PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Dodge Challenger??

83ZL69
12-30-2008, 10:04 AM
I've been seriously considering buying one, since I actually used to own a '74 Challenger for about 10 years. So - I was really a Dodge guy when I started out, so the Challenger has a bit of sentimental value to me.

Since I'm getting no younger, I figured I'd get the best Challenger I could - the SRT8 model. So I contacted a few dealerships via email to see what the pricing ran, and what was available. It's just turned out to be a disappointment I'm afraid....

Out of the 3 dealers I contacted, 2 immediately tried to talk me out of the SRT model and offered an RT instead. The third said he could "put me behind the wheel" of a 2009 SRT for a measly sum of 42K!!! -Not the pricing I was looking for.

I've found out that the "Friends and family" discount doesn't apply to SRT models - and neither does the 10 year 100K powertrain warranty!!. :(

You'd think the extra money paid for the SRT would also get you the warranty and discount.....it's almost like they don't want to sell them.

And I was really set on a SRT with the 6.1 and 6 speed tranny. But I can't see it being worth 42K plus, so I'm now looking at a few options:

- Turn to GM and wait to see how the pricing will be on the new Camaro - assuming it'll even be produced. Even though it still kinda resembles a Cadillac a little to me...

- Get a Challenger RT with the 5.7 and 6 speed, and hope I can modify it later (due to warranty) to perform as well as the SRT model - although it won't look quite as nice...and just a "base" RT starts at 31K - PLUS any options...

- Screw it all and get another econobox and wait another 10 years and hope someone still produces any kind of sports car.

I guess I'm just venting because Dodge finally comes out with a car I like, and they don't play fair so I'm forced to make this type of decision...:mad:

Waver
12-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Dude, why not consider the mustang.....there has been tests by motor trend and car and driver that has pit the two in each of the levels and the Mustang wins in each of the levels over all.....Yeah, I know that the platform is a little aging, and the 2010 mustang is right around the corner, but I would consider it.....Sure the looks of the charger are bad ass, but I would want a car that performs, not a car that is underpowered for the weight and handls accordingly.

Prince Valiant
12-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Get the R/T and 6 speed...it's close enough in terms of performance in a straight line (mid 13.5 vs 13.1) so minor mods that wouldn't void the warranty (CAI, exhaust) could put you right there with the SRT. What the R/T really gives up is simply handling and braking to the SRT...but since I personally don't even come close to the handling limits in my old 68 Coronet (it's pretty modified in that dept), It's not all that important to me.

Go for the RT.

Feature Pony
12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Well if you walked into a dealership in 1970 and clicked off 426 hemi you got the nice 1 year 12,000 mile warranty.

wrath
12-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Wait for the Camaro or the new Mustang. It'll at least have a warranty and there will be some residual value as compared to when Chrysler no longer exists as it does today. To me, the SN197 Mustangs look even more dated than the SN95.

Prince Valiant
12-30-2008, 12:06 PM
It'll at least have a warrantyfwiw, the SRT-8 does have a warranty, Both the basic and powertrain warranties (essentially being a bumper to bumper warranty) run a standard 3 year, 36000 miles.

The original poster also get's the chrysler warranty wrong...it's a lifetime warranty with unlimited mileage, which btw, is extended to the Challenger RT. Not 10 years/100K. Chrysler hasn't ever offered this warranty on any of either the SRT vehicles, nor it's medium duty trucks.

Moparjim
12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Buy a used Viper in the $30K range. Most of them have low miles and are basically new cars still.

83ZL69
12-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Thx for the replies everyone. I didn't expect so many so soon! Hope it's not annoying, but I'll break down the responses I got:

Dude, why not consider the mustang.....there has been tests by motor trend and car and driver that has pit the two in each of the levels and the Mustang wins in each of the levels over all.....Yeah, I know that the platform is a little aging, and the 2010 mustang is right around the corner, but I would consider it.....Sure the looks of the charger are bad ass, but I would want a car that performs, not a car that is underpowered for the weight and handls accordingly.
I gave Ford a try when I bought my 95 T-bird as a program car. Had 1200 miles on it, a 4.6 Modular V8 with a throttle body in the rear. Ran good, and still does, but it started burning oil like crazy back when it had 36K on it. Never leaked a drop, and didn't smoke unless you left it idling for ten minutes or so - then when you took off - SMOKE! -Bad valve seals. 4 quarts every 3000 miles since then. Not too keen on another 4.6...maybe they're better now, but I lost my confidence in them.

