PDA

View Full Version : new setup on my rem. 710

That_Guy
12-27-2008, 11:58 PM
well i got a 75 dollar gift card for gander so i decided to hook my 30-06 rem 710 up with some scope covers and a new bipod. tomorrow the stock is coming off and getting dremmeled so the barrel free floats then im going to flat black the stock. as a base coat and camo it... if the camo doesnt turn out the way i want then im going to just go back over it.

sorry i cant find my nice camera... chitty cell phone pictures

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/nramlow2006/Image002-1.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/nramlow2006/Image005.jpg

GTSLOW
12-28-2008, 01:14 AM
well i got a 75 dollar gift card for gander so i decided to hook my 30-06 rem 710 up with some scope covers and a new bipod. tomorrow the stock is coming off and getting dremmeled so the barrel the barrel free floats then im going to flat black the stock. as a base coat and camo it... if the camo doesnt turn out the way i want then im going to just go back over it.

sorry i cant find my nice camera... chitty cell phone pictures

Looks sweet!

Breecher_7
12-28-2008, 02:17 AM
:alcoholic

That_Guy
12-28-2008, 09:24 AM
major typo there lol..

STANMAN
12-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Do yourself favor and stop working on that thing, it's like putting perfume on a pig. Speaking from experiance here BTW, not just out my ass.....for once.:rolf

That_Guy
12-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Do yourself favor and stop working on that thing, it's like putting perfume on a pig. Speaking from experiance here BTW, not just out my ass.....for once.:rolf

i like the rifle its a nice shooting, pretty solid, i can tell the difference between this rifle and my 308 sps dm. .... all i planned on doing was painting the stock black and doing a little dremmeling...

STANMAN
12-28-2008, 11:23 AM
i like the rifle its a nice shooting, pretty solid, i can tell the difference between this rifle and my 308 sps dm. .... all i planned on doing was painting the stock black and doing a little dremmeling...

What is "nice shooting"???? I can't even begin to tell you the 1st hand horror stories I have had with the 710. Just my opinion, and your mileage may vary, but they make a better boat oar than a firearm in my experiance. Granted, I expect alot from my guns....like they go bang every time I pull the trigger and I can reasonably expect it to hit somewhere close to where I am aiming, but I am no gun snob that's for sure. Hell, I love Glocks for Christs sake!!! I almost did a small dance of joy when Big Green made them go away......until they just brought it back and called it some other name:crying

STANMAN
12-28-2008, 11:24 AM
And yeah, the difference between the 700 and 710 is a little more than that "10" lets on:rolf .308 FTW by the way, everything the 30.06 is, only in a short action. Gotta love it!!

Reverend Cooper
12-28-2008, 11:42 AM
bob not to steal a thread what is your thoughts on a 7mm and if you like them whos you favorite builder of said weapon?

STANMAN
12-28-2008, 12:03 PM
bob not to steal a thread what is your thoughts on a 7mm and if you like them whos you favorite builder of said weapon?

Which 7mm? If you want to shoot the heavier stuff, go 7mm Rem Mag, but if you don't have to shoot the heavy stuff, go 7mm-08, again, short actions rule the accuracy world, for good reason!! I like the bolt guns for their accuracy, and if you are going to buy a factory weapon, get a heavy barreled Remington. If you don't mind having something built, buy a used Ruger (I love their actions, and their built in ring system) and send it to a good barrel maker (Shilen,Lilja) and have them barrel it with a heavy barrel. If you want an auto, go with the Browning BAR, nothing beats it for quality of build. Lil Ryan will kill me, but stay away from the Remington auto's, they are inferior in every category except price from the Browning.

STANMAN
12-28-2008, 12:07 PM
And my overall thoughts on the 7mm? Inferior to the .30 as you can go down in weight on a .30 and do the same thing as a 7mm, but you can't go up in weight on the 7mm like you can with the .30. Optimum weight for the .30 is 160ish grains, optimum for the 7mm is 130ish. Just depends on what you want to do with it I guess.

