PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Toyota sequoia Maintenance light on.

Flicktitty
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
My mom has a 2008 Toyota sequoia and the maintenance req. light is on. I'm not sure if it is for the a oil change and it never got cleared or what it is.

Anyone know what do to or how you can check what it is? or do i have to take it to a dealership? I don't want to have to drive 30 min to a dealership and have them clear the checkoil thing. anyone? any idea.

Oh, and she doesn't have the owners manual, my dad was looking at it up north and left it up there.

Car Guy
01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
How many miles are on it currently...???

DirtyMax
01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Autozone can probably scan and clear it if it was just because of the OC light.

Usually thay have a "Maint Req'd" light though for that type of stuff, don't they?

If it was that new, I wouldn't even hesitate to take it in, 30 min drive or not.

nismodave
01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Go to Autozone, they can check the code.

Car Guy
01-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure if a parts store will reset a maintenance light, which IS different than a check engine light.....

This is what ALLDATA shows under 'maintenance light', and I can't get into Mitchell right now so I don't know what they recommend. Just remember that the light came on for a reason and don't turn it off just because it is 'annoying', check to see why it came on and take care if it first.....:thumbsup

Oil Change Reset Procedure

Turn the engine switch off with the trip meter A reading shown.
While pressing the trip meter reset button, turn the engine switch on.
Without multi-information display

Continue to press and hold the button until the trip meter displays 000000.
With multi-information display

Continue to press and hold the button until "MAINT REQD RESET MODE COMPLETE" appears in the display.

Flicktitty
01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
the truck has 6,600 miles on it. I might take it to Autozone tonight and see what happens. Thanks.'

Thanks car guy i'll give it a shot.

buttersgt350
01-07-2009, 01:10 PM
i think autozone can only scan a check engine light, not a maintenance light. with those miles its just a general maintenance thing, probably oil change. if you had the owners manual you can check to see why it might be going off, and usually the manual will give directions as how to reset the light after the maintenance has been done, just in case you do it yourself and not take it to the dealer.

Car Guy
01-07-2009, 01:12 PM
No problem Flick.....:thumbsup

I also just came across this website, it tells you exactly what you need to have done and when.....:headbang

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/

nismodave
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I called Coop. Car guy is right.

Flicktitty
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
thanks guys, i saw the car had a oil change done at 4,890. so i wonder if the place didn't clear it.

Car Guy
01-07-2009, 04:13 PM
If it was done before 5k miles the light was NOT on when they did the oil change......