fwiw, the SRT-8 does have a warranty, Both the basic and powertrain warranties (essentially being a bumper to bumper warranty) run a standard 3 year, 36000 miles. The original poster also get's the chrysler warranty wrong...it's a lifetime warranty with unlimited mileage, which btw, is extended to the Challenger RT. Not 10 years/100K. Chrysler hasn't ever offered this warranty on any of either the SRT vehicles, nor it's medium duty trucks.
Thanks Valiant - I stand corrected, it is lifetime warranty as you said. I still think it's BS they don't offer it with the SRT - or their trucks?!? (didn't know that either) Maybe I'll look harder at the RT....at least the aftermarket should have more since the 5.7 has been around for a while.

Well if you walked into a dealership in 1970 and clicked off 426 hemi you got the nice 1 year 12,000 mile warranty.
Well, you're right, but you were lucky if any car you bought reached 100K back then too.

Wait for the Camaro or the new Mustang. It'll at least have a warranty and there will be some residual value as compared to when Chrysler no longer exists as it does today. To me, the SN197 Mustangs look even more dated than the SN95.
But hey! Where will GM and Ford be also?? Will they still exist as they are now? One vote for waiting on the Camaro. Excuse my ignorance, but was is a SN197 and SN95??

Buy a used Viper in the $30K range. Most of them have low miles and are basically new cars still.
Hmmm....those are $80K plus cars though aren't they? My insurance company would have a field day. BTW, looked at your sig, OMG - a 1400+ HP Viper?? -quite an impressive collection you have there Jim. I'd love to see it! Nice! :)

83ZL69
12-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Just thought I'd share some info I got back from an un-named dealership today...what do ya think?

-I got an offer to buy a Challenger SRT-8 for $500 over invoice or $40,826 plus any additional options. The prices are getting better! (kinda)

-They reaffirmed that the SRT-8 Challenger is not eligible for the Chrysler Employee or Friends and Family discount, or Dodge's Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

- He also said a better option would be to consider an R/T with a manual transmission, since the R/T is eligible for Employee and Friends pricing as well as Dodge's Lifetime Powertrain Warranty which covers all major powertrain components ( engine & transmission ) for as long as I own the car and unlimited miles.

- MSRP of an R/T with no options & cloth interior would be $31,540...my price with a Friends & Family discount would be $29,530. With a few Mopar accessories he said I can obtain the same performance of an SRT-8. Kinda skeptical there...

- He also said (Quote) "I do not expect the Camaro to be less expensive than a Challenger with a Corvette motor in it! The Camaro SS looks pretty good in photos I have seen, but looks more like a Cadillac than a Camaro."

Moparjim
12-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes they were $80K plus new. You can find a nice gen II Viper GTS like mine for around $35K or less - maybe even one with some nice bolt ons. You can find power adder cars for not much more. I sold my 750RWHP supercharged 98 last year for $42K with 45,000 miles on it. That was before the latest round of the economy tanking, I bet today I would have only gotten closer to $35K for it!! Most will only have 10-30K miles on them. You can even find the newer Gen III's for close to that price at this point. The best thing about used Vipers is that they basically rapidly depreciate from their starting price to around $30-40K, then they level off to almost no depreciation after that. As long as it stays in decent shape, they really don't go for much less unless it's high high mileage, been wrecked, is a total beater, etc. so you don't lose much if anything on your investment. The second best thing is that the drivetrain at least is reliable, cheap and easy to fix and maintain - its a pretty basic V8/RWD drivetrain (with two extra cylinders obviously). For example a stock LUK clutch and plate for the thing is like $125 and is good for around 800 RWHP lol. Just don't get in an accident - body parts are pricey.

Moparjim
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Just FYI - the one big factor in the SRT versus RT argument is the motor. Do some research online for specifics, but the summary in my opinion is that while the 6.1 is in theory just a slightly larger displacement version of the 5.7, it is a MUCH better motor. It is much more than just a displacement change. The 6.1L actually has much better heads and a bunch of other improvements. I am not sure what else is better on the SRT drivetrain, suspension, etc. wise.

If you don't need to have the all out best motor and plan to mod it heavily, then obviously the 5.7L with some bolt ons will probably give you all the performance you need/want and you get the discount and better warranty.

