PDA

View Full Version : How much time would it take.....

Car Guy
01-14-2009, 08:09 AM
for a 5 gallon bucket of water to freeze solid in temperatures this 'warm'...??? :shades

I don't know why I think of crap like this but it's one of many things I've been pondering lately in my brain.....:goof

PureSound15
01-14-2009, 08:59 AM
If it were HOT water it wouldn't take long at all - Maybe a couple hours?

Cold water would take quite a bit longer - interesting thing to think about though!

Cutlass Queen
01-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Only one way to find out....

do it lol

Silver350
01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah do it justin.

Crawlin
01-14-2009, 09:38 AM
and make sure you are standing in it! always wanted to see ice boots like the mob does with cement, haha

Prince Valiant
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
If it were HOT water it wouldn't take long at all - Maybe a couple hours?

Cold water would take quite a bit longer - interesting thing to think about though!Not exactly...the Mpemba effect only works within certain conditions/parameters...NOT as a general rule.

62 furious
01-14-2009, 09:59 AM
and make sure you are standing in it! always wanted to see ice boots like the mob does with cement, haha
got a fire going once your boots are solid:rolf

That_Guy
01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
got a fire going once your boots are solid:rolf

hahahaha.... somebody should do this.. last year we where fishing up at the flambue last winter and it was so cold that i spit a some snot out and when it hit the ground at the launch it crackled.. i believe it was like 20 below or so...

Nick
01-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Depends on the area that the water is being contained in and the possible containers insulating properties.

DirtyMax
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
If Chuck Norris authorizes the freeze... 30 seconds.

theavenger333
01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
it also takes quite a while for something very thick to freeze, aka the bucket is deep and big around. the cold has to set all the way in. the outside would freeze quickly, but the inside would be liquid, like what happens with ice cubes in the tray

Voodoo Chick
01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
If Chuck Norris authorizes the freeze... 30 seconds.

:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :thumbsup

1320PNY
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
How much water is in the bucket?
Is the bucket closed with a lid?
What is the temperature of the water to start?
What is the ambient temperature?
Wind speed/direction?
Surface area and heat conductivity of the bucket based on material?

Ambient Temperature = Tf
Water temperature at start = Ts

Time taken to reach the freezing point,

t=1/K ln (Ts-Tf)/(0-Tf)

working in deg C (ie: final temp = 0C).

K is a constant that is dependant on air flow profiles and container geometry, so it is essentially unknown until you determine it experimentally for a given geometry and set of conditions.

The second part of the solution is the crystallization time (which will be much smaller than the time till crystallization, so may be neglected), and this too is extremely sensitive to conditions such as water purity, vibration levels and container geometry, so there's no way to tell this number theoretically.

So if the water purity is in question, and the container is agitated due to wind and open topped and made of metal, you will get a totally different answer than if the water was purified by reverse osmosis and the container is covered and made from plastic.

Also, temperature (ambient) is ever changing, so your Tf becomes a calculus equation with a delta "t" for time.

Or, you could just put a bucket outside and post the result! :devil

Voodoo Chick
01-14-2009, 04:32 PM
I say, fill the bucket, keep an eye on it, and then write a long and detailed post on the results, lol!!!

lilws6
01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Dude 1320 you got way tomuch time on your hands. I was off all day i coulda did this experiment i didn't go anywhere i coulda sat and watched the damn bucket and wrote and epic post on how long it takes to freeze a bucket of water

michelle
01-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Wind speed/direction?

Ambient Temperature = Tf

t=1/K ln (Ts-Tf)/(0-Tf)

K is a constant that is dependant on air flow profiles and container geometry, so it is essentially unknown until you determine it experimentally for a given geometry and set of conditions.

The second part of the solution is the crystallization time (which will be much smaller than the time till crystallization, so may be neglected), and this too is extremely sensitive to conditions such as water purity, vibration levels and container geometry, so there's no way to tell this number theoretically.

So if the water purity is in question, and the container is agitated due to wind and open topped and made of metal, you will get a totally different answer than if the water was purified by reverse osmosis and the container is covered and made from plastic.

Also, temperature (ambient) is ever changing, so your Tf becomes a calculus equation with a delta "t" for time.

I <3 posts like these.

Car Guy
01-14-2009, 09:50 PM
I will get something going tonight.....:headbang

wikked
01-14-2009, 10:14 PM
In this temp, it will definitely be solid by morning, if you do it now.

BoosTT
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
36 hours is my guess. Ice on a lake takes a long time to get 2' thick.

lilws6
01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
but thats way more suface area than a 5 gallon bucket the water in the bucket can get colder faster then a 1,000,000 gallon lake lol

That_Guy
01-14-2009, 11:22 PM
i give it 20 hrs in this weather

lilws6
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
i believ on a lake in general rule is at 0* F. i believe its an inch an hour and its neg. number right now so i say 15-18 hours

Al
01-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Wind speed/direction?

Ambient Temperature = Tf

t=1/K ln (Ts-Tf)/(0-Tf)

Does it not take more energy to melt a pound of ice than to bring it from 0 to 100 degrees C?

Car Guy
01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
MISSION UNDERWAY.....:burnout

I wanted to get the ‘scientific experiment’ started last night but quickly realized I didn't have two 5 gallon buckets that were clean enough. Woke up this morning still wanting to try it out and ended up finding two plastic tubs that are actually bottom halves of old cat litter boxes. I placed both of them outside at 3pm with equal amounts of H20, one with COLD water (40*) :xmas and the other with HOT water (140*) :onfire . What surprised me most is in the two minutes it took me to get back outside (after getting the hot water) the cold water had already created ice, if you look closely in the second picture you can see it.....

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/100_0618.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/100_0619.jpg

1320PNY
01-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Does it not take more energy to melt a pound of ice than to bring it from 0 to 100 degrees C?

Yep.

Phase changes are another calculation.

What I was figuring is how long it would take for the ice to get to 32°F.

Car Guy
01-15-2009, 07:20 PM
It has been 4 hours.....

The cold bucket has about an inch of ice on the surface while the (used to be) hot bucket has about a half an inch.....:headbang

Voodoo Chick
01-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Will there be any pics of this experiment????

Car Guy
01-15-2009, 08:48 PM
See post #24.....:thumbsup

Voodoo Chick
01-15-2009, 08:51 PM
See post #24.....:thumbsup

Oh, cool! First time I looked, my computer was showing the lovely little red "X's" but now I see the pic.

wikked
01-16-2009, 03:10 AM
no more update? they're bricks by now :P

Voodoo Chick
01-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Maybe when they are completely frozen, you can make some ice-sculptures, lol!!

Al
01-16-2009, 04:05 AM
Although non of you are wondering this right now: It's going to hit +35 in Fairbanks today!

Voodoo Chick
01-16-2009, 04:07 AM
Although non of you are wondering this right now: It's going to hit +35 in Fairbanks today!

Yeah, and it'll be 75 in Phoenix, AZ. Lucky bastards. :flipoff2:

Car Guy
01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
no more update? they're bricks by now :P

I will be going outside to check on them once I look like the kid from X-mas story......:rolf

Yeah, and it'll be 75 in Phoenix, AZ. Lucky bastards. :flipoff2:

Just talked to my cousin in Phoenix, he asked me if the cell phones were still working in this cold weather.....:durr