PDA

View Full Version : svt lightning in MM&FF

buttersgt350
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM
i just picked up the feb. '09 issue of MM&FF and there is a lightning in there and hes from the milwaukee area. he took out the auto trans and put in a 6-speed. he got the work done at bennett coachworks. nice truck. anybody else see it.

dr doom
01-07-2009, 05:39 PM
i saw that too, its a pretty cool truck.

BadAzzGTA89
01-07-2009, 06:00 PM
:pics

86GUTLASS
01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I saw it on Bennett Coachworks website.Nice truck

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Is the owner a member of BCM hopefully ? :)

Z28Envy
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I saw that too. It is basically stock except for rims and they put a manual tranny in it.

BlackLightning
01-07-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.hotrodbuilders.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?56

word is it cost around 16k if the one above is the same one in the magazine.

nismodave
01-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Thats slick....Havent seen ya around lately Black Lightning.

BadAzzGTA89
01-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I will have to talk to Mike at the MILE to see who that is!

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow they did a nice job installing it, the shifter position reminds me of the SROD trans shifter I had in a mid 80's F150. Bet its a blast to drive, I still like autos better.

buttersgt350
01-08-2009, 09:34 AM
yep, thats the same one as in the magazine. i would of posted pics but im somewhat computer challenged:stare

Feature Pony
01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I remember when this truck was being built. Money was no object and I believe the owner of the truck passed away and last I heard it was for sale.

animal
01-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I was one of the 3 mentioned in the article as having taken a ride in it right after it was finished. I think Bob's recollection of my ride in the truck was inaccurate, seeing as I was the last ride of the 3, and I wasn't at all mad about him throwing the truck into corners. I thought it was cool, and the other two guys did too as far as I know. Might've just been a little spice to the article though who knows.

BlueOvalBolt
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I think Bob's recollection of my ride in the truck was inaccurate . . .

Being one of the 3, I would have to agree for a couple of reasons. For one, he let me drive it (it was great) and two, I don't remember either you or Joel not liking it. I think Joel wasn't crazy about it but I remember that he still thought it was pretty impressive.

Lastly, I don't know when this article was written but it makes it sound like Ed, or "Eddie" as Bob used to call him, is around and still driving the truck.

"While Bob says Ed has a blast driving around in his truck . . ."

Eddie has been dead for at least 2 years. At the time of his death, his estate had it up for sale for $30K. I don't know if it ever sold but the pictures in the article have Eddie's original plates on it. I last saw it for sale through Autotrader.com in September and it still had the same plates on it.

My impressions of driving it were that with the manual, it would make a great autocrosser and open track truck. Controlling that motor with a manual made that truck a completely different animal. The downsides are that the very low Lightining redline takes some getting used to as I hit the rev limiter many times. Driving it around town would problably get tiresome and it would not be a very good at the strip as the auto does a great job in a straight line.

BOSS LX
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Might've just been a little spice to the article though who knows.

Muscle Mustangs tend to add a lot of "BS" to their articles!:rolf

Definitely a cool truck. I would have put the money elsewhere, but still a cool project.