PDA

View Full Version : 05' Chevelle SS

Scales
02-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Hot off the presses of Chevy High Perfomance..... It's a RWD 350 HP 6-speed.... 13.62 1/4.....I say build it!!!!

(Sorry about the pic.. It was a quick shot of my cover off my webcam...)

Scales
02-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Maybe this pic is better no????

Scales
02-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Ok.... Both pics suck, but the car is still pretty cool in my book....

MoreTorque
02-04-2004, 12:33 PM
What makes it different from a GTO?

Scales
02-04-2004, 12:40 PM
True, it's basiclly is a GTO with stripes, but I still think it looks slick! They have to start somewhere if they are gonna bring back the Camaro in 07' (fingers crossed)

Knyghtmare
02-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Lets put an LS1 in a Cavalier and call it a Chevelle!

GM's cutting corners bullshit is really beginning to piss me off...

Who the fuck is running that place? I say we tar and feather the bastard.

:S:

This **** is unbelievable...

Knyghtmare
02-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Seriously, You dont see Ford taking a damn Taurus and putting a different motor in it and calling it a GT or a Thunderbird...

You dont see Dodge taking an Intrepid and putting the Hemi in it and calling it a Charger or Challenger...

Prince Valiant
02-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Honestly, I don't know why people have a problem with the GTO? I personally think it's a handsome car, simple and understated with only a minimal amount of flash. Really, that's all the GTO originally was, same with the chevelle.

Take a Lemans, put a scoop here and a different trim there and *POOF* One Pontiac GTO. Chevelles were dressier malibu's...It was the motors that set those things apart, just like the current GTO and maybe chevelle.

Personally I think knytmare's arguments were far more applicable to the ImpalaSS's of the last few years...and with respect to Dan, this year as well but to a far lesser degree. At least this year they've got a motor pulling the car the way an SS car should pull...it is just that my preference would dictate RWD.

Knyghtmare
02-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I guess I am just frustrated that they dont stand out. I think they should. Even if Chevelles and what not started as a plain car, they have to this date earned the right to look like something new and original to its name.

JC70SS
02-04-2004, 08:56 PM
:confused :confused What a disgrace to the most amazing muscle car ever produced!!

jon_we4
02-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Knyghtmare

GM's cutting corners bullshit is really beginning to piss me off...

:S:

This **** is unbelievable...

Cutting corners is one thing that is not done with these cars. Yes they save alot of time and money by using exisiting platforms and tooling, but thats how you get fair priced cars quicker. Have you sat in a GTO yet? Besides the dash information center and the hight of the car it's supieror than a corvette or any other GM car I have ever seen... and I drive alot of performance cars.

This is also one of the nicest cars to work on. Besides the driverside header its all very open and nice. There could be a very nice and easy do-it-youself turbo it for these cars without fitment problems.

It would be cool if they re-tooled a new car, but I dont trust the american exec's to approve the car I expect.... I'm gladly taking the Holden cars for now.

Crawlin
02-04-2004, 09:38 PM
looks like a GTO? well damn, let's go back and look at the REAL cars of the past....

Chevelle SS, Gran Sport/GSX, GTO, 442

They ALL had the same frame, suspension, rears, etc..

there were a lot of parts that set them apart yeah, but they were all built on the same chassis. SAME as the camaro/firebird. That's how it's done folks. Auto manufacturer's arent here to please people, they are here to make a dollar. So if it takes having many things the same within a platform, it'll save them, AND US, money. that is part of the reason they went to a GM engine instead of specific Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Chevy motors.

I like the new gto and it's better than not having anything. Should they have gotten rid of the f-body to do it, hell no. if they bring back a Chevelle, it'll be very cool.

just relax and be thankful that they aren't going all Kia on us. :)

Anakonda69
02-04-2004, 09:48 PM
it looks like a big cavalier......

MoreTorque
02-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Anakonda69
it looks like a big cavalier......

Exactly... the front kills it. Ill take the GTO :thumbsup

Snowseeker
02-05-2004, 02:48 AM
WOW starting to look like a 02 mustang front end now....

Al
02-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Chevy has an all new car coming out. They will call it the sportser and it will be a small 2 seat convertable with a (hot, possible s/c) 4 cyl in it. It is rumored to be the cheaper alternative to the corvette and will be comparable to an s2000.

Scales
02-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Prince Valiant
Honestly, I don't know why people have a problem with the GTO? I personally think it's a handsome car, simple and understated with only a minimal amount of flash. Really, that's all the GTO originally was, same with the chevelle.

