PDA

View Full Version : TPMS Reset Tool

DirtyMax
01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Does anyone have, or know a good place to buy, a GM Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor location relocation tool?

I had my tires rotated at a friends shop yesterday (because it was there anyways) and as such, the sensors were in the wrong places. He was trying the method in the book (deflating the tires until the sensor "senses" where it is). After an hour of it not cooperating, I got on my way.

I pulled into a Chevy Dealer and explained my pickle. He grabbed this sensor thing, went around the truck, and had them all figured out within 30 seconds.

He sent me on my way but he said normally they charge. They were just really busy and I was nice to him so he tossed me a bone.

Anyone know where I can get one of these tools? Id just buy one if they were reasonably priced. I see no sense troubling the dealership when a. I can rotate my own tires at home and b. they can be making $$ doing better things. If that gadget is buku bucks, I'll just pay the dealer.

P.S. These sensors are dumb as shit. What happened to a friggin tire gauge?!?!? And to make matters worse, they aren't even accurate. I checked them with my gauge and so did the shop and both of our readings were identical. The "sensors" were off by almost 5 lbs. and didn't sort themselves out after a long drive either... :rolleyes:

xxtremeteam
01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I know ebay has ford ones cheap maybe start there?

DirtyMax
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks! Yeah, the Ford ones are cheap and easy to get a hold of. They don't work on the GM's though and the GM ones seem harder to locate.

xxtremeteam
01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I wonder why the ford ones would be easy to get and gm would make it hard?? couldnt one of the local tunners just turn them off?? I know my bro is looking for a sencond set of sensors for his ranger so he can change wheels this just seem dumb that they use these tps sensors now

DirtyMax
01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
The tuners can turn them off but GM now can recalls the last 10 times a tuner has been hooked up to their ECM and any flashing done. And if it comes up that a tuner was plugged in that was not theirs, they have grounds to deny warranty claims. This is the only reason my DPF hasn't fallen off my truck thus far and a tuner running on it yet.

xxtremeteam
01-14-2009, 12:38 PM
I see that makes sense

wrath
01-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Mine on my G5 were spot on. Maybe you guys both have crap gauges?

I've only used a Tech2 or the standard tire pressure changing method.

DirtyMax
01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Maybe you guys both have crap gauges?

Yeah both whose read the exact same thing? Possible but not likely. But since it was possible, I stopped at Scrub a Dub and theirs read the same thing. The "old fashioned" readings were within 5 lbs of what the dash said but the dash was right at the minimum so kept tripping the low tire pressure warning. I had them filled 5 psi more because it was still within the safe range of the tire and also so that it wouldn't keep tripping the light.

Probably has something to do with the cold too. The tires would go up a few psi after driving but when I'd gauge them, the readings are still not in line with the dash.

wrath
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
What year is it? I'd go warranty it. Or if they're all four tires are off then I'd say the BCM needs to be flashed. All of the ones I've dealt with (16, so far) have all been spot on.

DirtyMax
01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah I will make them deal with it next time it needs to go in for something. I'd rather they just turned them off since I know how to check tire pressures all by myself. Apparently for liability reasons, they do not do that....

lilws6
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Since tires plus got there reset tool i've used that but i've always gotten the light to reset by the traditional method of letting air out until it honks at you "starting at the LF going clock wise" then on to the next tire. when your done turn the key off and set the pressures Wala the lights off. to start the procedure you have to press and hold the lock and unlock button on the newer trucks the older ones you had to set the e-brake and turn the headlight switch on and off 3 "or 4" times ending in the on possition hope this helps in the future?

brotherbenn83
01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
4 times, and end in the "off/auto" position

I haven't had any read more than 1-2 psi off a standard gauge, it is more likely that you have a shit gauge then 4 crappy TP sensors

Breecher_7
01-14-2009, 05:54 PM
If it happens agian and you cant do it the traditional way just take the truck in and say the TPMS wigged out and they will just reset them "under warranty". Just inflate them to where there supoosed to be and deny rotating them. Mine are very accurate to, within a half a pound of my good digital gauge I use for my track bike...

brotherbenn83
01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
The tool is a kent-moore J-46079. You can find them used in the $300-350 range, brand new they are near $700. That and they eat through "d" batteries very quickly.

That_Guy
01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
just buy a dashhawk..

Reverend Cooper
01-15-2009, 07:09 PM
take a pvc pipe,cap it off securely on one end,put the tire pressure sensors in it,drill a hole in another end cap so a valve stem can be installed and put the cap on the pipe with the sensors in it. air it up to the proper level and leave it in the trunk,put regular valve stems in your wheel and your done

DirtyMax
01-15-2009, 10:43 PM
They're probably just goofy cuz they're cccccold as fffffawk. My good gauge, a dealership's gauge, and a lube joint's gauge all read the same thing so I don't think it's a crappy gauge(s).

I will wait until it's back to reasonable temperatures and see how they pan out. The odds of all 4 of them being off is unlikely.

I just wanted to know if the tool was reasonable enough to purchase. At $350 used, I'll just stop by the dealer and hope I get a guy in a good mood.

lilws6
01-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Yea i usually get only a few psi off of what the vehicle says and i bought my gauge from walmart :goof

Breecher_7
02-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Yep, rotated my tires tonight and now my shit is acting up.... To the dealer tomarrow...

lilws6
02-10-2009, 09:46 PM
our reset tool is a OTC unit It also eats Batteries like no tomarow :-/