa.

whats the lift like on that cam?? how many miles?

no on the shortblock, ive got what i need!

Sprayaway Fox
01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Saweet good pic! Think youll be better off with the extra cubes anywayz.

Comp cams has these new cam profiles for LS1 engines. I think there called LSr cams. Supposedly they have higher ramp profiles that create more lift but slam the valve shut faster. You have to get special valve springs to handle the ramp profliles though. Supposedly its the best thing since sliced bread. Cams are for extra mods like intake/heads and spray..Thats at least what the brochure said bout them wich can be all hype though.

sloLs1
01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
yea definatly got a good deal on my motor! i have a brand new set of stock heads with it. debating about sending them out to be gasket matched/opened up a little bit!

yea i just want a regular run of them mill, off the shelf cam thats good for N/A power but nothing radical(keepin it under .600lift)! yea i will be spraying the motor occasionally but most likely only a 100shot. i dont need a nitrous ground cam for the few times ill be using it!

*SNOOP*
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM

I don't have any clips of mine but here is a link with the T-rex and same exhuast as I had....... Sounded identical.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF2fopOmjTA

BAD LS1
01-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Them Trex cam's are for MAX effort and honestly it might be too peaky for normal street driving.

Again 228 to 232 duration and under .600 lift will be more than enough, make sure to go with a reverse split (more ex dura) since you will be spraying it.

114 lsa will give more of a low end torque boost and 112 will move the power and torque up higher in the rpm band.

Crawlin
01-19-2009, 09:57 AM
TR224 on a 114 :)

i remember when everyone thought THAT cam was huge, haha

juicedimpss
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
racecar cams.

Crawlin
01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
whatever LT1 boy :)

DR.FORD
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Its a Chevy- Isle 4 at any Walgreens!
Right next to the chrome Camaro doorskins:rolf

Voodoo Chick
01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Its a Chevy- Isle 4 at any Walgreens!
Right next to the chrome Camaro doorskins:rolf

That's not a very nice thing to say. And not very fair, either.

sloLs1
01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Them Trex cam's are for MAX effort and honestly it might be too peaky for normal street driving.

Again 228 to 232 duration and under .600 lift will be more than enough, make sure to go with a reverse split (more ex dura) since you will be spraying it.

114 lsa will give more of a low end torque boost and 112 will move the power and torque up higher in the rpm band.

alrighty... i am taking all of this into consideration when i order a cam!

hes just jealous because of the overwhelming amount of aftermarket parts for chevy prodoucts... im sorry im using one of the best power to wieght to price to availabilty to longevity motor made! :rolf:rolf:rolf

and the sad thing is im not really even a gm guy! even though i own a bi-product of them! :goof

racecar cams.

its no race car.... it has four doors!

Beagle
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
hes just jealous because of the overwhelming amount of aftermarket parts for chevy prodoucts... im sorry im using one of the best power to wieght to price to availabilty to longevity motor made! :rolf:rolf:rolf

and the sad thing is im not really even a gm guy! even though i own a bi-product of them! :goof

Yea take that Jim. Fords motors suck :goof

sloLs1
01-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Yea take that Jim. Fords motors suck :goof

:rolf not saying ford motors suck... just saying that the lsx motor is a good design.

Beagle
01-19-2009, 07:48 PM
:rolf not saying ford motors suck... just saying that the lsx motor is a good design.

We both know Ford motors cant make a FUEL INJECTED motor with power :rolf

DR.FORD
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
WOW!! Just havin' a little fun with "friends"!?!
That has been a long standing joke with my Chevy buddies for years, while they go buy their stuff off of a shelf, I had to order mine and wait!
In other words...
ITS A FRIKKIN" JOKE!!!!

DR.FORD
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM

LSX engines are a GREAT design!
Remember who was givin' me crap at Jeanette's party?
"Oh thats the single digit club over there"!!!

Beagle
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
WOW!! Just havin' a little fun with "friends"!?!
That has been a long standing joke with my Chevy buddies for years, while they go buy their stuff off of a shelf, I had to order mine and wait!
In other words...
ITS A FRIKKIN" JOKE!!!!

I know your joking. :thumbsup

DR.FORD
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
its no race car.... it has four doors![/QUOTE]

Like in the Bruce Lee movie...
"I read your book- I know your tricks"!

DR.FORD
01-19-2009, 08:14 PM

Please accept my formal apology- I was just at Walgreens and they only had Mustang 'skins left!:thumbsup

sloLs1
01-19-2009, 08:22 PM
its no race car.... it has four doors!

"I read your book- I know your tricks"![/QUOTE]

:rolf

Please accept my formal apology- I was just at Walgreens and they only had Mustang 'skins left!:thumbsup

lol no im all about the jokes! and i totally agree with your statement!!!! its very true!

im the type of person to throw the shit back in your face twice as hard... so keep that in mind when i make comments/jokes in other threads!!!!:banana1:

DR.FORD
01-19-2009, 08:22 PM

thank you!

Gettin' back to matters, I am sponsored by Diamond Racing Pistons in Michigan. Call me at the shop Tuesday or pm me and I'll get my price from Eric.
Sincerily,
The asshole Ford lover
(who likes them all!!!!)

DR.FORD
01-19-2009, 08:25 PM
"I read your book- I know your tricks"!

lol no im all about the jokes! and i totally agree with your statement!!!! its very true!

im the type of person to throw the shit back in your face twice as hard... so keep that in mind when i make comments/jokes in other threads!!!!:banana1:[/QUOTE]

Its the people who don't know us who get offended!

sloLs1
01-19-2009, 08:27 PM

im the type of person to throw the shit back in your face twice as hard... so keep that in mind when i make comments/jokes in other threads!!!!:banana1:

Its the people who don't know us who get offended![/QUOTE]

very true... you'll be recieving a pm shortly! thanks much!

juicedimpss
01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
people get offended?
i guess you do learn something new everyday.