Take a Lemans, put a scoop here and a different trim there and *POOF* One Pontiac GTO. Chevelles were dressier malibu's...It was the motors that set those things apart, just like the current GTO and maybe chevelle.

Personally I think knytmare's arguments were far more applicable to the ImpalaSS's of the last few years...and with respect to Dan, this year as well but to a far lesser degree. At least this year they've got a motor pulling the car the way an SS car should pull...it is just that my preference would dictate RWD.

Well put!!! :haveabeer

PB86MCSS
02-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I believe the car you are refering to is the Pontiac Solstice...a S2000 type of car. Base is the ecotech 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, and the option is a supercharged ecotech with T-56...so I'm assuming they are RWD? Better be.

I agree, the GTO should be about performance. I think the car looks fine, but the true beauty is mechanical not the looks...just like muscle cars were originally.

Would you rather have a FWD V-6 badged up Chevelle SS or a RWD V-8 with legit peformance? They did it with the MCSS :flipoff: but they already hurt the Monte when they called the 2 door Luminas Monte Carlos in 95'.

The more RWD V-8 cars made that can perform, the better off the world is :D.

And sharing platforms are great, beautiful thing GM does to help interchange parts...ask anyone with older GM's, especially g-bodies....GN rear in my SS, 12" rotors from a f-body, b-body calipers/spindles, engine block from a 95' truck(soon)....among other things :banana . Not to mention the TPI swap to my LS, using a GN gas tank/TPI fuel pump and GM wiring with splicing to make it work like stock :D. Its a beautiful thing.

Keeps costs down and repairs/mods easier too.

SMS 1
02-05-2004, 05:18 PM
All this platform stuff is fine, they have done it for years and will continue to do so, but that s not stopping them from at least crafting a bit better looking body for it. :rolleyes:

Joe Q.
02-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Guys i had a 71 lemans and all i can say is the new gto is a much more solid car, almost as fast as my 400 with 850 holley and a dana 60 and a whole lot better gas milage!

Al
02-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by PB86MCSS
I believe the car you are refering to is the Pontiac Solstice...a S2000 type of car. Base is the ecotech 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, and the option is a supercharged ecotech with T-56...so I'm assuming they are RWD? Better be.

Popular Mechanics is referring to it as the cousin of the solstice.

Heve some pics... http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/pontiacsolstice.html

BTW- I like the GTO and the chevelle concept. They are as close to the grand am's and gran prix's as they were 30 years ago in both style. Its a fasion trend that has always been aparent.

PB86MCSS
02-05-2004, 07:29 PM
I can't imagine how much more they would charge for a re-designing of the Monaro body. I think the rear of the car could use some work for looks but I also understand they need to keep costs down on these. Hopefully they can build them here instead and save more money, and make these truly affordable, as true muscle cars were :D.

Rocket Power
02-06-2004, 12:10 AM
They needs to make an Olds version and call it the 442.:thumbsup
Oh yeah,that's right, there gonna be done making Oldsmobiles in the next few months :puppyeyes :puppyeyes :(

Dirty Mothers:flipoff2:

PB86MCSS
02-06-2004, 05:12 PM
It is sad, but after the g-body Cutlass and then b-bodies were done, Olds was done too, IMO :(. I can't consider Alero's and other cars real Oldsmobiles...they so wanted to change their image and then logo, and names of cars to be more *hip*....and the Cutlass that was a FWD Malibu re-badged I wont even get into :).

Would of been nice with Lutz in charge to maybe bring back the Cutlass 442 in the GTO platform at least....but it would not be an Olds engine so you Olds guys still wouldn't buy it ;) :flamet .

I also thank GM for making a mockery of the Nova and making the new MCSS's FWD V-6's, only took them 4 years to get even SC'ed :rolleyes: . They have certainly done a disservice to alot of things.

Rocket Power
02-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by PB86MCSS

Would of been nice with Lutz in charge to maybe bring back the Cutlass 442 in the GTO platform at least....but it would not be an Olds engine so you Olds guys still wouldn't buy it ;) :flamet .

Hee hee your probably right, and I couldn't spend 30K on a car and still have to rip the motor out:D :nutkick

GM is trying very hard to make me buy a Mustang. But I probably will be buying a truck next, so make that a used Powerstroke (I don't make Duramax money:goof )

The GTO is a great idea but looks like a more bland version of the GP (Putting Nomex suit on)

Yooformula
02-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Power

The GTO is a great idea but looks like a more bland version of the GP (Putting Nomex suit on)

:flamet :goof