PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City to liquidate all stores

Got Boost
01-16-2009, 11:07 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/28691870 Its kind of sad day on the job front .. Like CC or not 35000 people will be out of a job...More gloom and doom

Rocket Power
01-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I actually was surprised it took this long. It always seemed nobody went there and Best Buy across the street was always packed

Neal Steffek
01-16-2009, 11:25 AM
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34887

DirtyMax
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I liked shopping there better than I did at BB. At BB, the employees were on you like flies on shit.

Got Boost
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I actually was surprised it took this long. It always seemed nobody went there and Best Buy across the street was always packed
I liked CC better always cleaner inside (due to lack of customers) they had a poor CD/DVD/Bluray selection though bottom line more people out of a job

WhatsADSM
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Yea sad day... I definately bought stuff there in the past, and unfortunately I remember it was always pretty dead in there compared to the BB across the street.

awsomeears
01-16-2009, 11:46 AM
BB was always the Hip place to go.
CC was the Electronic store

Advertising wins all the time. I'm going to watch out for sales for a new big screen TV !!!

Crawlin
01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34887

Hahaha, that's where I met you Neal... way back in '99

hahahaha, the old brookfield location.

VroomPshhTsi
01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
I liked shopping there better than I did at BB. At BB, the employees were on you like flies on shit.

Actually for me it was the opposite, at least out here at the Moorland/Bluemound CC. I swear I was looking at the cameras and asked by (not kidding) 8 different people within 10 minutes if I had any questions and if I knew about their price match deal. BB has a few employees like that, but I'm rarely bugged by more than 1-2 employees each trip.

shoooo32
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM

me too... come a long way from slang'n big screens. I sucked at straight commission sales.

Nick
01-16-2009, 02:25 PM

That's probably why they are not in business anymore.

:rolf

jk - Tis a sad day.

DirtyMax
01-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't like feeling smothered. Some people probably do. I like to be acknowledged, not ignored, but not feeling groped either. The people at BB have really backed off though in recent years.

Voodoo Chick
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I guess I won't be applying for a job there now.......

MoCkiN U
01-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Its just really really sad. Sorry to see a large company go out of business. I could sit here all day long and type up reasons why I think this happened getting to see business happen daily there at one location since february and having my own buying experience there in 2007 that made me stop shopping there and to see that same thing happen to others just 2 nights ago.......

I am sad for the friends I made there. one good friend whos a supervisor is losing her job and her husband is a installer at another location so mother and father out of work with 2 kids. Just saddens me greatly!! Been with the company 8+ years those two had.

Voodoo Chick
01-16-2009, 10:03 PM
^ That IS really sad. I know from my own personal experience that losing a job you've been at a long time is very traumatic, and feels like losing your family.

WilliamZ
01-16-2009, 10:28 PM
I just bought to Garmin Nuvi's there last week. They were priced the best.

MoCkiN U
01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
liquidators come in saturday and start. If it goes like vernon hills did the prices will jump dramatically at first and then weeks into it they will start to come down to where deals can be found but at that time its a bear to find the inventory on items you want to buy. Catch 22 I guess

I been holding back on which monitor to purchase until today and learned it was the last day of the 14 day price match so I snatched up the last one they had of the model i wanted

Neal Steffek
01-17-2009, 12:02 AM
liquidators come in saturday and start. If it goes like vernon hills did the prices will jump dramatically at first and then weeks into it they will start to come down to where deals can be found but at that time its a bear to find the inventory on items you want to buy. Catch 22 I guess

I been holding back on which monitor to purchase until today and learned it was the last day of the 14 day price match so I snatched up the last one they had of the model i wanted

Will it be CC people running the place, or Luquidators runiing it? Were all managers let go already or whats the deal?

MoCkiN U
01-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Will it be CC people running the place, or Luquidators runiing it? Were all managers let go already or whats the deal?

Ya know its so early in the process that we really dont know and they didnt show up today. we were told that managers stay on for CC but liquidators have final say on pricing so not sure whats what yet. All of them are guranteed 60 days pay from let go

Today I see the worst in people.

Its been rough here at the store. People picking shit up and just dropping it back on the floor like the product is garbage. Store is a mess, people are rude and laughing at the CC people for the store going out of business making wise cracks. Its ridiculous and the whole thing is the only discount they get is either sales price or 10% off full retail which ever is better.....thats it 6,000 people thru the door today to save 10% and 30% on some tv stands.

We asked a guy for his mobile number to store his purchase in his account records and he said "what for in a couple weeks you wont be here anyway" and laughed at us. it was all I could do not to punch the dude so in turn I just made him look dumb and circled verizon on his receipt, told him that name isnt going anywhere. Its good to be #1 in wireless these days and of course he had nothing

Breecher_7
01-17-2009, 05:48 PM
New digital camera and Tablet for my computer today, prices were really no better then Best Buy though.....