Reverend Cooper
12-28-2008, 12:08 PM
i was looking at a 7mm rem. mag,but all this talk about crappy remingtons makes me nervouse,i have a .17hmr fully synthetic stock remington that is supposed to be the biggest piece of crap ever and its really a great gun,accurate smooth and doesnt jamb. so i dont know

That_Guy
12-28-2008, 12:24 PM
And yeah, the difference between the 700 and 710 is a little more than that "10" lets on:rolf .308 FTW by the way, everything the 30.06 is, only in a short action. Gotta love it!!

no doubt... i love my sps dm.. its a dam solid rifle.. i got the 710 as a gift from my grandpa.. so i figure i would just do a little to it. ive put about 100 rounds through it already in the last year. .. shoots just as good as the day i bought it so far no problems... but i found with all the things ive done to my .308 that it makes it more of a range rifle then a hunting rifle on the account i really dont want to drop it or reck it in any way. "love struck with it lol"

btw my grand pa has a 7mm rem mag b.a.r. and its a ******* loud ass rifle.. with the boss system on it

That_Guy
12-28-2008, 12:25 PM
i was looking at a 7mm rem. mag,but all this talk about crappy remingtons makes me nervouse,i have a .17hmr fully synthetic stock remington that is supposed to be the biggest piece of crap ever and its really a great gun,accurate smooth and doesnt jamb. so i dont know

look in to the sps series.. i have one and really like it alot

Breecher_7
12-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Remington makes great bolt action rifles, whoever is saying they dont is a moron. The US military has a contract with them for a reason. All sniper rifles in use by the US miltary right now (other then .50 cal) are built on a remington 700 action.

Coop I own a 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Rem Ultra Mag, they are both hunting rifles, not heavy barrel tactical rifles. If you would like to shoot them, let me know.

Not sure what your lookin for though, if you want a nice tactical/sniper rifle from a very top notch builder, check these guys out. I purchased one of these a couple years ago. By far the most flawless piece ive ever purchased as a complete firearm.

http://texasbrigadearmory.com/custconfigs.htm#M40A2%20TACTICAL%20RIFLE

Breecher_7
12-28-2008, 12:54 PM

And thanks for saying this for me...

STANMAN
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Remington makes great bolt action rifles, whoever is saying they dont is a moron. The US military has a contract with them for a reason. All sniper rifles in use by the US miltary right now (other then .50 cal) are built on a remington 700 action.

Coop I own a 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Rem Ultra Mag, they are both hunting rifles, not heavy barrel tactical rifles. If you would like to shoot them, let me know.

Not sure what your lookin for though, if you want a nice tactical/sniper rifle from a very top notch builder, check these guys out. I purchased one of these a couple years ago. By far the most flawless piece ive ever purchased as a complete firearm.

http://texasbrigadearmory.com/custconfigs.htm#M40A2%20TACTICAL%20RIFLE

That would be me. And yeah, they make great bolt action rifles, that would be the Model 700. They also offer a very expensive line of boat oars, that would be the 710. Sorry OP, I know it was a gift from your grandfather (and how cool of a gift is a gun BTW?? I was given my GF's model 94 as a gift, probably the most meaningful gift I have ever recieved), but the 710 gave me gunsmithing nightmares. They really are a throw away gun, there's NOTHING you can do once they break, as the action and barrel are essentially one piece (they are actually a crush fit, and once the barrel is crushed into the reciever, that's it, there's no re-barreling, the reciever is a one time use thing, and don't get me started with the accuracy of this system). I mean if you want to keep it a long time because it's a keepsake, stop firing it, the ETA of them giving up the ghost was under 200 rounds on some guns. BTW-did you know the "average" hunter fires 10 rounds or under every year???? Big Green counted on that being the case with the 710 series, I mean at 10 rounds a year the 710 "could" last a very long time. Please don't take it as a bashing or me hating, I am just trying to educate.

STANMAN
12-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Is that a real Harris Bipod BTW, or a copy. If it's a copy, how do you like it?? I have been tempted by the price of the knock offs, but I always buy the real thing at the end of the day. They are the best bipods out there, bar none.

Russ Jerome
12-28-2008, 08:03 PM
not to steal a thread what is your thoughts on a 7mm

Built by DPMS the R25 is available in 7mm-08, 243 or
308 (243 is plenty for deer and shoots flatter than those
7mm family or 308 ammo).
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/Model_R-25.asp
Under 9# it groups outstanding even with its heavy 4-5
pound trigger (20 min trigger job will fix that).

The 6.5 Creedmore in a DPMS target would be my ultimate
but heavier than the R25 Rem they build.

Russ Jerome
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
And yeah, the difference between the 700 and 710 is a little more than that "10" lets on.

Actualy they are two totatly diffent bolts and triggers, I've
done trigger jobs on both side bye side for same owner.
The 710 has some crazy stuff going on in there for the
lockup, claws grag the barrel goofy...hard to explain.

The 710 I reworked the trigger on came out at 2.5# and
the owner says he is grouping 2" at 200yards but Its just
his word I havent seen it in person(300 Win Mag).

