PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Ward's 10 Best Engines

Prince Valiant
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
It's annual list:

* Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)
* BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe)
* BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d)
* Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T)
* Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid)
* General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS)
* Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe)
* Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis)
* Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)
* Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI)

“A decade ago, few consumers in the U.S. paid serious attention to hybrids or diesels. This year, they have to, if they don’t want to be pinched the next time fuel hits $4 a gallon,” says Tom Murphy, executive editor of Ward’s AutoWorld magazine.”The diesels from VW and BMW and the Ford Escape Hybrid all got better than 30 mpg (7.8 L/100 km) during our testing, and often they topped 40 mpg (5.8 L/100 km),” he says. “And the diesels meet the strictest emissions regulations in the world. If Americans want to find a vehicle that consumes less fuel and is fun to drive, our list is a great place to start.”

Among the winners is Ford Motor Co.’s redesigned 2.5L 4-cyl. hybrid-electric powertrain, which motivated President and CEO Alan Mulally’s Escape Hybrid cross/utility vehicle to and from Washington D.C. for federal-aid talks, makes the cut.

During Ward’s testing, the front-wheel-drive HEV managed to easily surpass the federal fuel-economy rating of 34/31 city/highway mpg (6.9-7.5 L/100 km).

BMW AG’s new 3.0L inline 6-cyl. turbodiesel scores a slot on the list in its first year available in the U.S. Joined by the auto maker’s twin-turbocharged and direct-injected gasoline I-6 engine, which returns for the third year, the diesel employs a sequential twin-turbocharger system that provides the 335d sedan with impressive fuel economy and a stunning 425 lb.-ft. (576 Nm) of torque.

Volkswagen AG joins the clean-diesel party this year, as well, with its new 2.0L 4-cyl. turbodiesel powering the Jetta TDI sedan. Fun to drive and frugal at the pump, the TDI is an affordable and entertaining alternative to many larger gasoline and hybrid-electric powertrains.

Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd. appears for the first time on Ward’s 10 Best Engines list with its all-new Tau 4.6L DOHC V-8. Introduced in the new Genesis luxury sedan, the engine’s velvety power delivery, competitive performance and attainable price epitomize the Korean auto maker’s drive for world-class engineering.

Chrysler LLC’s venerable 5.7L Hemi V-8 returns to the rankings with added refinement, power and variable-valvetrain and induction technology. Its guttural roar and low-end grunt serves double duty this year in the all-new Dodge Challenger R/T and Ram pickup.

Toyota Motor Corp. scores its fourth consecutive 10 Best Engines win with its Lexus 3.5L DOHC V-6, a brilliant design that employs a unique, combination direct- and port-injection fueling system that helps generate 306 hp and 277 lb.-ft. (376 Nm) of torque.

General Motors Corp. and Honda Motor Co. Ltd. also make return appearances with their high-volume V-6 engines exemplifying practicality balanced with precision engineering.

GM’s high-feature 3.6L V-6 with direct-gasoline injection returns for the second time. Tested in the Cadillac CTS, yet flexible enough to proliferate through the auto maker’s CUVs, the advanced V-6 makes a hardy 304 hp on regular gasoline.

Honda underscores its longstanding reputation for great engines with the encore performance of its 3.5L SOHC V-6 in the Accord lineup. Merging exceptional performance with reasonable fuel economy, the engine employs advanced cylinder deactivation in the sedan and engaging power delivery in the coupe.

Audi AG’s 2.0L TFSI turbocharged 4-cyl., freshly revamped with 211 hp and a mighty 258 lb.-ft. (350 Nm) of torque for the all-new A4, rounds out the list with a fourth-consecutive 10 Best Engines placing as one of the best all-around turbo-4s on the market.

This year, six Ward’s editors nominated 32 different engines for the Ward’s 10 Best Engines competition. The nominee list consists of the 2008 winners as well as all-new or significantly improved engines.

Over a nearly 2-month period, the editors evaluated and scored each engine against all others in a number of objective and subjective parameters. Each engine must be available in a regular-production U.S.-specification model on sale no later than first-quarter 2009, in a vehicle priced no more than $54,000, a price cap indexed to the average cost of a new vehicle.

The awards will be given at a Jan. 14 ceremony in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show.

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2009/tenbest/best_engines_2009_081205/

Who'da thought the day a Hyundai engine would make it? lol...

formul8
12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
It's annual list:

* Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)

That is an awesome motor. It is shared with VW in the GTI/GLI and Passat. I have a 2006 Jetta GLI with the version before this and what a fun car to drive!

A $600 programming mod and it will put out 260hp at the wheels.

Breecher_7
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Unsure how the Hemi gets in there. I had nothing but problems with the ETC on that engine in cold weather. Id did have plenty of grunt though.

Exitspeed
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Unsure how the Hemi gets in there. I had nothing but problems with the ETC on that engine in cold weather. Id did have plenty of grunt though.

Ditto. The VQ engine is the only engine to be on that top 10 list since it's inception...it's the same engine that was on it last year, but it's not on there this year. But that POS Hemi is?

Wards...take it with a grain of salt.

BAD LS1
12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Damn the 3800 Series III doesnt make it anymore?

lilws6
12-31-2008, 09:38 AM
still have intake leaks :( wierd to see a gm motor above honda considering they need to be bailed out

BAD LS1
12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
still have intake leaks :( wierd to see a gm motor above honda considering they need to be bailed out

Doesnt mean GM cant build a good mill:goof You own one of their best pushrod mills of all time afterall....

Prince Valiant
12-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Ward's doesn't "rank" the engines per se...even a cursory glance reveals that it's listed alphabetically by it's manufacture...

Al
01-01-2009, 03:55 AM
That is an awesome motor. It is shared with VW in the GTI/GLI and Passat. I have a 2006 Jetta GLI with the version before this and what a fun car to drive!

A $600 programming mod and it will put out 260hp at the wheels.

Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4

I agree! This engine is amazing. TFSI = FTW

lilws6
01-01-2009, 10:39 AM
my push rod motor doesn't have intake leaks :goof i love the 3800 series just i've seen so many intakes come into work lately