If you do plan to mod heavily and want to make as much power as possible, maybe consider biting the bullet and just spending the extra coin for the SRT. The SRT may also hold its value better, harder to put a number on it since they haven't been out long, but a good barameter would be look at resale on Mustang Cobras versus GTs for example.

RanJer
12-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but was is a SN197 and SN95??

Only thing I can handle in this thread lol.

SN95 - Mustang chassis beginning in 1994 and ran until 2004. (Body changed in 99 to "new edge" be remained the SN95 chassis.)
S197 - 2005 - current.

Prince Valiant
12-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks Valiant - I stand corrected, it is lifetime warranty as you said. I still think it's BS they don't offer it with the SRT - or their trucks?!? (didn't know that either) Maybe I'll look harder at the RT....at least the aftermarket should have more since the 5.7 has been around for a while.It's actually fairly standard procedure on medium duty trucks (2500/3500/45000 and up) to offer warranties that are different than the light duty (1500), of which the Ram 1500 still gets the lifetime protection. Every manufacture that offers the medium duty trucks does this...

The aftermarket is split pretty even from the 5.7 and 6.1...but, while the number of different vendors out there may be less, there is no shortage of parts available for either engine...from the aforemention cold air, to full exhaust, to camshafts, heads, intake manifolds, torque converters for auto's, and of course, engine programers.

Myself, I'd be leaning toward the auto...just as fast (was a tenth off in time), has the cylinder deactivation feature for better mileage on the road (if that would be important to you), AND, I'd be tempted to swap in the more aggressive gears found in the manual's diff into the auto for even better performance. Some of the guys doing the head/cam swaps w/ headers/exhaust, tune, and a TC and stock 2.82 gears are running low 12's...and that's with the every bit as heavy (actually, heavier) Magnum's. But, of course the same recipe can work with the 6 speeds of course.

JC70SS
12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Is it true the Challenger is on the chopping block? A friend told me it is gone soon.

Prince Valiant
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Is it true the Challenger is on the chopping block? A friend told me it is gone soon.Nothing I've seen even remotely confirms this. Sounds like wild speculation imo...

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Get the R/T and enjoy driving the wheels of it with a warranty you can use anywhere your travels take you.

Power Tour 2009 !!!! :shades

Voodoo Chick
01-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Buy an old Mopar, restore it, and you'll have a beautiful car that you saved from eventual (inevitable) crushing.

83ZL69
04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Buy an old Mopar, restore it, and you'll have a beautiful car that you saved from eventual (inevitable) crushing.
That just makes me wish I'd never gotten rid of my '72 Charger...:crying

I've been dragging my feet on buying a new car since January, because the new Camaros look real interesting along with the new Challengers. Heck, I'd already be driving a New SRT Callenger if there were any incentives at all to actually buy one. But since there isn't, I've scratched it off my list.

So - I've heard there are a few dealers that frequent the board here...I'm pretty much all ready to buy now, but the new Camaro pricing is still very tempting. Still love the looks better of the new Challengers though. I just noticed the new Challenger "Classics" are now available and they seem to be the next best thing to a SRT so...

What kind of price am I looking at for a Challenger classic in B5 blue, package 27M with a sunroof using a family and friends discount?? I'd like a price on both the auto 5 speeed and the 6 speed manual. Feel free to PM me....

My disclaimer: If the RT Dodge turns out to be higher in price than I can get a 1SS/RS Camaro for with simular options, then I don't want to waste your time....thanks in advance. - Jeff

70challenger452
04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
My mom just got a 6-speed r/t in deep water blue, the car is an absolute blast to drive. I've driven 2 different new mustangs, one an 05 and the other an 06 and they don't even compare with the challenger in the fun factor. Throwing gears is just a flick of the wrist and banging gears couldn't be easier (just dont let your hand slip off the shifter going into third, my knuckle still has a scab). Drive a 6 speed challenger and you will fall in love.
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs030.snc1/2585_82845494224_607084224_2294544_4763627_n.jpg

