PDA

View Full Version : 749hp/831hp stock internal LS1

Prince Valiant
02-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Link to the build up and current progress on the turbo LS1 (https://www.quartermileperformance.com/project-formulation.asp)

I can only "guess" that it won't live long :headbang :goof

Crawlin
02-08-2004, 02:45 PM
cough cough BULLSHIT cough cough.... :) right Jon?

Amazing how THEY are the only ones who can make their kit ACTUALLY work right, hehe.

Prince Valiant
02-08-2004, 02:49 PM
What are the others experience with this thing?

SMS 1
02-08-2004, 05:12 PM
:wstupid If this is typical why isn't everyone intstalling these kits?

jbiscuit
02-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Prince Valiant
I can only "guess" that it won't live long :headbang :goof

lame:flipoff:

BAD LS1
02-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Yeah if they try and blow it up by letting the tune get out of whack it might not last long but othwise if care is taken that thing will out last the rest of the drive train IMO.

Not many people are doing this because the cost of this turbo kit will crest 7K easily by the time its all said and done:rolleyes:

Crawlin
02-08-2004, 08:10 PM
most people aren't seeing these results because of complications with the installation of the kit. when it first came out, people that got them were having so many probs with parts and had to custom fab TONS of the parts or alter the ones that came with the kit. i'm not saying it's one particular person's fault, it's just with the limited space under the hood, it makes for some very tight clearance issues that may differ from car to car. ALSO, up above 600-650rwhp, the MAF starts to get maxed out and just cannot read the amount of air passing through it. that's when it is necessary to go with a $2500 FAST system. They have made it work on the stock electronics by bascially tricking the computer with the numbers inside LS1-edit. their are downsides to doing this though.

Prince Valiant
02-08-2004, 08:14 PM
I read somewhere that if you purchase this kit it is mandatory for them to install and tune...anyone else know about that?

To me I think this is astounding the level of power that the stock internals can take (provided the whole thing is in fact true...It seems that there are some credible skeptics in the mix in here as well as elswhere.

In general, what tends to be the weak spot on the LS series motors?

Also what are the typical power claims for this kit? I thought it was in the 5XXwhp range...

Crawlin
02-08-2004, 08:17 PM
yep, all those problems that were arising, led to bad publicity on the message boards and some heated exchanges on them as well. So finally I guess Rob just had it and said they would only do the full job on the car.

jon_we4
02-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Now all I'll say about the exact #'s is that alot of people fudge them. I know for a fact that kit wouldnt put more than 600 out of a built motor, upgraded turbo, FAST, and 18psi (approx).

I did not get the chance to read off of the threads where he was defending himself and harlen and him were arguing.

now the stock motor, same kit, stock PCM with a methonal kit and 5 approx less psi is supposed to make 720+?

every car is a little different, but to get the power levels they are getting to (if they are) what is supporting it is the methonal/alcohol or whatever they are putting into that motor.

This setup should not (tuned like this) should not be put in the hands of a normal person that does not own a dyno....it is a timebomb (and rob even says that)

ANY CORRECTLY DONE (safe) HIGH PSI LS1 BUILDUP WILL BE WAAAY MORE THAN 7G'S

SMS 1
02-09-2004, 02:11 AM
:wstupid thats what I was thinking:rolleyes:

Syclone0044
02-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by jon_we4
Now all I'll say about the exact #'s is that alot of people fudge them. I know for a fact that kit wouldnt put more than 600 out of a built motor, upgraded turbo, FAST, and 18psi (approx). It looks like he's been posting dyno numbers for months, each slightly higher than the last, and always carrying detailed explanations of what changes were made. If he's "fudging" the dyno sheets then he has done a pretty extensive job of it...

If a late 90's technology LS1 346CI V8 on 18 PSI with a built motor and standalone ECM only made 600 HP I'd be pretty damn disappointed, especially since that's standard fare for SBC-2 technology (w/mid 90s head tech) V6 motors in Syclones/Typhoons on the stock ECM, and similar results with the Buick 3.8 V6. LOL just rereading your claim of "Knowing for a fact that it wouldnt make more than 600 out of a built motor" makes me laugh at how absurd that is. You do realize that 15 PSI is 1 BAR or "twice the air", right?

now the stock motor, same kit, stock PCM with a methonal kit and 5 approx less psi is supposed to make 720+?

every car is a little different, but to get the power levels they are getting to (if they are) what is supporting it is the methonal/alcohol or whatever they are putting into that motor. I don't think Rob is "Supposing" the kit will make anything, he is just reporting what it DID make in this particular instance. He goes out of his way to suggest not repeating his procedures at home. As for the methanol, you need to look into it more. It mainly provides a high octane effect to low-octane fuel, and it has side benefits of cooling the intake charge as well as releasing a very small amount of oxygen. It's not nitromethane. Did you see the dyno graphs he posted with the methanol kit turned off? Still in the 700s. He is using the methanol to supplement his inadequate fuel system. Sort of like a "7th injector" kit sold for Turbo V6s if you've heard of them.

This setup should not (tuned like this) should not be put in the hands of a normal person that does not own a dyno....it is a timebomb (and rob even says that)

ANY CORRECTLY DONE (safe) HIGH PSI LS1 BUILDUP WILL BE WAAAY MORE THAN 7G'S I agree with both of your last points, this much power on a stock bottom end is a timebomb (with the caveat that if you are careful it may last a lot longer thank you think), as well as the fact that a high PSI LS1 buildup will be more than $7000 considering the tranny/clutch/rear-end at a minimum would all need to be upgraded in addition to the actual turbo kit itself.

Josh

jon_we4
02-09-2004, 06:58 AM
You do realize that the 1 bar MAP sensor only reads 14.5 on the vacuum side right? These cars control the fuel pressure and everything about the fuel from the PCM ....and the PCM has no idea what boost is. (Except in Harlen's case. but he is a GM Engineer)

I own a 87 Turbo Regal, I understand how it works... and my PCM has no clue what my boost is at but my PCM also does not control all the fueling at WOT.

There was a car that supposed dyno'd the same...and that company did all the work on it. When I saw it, the car did not dyno even close. Now many things could happen...but the car shouldn't loose 200+ HP when it is running nice and tuned properly. Some people are not as innovative as they try to sound.

Considering the DFI setup would be $3,500 (retail with the fastrack harness) and a complete fuel setup can easily go over $1,000----that is how I believe it can not be done (High Boost) for less than $7,000 on an LS1. Also because even a stock C.I. short block (built) is $2899, and you will want that for the bottom end and the 9:1 CR. The trans and the rear end will need work when its all said and done too... along with the few suspension parts that will help get the power to the ground. Going FI on an LS1 is needs to be a fully committed project.