PDA

View Full Version : MS Outlook question

y2kws6
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Never came across this before and wondering if any of you have with some type of solution.

When I prepare an email single spaced and send it here at work to an internal person they open in and the email is all double spaced.

We are doing some tests to see if it is the sender or receiver, but not all emails happen this way.

We are wondering if this is happenning to our customers also.

Tahnks,
Dan

y2kws6
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
One thing that we did find out that it is when we are send from version 2003 to 2007 they have to take all the information that they typed from the email copy it into word highlight it all, go into the paragraphs option and change the spacing from "Auto" before and after to "0pt" and then recopy it back to the email and send it to the 2007 version email to have it look the same as the original.
I have not found anything in 2003 to make sure that it stays zero pt at single spaced.

Dan

animal
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Prolly some weird rich text anomaly. Rich text = worse thing to ever happen to email clients. Does it send fine if you set it to plain text? (i suspect it will but it's a starting point).

deuceWI
01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Or some busted code in your templates if using html. I'd look for ways to reset your Word / Outlook templates, google should be full of junk explaining how.

That's why I send everything plain text. It works, and it's small. I don't need no goofy fonts or colored backgrounds, just gimme the message.

animal
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
The world should be in plaintext.

y2kws6
01-09-2009, 11:35 AM
If it was created in HTML and then changed to plain text it makes it double spaced, but if they type in plain text it is fine.

Dan

animal
01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
The mail server you're sending the HTML through... does it allow rich text or does it maybe downconvert everything to plaintext behind the scenes? I know that is an option on some SMTP servers.

1320PNY
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
We had the same issue, and you guys are on the right track. It has to do with the server settings and HTML vs. Text Based emails. I'm not the IT guy and unfortunately he went to Florida until next Friday, so I can't give more details.

I do know we have a 2003 Server and the issue started when everyone got Office 2007.

y2kws6
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
We had the same issue, and you guys are on the right track. It has to do with the server settings and HTML vs. Text Based emails. I'm not the IT guy and unfortunately he went to Florida until next Friday, so I can't give more details.

I do know we have a 2003 Server and the issue started when everyone got Office 2007.

Keep me posted, this is our exact problem with the same equipment.

animal
01-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Did you by chance check out the SMTP server settings like I said?