07ROUSHSTG3
04-21-2009, 07:29 AM
My mom just got a 6-speed r/t in deep water blue, the car is an absolute blast to drive. I've driven 2 different new mustangs, one an 05 and the other an 06 and they don't even compare with the challenger in the fun factor. Throwing gears is just a flick of the wrist and banging gears couldn't be easier (just dont let your hand slip off the shifter going into third, my knuckle still has a scab). Drive a 6 speed challenger and you will fall in love.
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs030.snc1/2585_82845494224_607084224_2294544_4763627_n.jpg

i have driven a 6 speed RT and I think they are junk. if feels like a boat and they are waaaay to heavy. makes then feel underpowered. the shifting did not feel like a "flick" to me. i guess i am used to short throw mustangs. the shift handle sticks out of the console like a flagpole. the SRT is faster, sounds better, but it also is heavy. the seats in the rt are crap too, the srt seats are way nicer. when i say nicer i mean bigger, and nicer stiching and piping.

don't buy either. wait for the camaro to hit lots. for probably cheaper than an srt you can get a much better looking and performing car. if you must get a challenger, call EVS is Lomira. we have a couple RTs here now and an SRT on the way.

Plum Crazy
04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
the 09 hemis with VCT are already pushing 390 hp, with a decent tune, catback and exhaust, you will be looking at stock SRT HP anyhow, with the lifetime powertrain warranty.

83ZL69
05-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Well, I bit the bullet!! :D

Just picked up a '09 Challenger R/T, 5.7 Hemi w/5spd auto, red with most of the bells/whistles like power sunroof, leather, HIDs etc... Got a decent deal I couldn't pass up.

70challenger
05-12-2009, 07:32 AM
congrats! post pics!

STANMAN
05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
What kind of deals are they giving now that they are in Chapter 11??? I am wondering if they are really wheeling and dealing or just waiting to come out of it.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-12-2009, 09:30 AM
What kind of deals are they giving now that they are in Chapter 11??? I am wondering if they are really wheeling and dealing or just waiting to come out of it.

most dealers don't want to even sell a new chrysler. who knows if they will pay their incentives :stare.

srt4eh
05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
nice...lets see pics

Holeshot
05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Congrats on the car. If it makes you happy thats what counts.:thumbsup

URLOZIN
05-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Congrats! Pics.....

Karps TA
05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Congrats man. I cannot love the new Challenger more. I wish I was in a position to pick one up.

83ZL69
05-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Hopefully the pics will show:

83ZL69
05-15-2009, 05:07 PM
And as far as the dealers wanting to deal:
You're right, the first two Dodge dealers just seemed like they weren't willing to deal at all - but they only had a couple Challengers on thier lots.

The third dealer I went to had at least 6 on the lot and they acted like they wanted to sell a car! It was like night-and-day compared to the first two!
I had them down 10% off sticker, and then remembered I could get a Family and Friends discount, and that price was even lower - so you can imagine which I went with...;)

I also had them add the RT stripes for free since it didn't originally have them. I think it makes it look better IMO. Also it came with the lifetime drivetrain warranty, and I got a lifetime warranty that covers pretty much everything else.

BTW, I test drove a 2010 Camaro LT1/RS before I bought this - and they're nice too!! I'm guessing Chevy's gonna sell alot of them. They handle awesome and suprisingly smooth ride. Only complaint I had was that it felt kinda cramped inside. You're surrounded with vinyl and plastic all around, and I only had maybe 2-3 inches of headroom, and I'm only 6'1". That being said, the SS Camaros are going to be awesome cars....I just preferred the looks of the Challenger over the Camaro, even though it won't outrun an SS...

-But I already have a '83Z with as much if not more power....it's just "unrefined" power!! lol.

Karps TA
05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
kickass. Congrats again. Looks very cool.

I've only sat in both and I felt the same about the Camaro. It felt small to me, but I didn't have any issues, just the feeling that the space was very small. Whereas the Challenger I thought fit me perfectly.

URLOZIN
05-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Nice. I like the stripes on the fender.

Turbo-Triumph
10-17-2009, 07:39 AM

the day i bought my csrt4 there was an old orange challenger in the lot..
he ended up buying a brand new srt8 (orange)

he also took a pic, almost identical to this. only different dealership, and orange. awesome.

GTSLOW
10-18-2009, 12:12 PM
The red challenger looks nice man!!! Why'd you decide on auto vs. 6speed?

PureSound15
10-19-2009, 05:07 PM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/rover25x/ROVER%2025X/ThreadRessurection.jpg

83ZL69
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
That's OK Puresound, I still troll around the boards anyway.

GTSLOW - I already have a 5 speed Camaro, plus just in case I decide to run the Challenger at the strip one of these days, it'll be more consistant than with me shifting.

EDIT: And thx for the compliment, I only have 1600 miles on the clock still!