PB86MCSS
01-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Its been rough here at the store. People picking shit up and just dropping it back on the floor like the product is garbage. Store is a mess, people are rude and laughing at the CC people for the store going out of business making wise cracks. Its ridiculous and the whole thing is the only discount they get is either sales price or 10% off full retail which ever is better.....thats it 6,000 people thru the door today to save 10% and 30% on some tv stands.
Thats pretty crappy for customers to laugh or openly make jokes...apparently they don't realize that how many jobs are lost and thats a further drain on our economy not to mention less competition. Dipshits.

I really didn't like retail when I did it and it was only part time. I give those who do it alot of credit.

Waver
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Soooo when would be a good time to get somthing like a good lcd tv?

MoCkiN U
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Hard to call really. Liquidators are in there today. Prices will go up then go down each week they are open. To find the great price is hard because when you do finally get the great deal you are looking for they wont have the stock cause people are buying it up right now like crazy with just the 10% off.

Waver
01-18-2009, 11:27 AM
meh that sucks

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't think "good stuff" will be less than 75% of its original price ever. They can always offload merch to other brokers, they aren't going to give stuff away.

I liked CC better than Best Lie also, but I buy $2 dollar items :rolf not Mega Box TV's, Super Tuner Stereos and Mind Blower Woofers.

T-Bag
01-18-2009, 03:45 PM
You won't find any good deals...and when the "good deals" hit there will be nothing left but Bruce Springsteen CD's and shitty 3 year old XBOX games.

Don't waste your time, shop Amazon.

Junky Giorgio
01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I went to the Brookfield location and the going out of business sales were pathetic. Only 10% off on electronics, ha. F-that. I walked out since the place smelled like a gym locker room after a basketball game.

spindler27
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
BB was always the Hip place to go.
CC was the Electronic store

Advertising wins all the time. I'm going to watch out for sales for a new big screen TV !!!

they aren't liquidating to the public from what it sounds, seems like there were 4 or 5 companies that were already in line to buy the leftover merchandise, i wish they would sell it all to the public!

lilws6
01-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Laughing at the people working there is rude. I've been looking to get an xbox elite so it may be a good idea to take a look down there this week.

johnny--2k
01-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Same here. I worked at that location for almost 2 years!

DirtyMax
01-20-2009, 11:11 AM
PS - If you have any CC Rewards Coupons, better use them up ASAP. I'd imagine they'll stop taking them soon. I almost forgot until it dawned on me last night. I had $75 to redeem...

lilws6
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
thy wil be taking them until the stores close. Also were is the brook field one its been a whiel since ive been donw there

lilws6
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Circuit City would like to thank all of the customers who have shopped with us over the past 60 years. Unfortunately, we announced on January 16, 2009, that we are going out of business.

Please check back later for updates about the status of our website. In the meantime, we hope the information below will help answer most of your questions.

