PDA

View Full Version : Weird foods.

boostaddict14
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
So I was cruising through the local german grocery store and
was in the meat department. So i bought these wurst(sausages) take them home and read what they are. Well it turns out that it's horse meat, thought it was kind of weird but ate it anyways. Turns out it was ok.

What's the weirdest food you have ever willingly ate?

That_Guy
01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
chocolate covered crickets.. and snake...

Voodoo Chick
01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Can't say I ever ate anything weird.....Oh, except for maybe this DISGUSTING sh*t my grandmother used to make when I was little. It was basicly just jell-o made out of unflavored gelatin and boiled-down assorted pig parts. It was called "Zultz" and was served with vinegar. It was NASTY.

Flicktitty
01-12-2009, 05:11 PM
chocolate covered crickets.. and snake...

:thumbsup
yeap, didn't taste very weird to me.....

some chinese food is pretty odd too.

boostaddict14
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I also ate escargot and man was it chewy.

1320PNY
01-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Can't say I ever ate anything weird.....Oh, except for maybe this DISGUSTING sh*t my grandmother used to make when I was little. It was basicly just jell-o made out of unflavored gelatin and boiled-down assorted pig parts. It was called "Zultz" and was served with vinegar. It was NASTY.

+1 on the special Polock diet. My Grandmother made this for my Mom all the time we had a special gathering. This stuff is aweful!

I've had "charnina", also called duck's blood soup, which wasn't grand either. I have eaten raw scallops, Kaibashira (kah-ee-bah-shee-rah), which just explode in your mouth and make you feel like you are drowning. I have also had python (ball I believe), eels, octupus (raw).

Stuff I was forced to eat by bullies before I was 250lb:
A spider
grass
dirt

My favorite crazy thing is Wasabi Tobiko with Quail Egg. This is tiny raw fish eggs wrapped in seaweed with a small quail egg in the middle. It is friggen awesome!

SSDude
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Just the normal stuff
Alligator
Ostrich
Buffalo
Goat
Rocky mountain oysters
Shark
Swordfish

lordairgtar
01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
When I was traveling the country in the 70s, a group of Native Canadians picked me up in a Fargo pick up truck (TRIVIA, what's a Fargo) and invited me to a big gathering of Native Americans and Canadians in Washington. I already knew that to refuse food in different cultures was a no-no, so I resigned myself to accept whatever I was given. I was given rock steamed eels. Outside of the very dark meat, it was very tasty along with the baked potatoes and fry bread. Also had jerky which was very spicy indeed. Stayed there the whole weekend participating in all the things they did; dancing, drumming, singing, praying to the spirits of nature. Listening to the elders of the various tribes was awesome.

Prince Valiant
01-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Alligator
Frog legs
Turtle
armadillo
Possum
Racoon
Nutria
Stingray
eel

...and lastly, and most wierdly, "Rocky Mountain Oysters" (AKA ball's of a steer). They weren't terrible; actually, with all the seasoning, breading, and being deep fried, it seemed very much like eating fried clams, with not very much meat (thankfully) and were quite good.

I'd like to have Kangaroo and emu if and when I ever go to Austrailia

GRAMPS SS
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
blood and tongue sausage......very German....always had it as a kid...brought some home during the summer and it was like i killed someone...people just don't want to try new things...

or silts ..try that while your in Germany....

Reverend Cooper
01-12-2009, 08:05 PM
monkey brains

Voodoo Chick
01-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I once had a thing called a ''veat.'' It was a "vegetarian salmon" made out of tofu or some such. It wasn't too bad, once it was fried to a crisp, but it was weird, and I wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

Korndogg
01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I love trying new things but the gf is a very picky eater so I don't get a change to try new things too often.

fivonut
01-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Deep fried snickers on a stick.....

Voodoo Chick
01-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Deep fried snickers on a stick.....

That sounds like it might be pretty good, though....

brotherbenn83
01-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Bear...tasted similar to meatloaf.

brotherbenn83
01-12-2009, 08:30 PM
monkey brains

Stop hanging out with Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom:wow

fivonut
01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
That sounds like it might be pretty good, though....

It was OK, it's just the weirdest thing I've eaten. Don't get out much...

GRAMPS SS
01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
whos had a bad fish taco...come on...someone had to ask...why not the old guy...

SSDude
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
or silts ..try that while your in Germany....

Yummy
Head cheese (sulz, sülze, souse, brawn)

Head cheese is a jellied loaf originally made entirely from the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is cooked down into a concentrated gelatinous broth. The meat is removed, chopped, seasoned, and mixed with broth then placed in a mold and chilled until set. When cool, it is unmolded and thinly sliced. It’s usually eaten at room temperature as an appetizer. Souse or sulz is similar to head cheese except that sweet-sour flavor is added by a vinegar pickling liquid. Russians favor a type of head cheese with large chunks of tongue suspended in gelatin.
http://www.chow.com/assets/basics/meat/405.20090113010320.jpg

GRAMPS SS
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
^^^^^^^^ my grandmother made that all the time..she was born in Germany...we would eat it all the time...when i was younger it was good...tried it at a few places since...but no one made it as good as she did...
she would cut it like a 1/4 inch thick and place it on a plate and pour vinegar over it...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm memories....to have grandparents from another country...my other grandparents were from Ireland...you don't want to eat some of the shit we ate growing up with Irish grandparents...i still won't eat some of that crap...but the old German foods i still love...

lordairgtar
01-13-2009, 11:58 PM
When I was a kid...Czarnina, Kieshka, Zilche, Beef tongue.

Voodoo Chick
01-14-2009, 02:53 AM
When I was a kid...Czarnina, Kieshka, Zilche, Beef tongue.

Oh, God.....Kieshka.....:puke My grandmother used to make that all the time, she had a Polish friend who had introduced her to it, and she loved it......Just thinking about it makes me feel like gagging, lol!!!