PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a welder - headers

PB86MCSS
01-11-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm wondering if anyone on the board is a decent welder or can point me in the direction of one locally. I have a little project that involves working on a pair of headers. Feel free to reply here or PM me.

Thanks.

GRAMPS SS
01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
TOM @OTE...
RON......juicedimpss
Skeeter.........

PB86MCSS
01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks Wayne....I'll wait to see if any of those guys are interested to reply or PM me before I solicit them :) .

juicedimpss
01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
building from scratch,or just changing a few tubes?

Car Guy
01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Not trying to thread jack but I need some fairly easy welding/fabricating work done on my `88 5.0L Ford. I fabricated a 'custom' exhaust but didn't have time to get the O2 sensors installed. I already have the bungs; drill two holes, weld in bungs, screw and plug in O2 sensors, done.....:)

If anyone is up for it please PM me with a location and a price.....:thumbsup

62 furious
01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
have welder out of work will let you know if I can do it or not

PB86MCSS
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Very minor work, actually these headers have AIR tubes which I want removed, I can cut them off myself but just want someone to weld in a small glob in each hole. They are currently Jet Hot coated, after welding I'll grind the outside/inside down and have them sent out to Jet Hot again for a new coating. Just sick of the AIR tubes and want to clean up the engine bay and since they are already off and the car is torn apart... :) .

1320PNY
01-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I have a Dynasty 200 DX that I bought six months ago. I'm a noob welder, but I have a few projects under my belt and they seem to be fine. I have an engineering degree and one of my welded structures is supporting 5200lb right now, so I'm sure a tack or a spot is within my abilities.

The issue is going to be when I can do it. My business is not welding, so I would be willing to do it for free as long as your schedule is flexible. The unit is technically portable, but I would prefer if you brought the work to me. If you PM me we can set up a time that is agreeable. The unit is in Menomonee Falls off of Silver Spring at our shop, so that's the local.

That said, I am not trying to take work away from starving welders. I just have minimal use for this welder and don't mind helping fellow BCMers out.

juicedimpss
01-11-2009, 07:47 PM
^^^
thats cheaper than i can do it for,electricity costs me money. :D

1320PNY
01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
If there are any experienced welders that want to come teach me, I'm open. I can provide a welder, the building, the electricity, the gas, etc. I have two auto dimming helmets and plenty of gloves and stuff. I even have extra XXL work uniforms if you don't want to get your own clothes dirty. I'm just looking for a good TIG or Stick welding lesson. You can even bring piece work.

Also, if anyone on here wants a good welder to do the work, we can all sit in and learn as I'm sure the experienced person has their own helmet. We just need to coordinate a time. I'm good after 5 and up 'till about 10 PM most nights during the week and Sunday during the day.

Korndogg
01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I can teach you stick if you want. TIG I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching since I haven't had much experience with it.

PB86MCSS
01-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replies....PM sent 1320PNY.

GRAMPS SS
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I can teach you stick if you want. TIG I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching since I haven't had much experience with it.

yea you have alot of experiance with the stick don't you...:thumbsup

SLOWC5
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm capable of doing some welding, Done Quite a few exhaust pieces in my lifetime.

JEFF

theavenger333
01-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm capable of doing some welding, Done Quite a few exhaust pieces in my lifetime.

JEFF

vouch for jeff..... he can indeed

Korndogg
01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
yea you have alot of experiance with the stick don't you...:thumbsup

tons

1320PNY
01-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Tentative plan is for Thursday evening in Menomonee Falls. I'm waiting to hear back on the material and wall thickness so I can get some proper weld rod. If we go stick, we can grind the weld smooth with the stuff here. If we TIG, then there won't be much work at all. He said the holes are 1/4" and TIG might be the way to go.

So who's got time Thursday night? Give me a PM. Thanks.

Korndogg
01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Well I could help out thurs night but at what time? Im working in germantown right now but I get out of work at 3 and I really don't want to drive all the way home and then drive all the way back up there.

PB86MCSS
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Here is a pic of one side of the headers...I cut off the tubes today, the tubes were welded on by Hooker so its not perfectly smooth where they met the primaries. I don't need a perfect finish but hope to get it ground down so after its re-coated its not noticeable unless you are looking for it.
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp358/PWB23/IMG_1626.jpg

PB86MCSS
01-15-2009, 08:44 PM
For a noob 1320PNY did a heck of a job on the headers! Ground the welds down too so they look really good, a little fine sanding and new ceramic coating and they shouldn't noticeable at all really. Thanks Shaun!

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp358/PWB23/IMG_1634.jpg

Lash
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Not bad for a newb. What filler rod did you use?

Whats a newb doing with a welding machine like that anyways???

1320PNY
01-15-2009, 10:45 PM
It was an "experience". So I have this welder (bought it for 1 job that paid for itself) and it does both Stick and TIG. We started out stick and I blew a hole in the headers about the size of a dime! I was like "damn", I'm not doing Paul any favors here. I figure it had to be something with the coating and my lack of experience. So I convert the thing to TIG and put 35lb of straight Argon on it with an ER70S6 "mild steel" rod. I used the smallest cup and a medium probe with the probe sticking out about 1/16".

It seemed to work out ok. Funny thing was it all took about an hour and a half total. It took about 1/2 hour to set up the work and blow a hole in it. It took another 15 minutes to TIG the other holes. It then took another half hour to grind my nasty welds down and go back to "fix" two that were jacked.

I have to say that although I was doing Paul a favor, he did me a favor by not freaking out! All in all I learned a lesson and he has his headers the way he wanted them. I guess next time we need an instructor, or at least a spare set of "trial" headers!