What's going on at Circuit City?
Due to challenges to our business and the continued bleak economic environment, Circuit City is going out of business and the company's assets will be liquidated to pay off creditors.
The process was extremely difficult and we were left with no other choice but to liquidate. Circuit City had a proud heritage of serving the public for 60 years and we deeply regret the impact this decision will have on our associates, our customers and the communities where we have operated stores and other facilities.
We had hoped to be able to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as a stronger, more competitive company and we made significant progress during the reorganization to improve our business. Unfortunately, the economic climate is so poor that we have no choice other than liquidation.
Liquidators will start arriving in our 567 stores across the U.S. over the weekend, and closing sales will start as early as Saturday, January 17. Closing sales will run as long as it takes to sell existing inventory, but are expected to wrap up by the end of March. When the liquidation sales are completed, the stores will be closed.
At the company's corporate offices in Richmond, Virginia, a small staff will remain on duty during the completion of the liquidation process; most associates will be relieved of their duties immediately.
Consistent with federal labor laws, Circuit City associates are receiving 60-days notice of the termination of their employment. Those who stay on to help with the liquidation, of course, will receive pay and benefits. Those who are dismissed earlier will be receiving pay and benefits for the 60-day period beginning January 16, 2009.
Associates at our company headquarters will be asked to come back on Monday, January 19, to find out more about their status and to retrieve their personal belongings.
Are you also shutting down your operations in Canada?
No, our Canadian operations will continue. They are not affected by the liquidation of Circuit City's U.S. operations. The Canadian operations employ approximately 3,000 associates.
How many people are losing their jobs as a result of this action?
Circuit City employs approximately 34,000 associates in the U.S.
Can you provide some background on Circuit City?
Founded in 1949 as the Wards Company, Circuit City is headquartered in Richmond, Virginia. At the time of the liquidation announcement (January 16, 2009), the company operated 567 stores in 153 media markets in the U.S. and approximately 765 retail stores and dealer outlets in Canada.
For a timeline history of the company, go to http://investor.circuitcity.com, and click on Company Information.
Will Circuit City stores continue to accept Circuit City gift cards?
Yes, customers holding Circuit City gift cards may redeem them at full value at our stores during the liquidation sales. Once the stores are closed and the company is out of business, the gift cards will have no value.
Are Circuit City's extended warranties affected by the liquidation?
No. Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans® (extended warranties) have been backed by third-party independent companies for more than 15 years and as a result, are not impacted by Circuit City's closing.
Currently, all Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans are fully backed by the Assurant Solutions companies. Assurant Solutions operates as Federal Warranty Service Corporation, Sureway, Inc., and United Service Protection, Inc. Assurant Solutions is part of Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), and its extended service contacts are backed by an Assurant insurance subsidiary rated A "Excellent" by A.M. Best Co.
When will the liquidation sales begin?
Liquidation sales begin as early as Saturday, January 17, 2009, and will last as long as it takes to sell through the merchandise at each of the stores. We expect the sales to wrap up by the end of March 2009.
How much will merchandise be marked down, and can customers negotiate prices for the merchandise?
There will be clearance pricing, but specific discounts are not being announced. All sale prices are at the discretion of the liquidator. Prices are non-negotiable and all adjustments must be approved by the liquidator's on-site managers.
What payment types will be accepted at the liquidation stores?
Stores in liquidation will accept cash, Circuit City gift cards and most credit cards. Personal checks will not be accepted. All sales are final.
Will Circuit City's price matching policy or the One Price PromiseSM apply during the liquidation sale?
Because the liquidation company is in charge of the sales at the closing stores, their policies are in force. So, One Price Promise does not apply during liquidation events, nor does the company's Unbeatable Price Guarantee. All sales are final.
What about returns and refunds?
Customers can return products they purchased prior to January 16 for a 14-day period for exchange or refunds. All other terms of return policy are in force.
When closing sales begin on or around January 17, 2009, all sales will be final.
Will delivery service be available for products purchased from liquidation stores?
Yes, home delivery service will still be available for products purchased from liquidation stores.
Will Circuit City offer home theater installations during the closing sale?
No, we will not be offering home installation services.
Will Circuit City offer PC services and repairs at liquidation stores during the closing sale?
Services already underway at the liquidation stores will be completed promptly, but no additional jobs will be accepted at these stores.
Will car electronics installations be available at liquidation stores during the closing sale?
Yes, Circuit City stores will continue to offer car electronics installation during the closing sale.
Will Circuit City's extended warranties still be available on products purchased from liquidation stores?
Yes, we're making no changes to our Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans®. Coverage is national and purchases will still be protected just as they always were.
Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans® have been backed by third-party independent companies for more than 15 years and as a result, are not impacted by Circuit City's bankruptcy or liquidation.
Currently, all Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans are fully backed by the Assurant Solutions companies. Assurant Solutions operates as Federal Warranty Service Corporation, Sureway, Inc., and United Service Protection, Inc. Assurant Solutions is part of Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), and its extended service contacts are backed by an Assurant insurance subsidiary rated A "Excellent" by A.M. Best Co.
What if a customer purchased products at one of the closing stores and the product needs service?
For products covered under the manufacturer's warranty, customers should call the manufacturer.
For products covered under Circuit City Advantage®, guests can call the toll-free number that is printed on the bottom of the product receipt.

Goat Roper
01-25-2009, 10:03 AM
And who didn't see this one coming;

http://consumerist.com/5137962/behold-another-investigation-concludes-that-circuit-citys-liquidation-sale-is-awful?skyline=true&s=x

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/consumer&id=6620505

Hey, we're sorry if you're getting sick of hearing about how Circuit City's liquidation sale isn't a good deal, but it's our duty to inform you that yet another local news investigation has determined that CC's sales are crappy. In this case, they found every single item they shopped for, from DVDs to big screen TVs, cheaper on-line — and took a look at a laptop that is now being sold at a sale price that is more than before the store was taken over by liquidators. Let's listen in:

CC customer: "I walked out of the store and I thought... this is crazy!"

Action News: Because this laptop computer made by Sony was $799.99 on January 12, before Circuit City's Liquidation. The consumer says it was not on sale, but now during the liquidation, the laptop is being sold for $37 more.

The report showed the woman's receipt and the new sale price of the laptop.

We dug up a cached copy of Circuit City's website, and it shows that the laptop was being offered for $799.99, but that it had a MSRP of $929.99, which is the price that the liquidator is discounting from.

The same laptop is being offered by Newegg for slightly more than the liquidation sale, but the best sale price we could find was still Circuit City's before they were being liquidated.