PDA

View Full Version : its so cold..??????

That_Guy
01-14-2009, 11:20 PM
"HOW COLD IS IT?"

on my way home from my girlfriends place i read outside temps of -10 and intake temps of -6..

question is... at what point does cold air go from being a good thing to a bad thing for engines. or does it even matter. gas mileage wise so on and so forth.

Voodoo Chick
01-15-2009, 12:08 AM
At least it isn't what Alaska's been having.....they had -60, I cannot even imagine that. This weather can't be good for cars, my Camaro REALLY didn't want to start.

srt4eh
01-15-2009, 12:25 AM
to think...they offered me Ft Wainwright, AK as my next station...no thanks

Nick
01-15-2009, 12:34 AM
"HOW COLD IS IT?"

on my way home from my girlfriends place i read outside temps of -10 and intake temps of -6..

question is... at what point does cold air go from being a good thing to a bad thing for engines. or does it even matter. gas mileage wise so on and so forth.

I was wondering the same thing tonight. I'd think as long as it's warmed up, has oil flowing normally, and you aren't beating on it - you should be fine.

Al
01-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Cold air is denser and places more drag on your car.

Cold air also slows the combustion of fuel in the engine, so fuel econ also goes down.

You might also note that your car is more "responsive" to throttle inputs. You just might also make some extra power.

Lower-octane fuel might return your car to summer-like throttle characteristics.

Voodoo Chick
01-15-2009, 02:35 AM
My car is not happy in this weather at all. NOTHING feels quite right.

jbiscuit
01-15-2009, 07:42 AM
This cold weather is not good for your car at all...extreme cold never allows engine parts to ever fully warm up. Go touch your aluminum block after driving for 30 minutes and you'll see its still ice cold. Bout the only thing that will be warm under hood is your exhaust. Cold air is good for HP but extreme cold makes for slow burn like Al said....which means terrible fuel economy

sloLs1
01-15-2009, 07:50 AM
mini rant.... my car wont start this moring, and while im cranking it and its trying o so hard to start, the radiator deciedes it wants to crack and piss coolant everywhere! so now i just pluged the cummins in, we'll see if the diesel starts before my friggin DAILY DRIVER!!!

twicks69
01-15-2009, 07:56 AM
My GVR4 is having a blast in this weather! Turned on no problem (always sits outside), and let it warm up for 30 minutes @ 2000rpms, and another 15 minutes of warming up the transmission...then the fun begins! I love below zero air intake temps!

Gotta love BOOST!

DurtyKurty
01-15-2009, 08:07 AM
When it gets this cold, my bypass valve gets lazy. But other then that, :headbang

That_Guy
01-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Cold air is denser and places more drag on your car.

Cold air also slows the combustion of fuel in the engine, so fuel econ also goes down.

You might also note that your car is more "responsive" to throttle inputs. You just might also make some extra power.

Lower-octane fuel might return your car to summer-like throttle characteristics.

this makes alot of sense

CannotPost
01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
When it gets this cold, my bypass valve gets lazy. But other then that, :headbang

Bypass valve??? Lazy???

My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Poncho
01-15-2009, 10:21 AM
the car OVERHEATED today. Coolant isn't mixed too well and must have froze.

That_Guy
01-15-2009, 11:06 AM

that sucks...

Car Guy
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM

:confused

Either the ratio of coolant/water is correct or it's not, the two mixing together inside the cooling system should be done by the time it warms up the first time.....