Breecher_7
12-28-2008, 08:26 PM

The round is definitly capable of that accurancy but im skeptical of the firearm itself. I mean that is seriously a disposable POS IMO.... A friend of mine bought one last year, first time hunter, wanted somthing cheap. It is the WORST gun ive ever fired.

Reverend Cooper
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
the 700 would be more for hunting for me, that m40a3 looks yummy breecher

Breecher_7
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Built by DPMS the R25 is available in 7mm-08, 243 or
308 (243 is plenty for deer and shoots flatter than those
7mm family or 308 ammo).
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/Model_R-25.asp
Under 9# it groups outstanding even with its heavy 4-5
pound trigger (20 min trigger job will fix that).

The 6.5 Creedmore in a DPMS target would be my ultimate
but heavier than the R25 Rem they build.

I would definitly go with DPMS if he was looking for a heavier caliber AR style... Especially with there only real competitor being RRA IMO, and some of the stuff ive seen from RRA lately scares me, looks like there QC has gone down the toilet. The ONLY company I would buy a complete .223 AR15 from anymore is Lewis Machine and Tool. Top notch stuff! I bought one about 3 months ago and it is flawless!

Breecher_7
12-28-2008, 08:34 PM
the 700 would be more for hunting for me, that m40a3 looks yummy breecher

It makes childsplay of the 300yd range at mcmillers with the monster I have stacked on top of it! :rolf

Both my 7mm are 700 SPS stainless models, I use the rem mag for Deer hunting and the ultra mag has yet to be used for hunting. I bought it for my next caribou hunt.

That_Guy
12-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Is that a real Harris Bipod BTW, or a copy. If it's a copy, how do you like it?? I have been tempted by the price of the knock offs, but I always buy the real thing at the end of the day. They are the best bipods out there, bar none.

its a knock off its the one sold at gander mountain.. but i do have a real harris on my 308 sps dm and its about the same. for what i payed for the knock off its def a deal. the knock off is as solid as the harris. i like the harris a little more though because i can still hook up the shoulder strap style i like . on the knock off the legs wont extend.. thats my only beef with it.. if you have 40 dollars to spend then buy the knock off.

STANMAN
12-28-2008, 10:49 PM

Read a couple posts down, I explained the whole 710 in all it's glory. The explanation is simple, it's made as a throw away.

Russ Jerome
12-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I gotcha ya, Im more brain dead than usual today...dam booze.

Smokey1226
12-28-2008, 11:56 PM
I have a 7mm Bolt Rem Mag.....if anyone thinks the guns are accurate, they need to learn how to shoot. Mine is just as accurate as my Pop's 300 Win Mag.

Breecher_7
12-29-2008, 05:40 AM
I have a 7mm Bolt Rem Mag.....if anyone thinks the guns are accurate, they need to learn how to shoot. Mine is just as accurate as my Pop's 300 Win Mag.

SHould be more accurage then the .300 win mag. Mine is. My 7mm rem mag in the 700 SPS stainless is more accurate then my Browning A-Bolt Syn stalker .300 win mag...

STANMAN
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
SHould be more accurage then the .300 win mag. Mine is. My 7mm rem mag in the 700 SPS stainless is more accurate then my Browning A-Bolt Syn stalker .300 win mag...

All long actions have the same potential as any other long actions. Short actions have the most potential when it comes to accuracy over all long actions. Given the same everything, a .300WSM will outshoot a .300 Winchester Magnum all day. Shorter actions are where it's at in the accuracy world, if all other things are equal. Of course that's never the case, there's trigger quality, barrel quality, crowning quality, bedding quality, I mean there's ALOT of things that give/take away from a rifles POTENTIAL accuracy. Short actions are where any accuracy buffs rifle will begin however. That being said, one of the most accurate rifles I own is an off the shelf Remington 700DM that I threw a Timney trigger on and get genuine 1/2 MOA all day with factory ammo. It's caliber??? .30-06, yep, a long action. Potential, some rifles have it, some don't:rolf

Breecher_7
12-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I disagree with some of the above. I dont believe that all long actions are equal, not from my experience.

94greenbandit
12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
I have a Rem 700 ADL .308 and love that thing. Have never missed a deer yet and I have shot quite a few. Accurate every year I take it to scope in.

STANMAN
12-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I disagree with some of the above. I dont believe that all long actions are equal, not from my experience.

That's not what I meant, they are not all created equal at all. Give me a controlled round feed action any day. Personally I love Ruger actions, unfortunatly they use mediocre barrels from the factory and their accuracy suffers. Now look at Savage, action is garbage, but they use VERY good barrels, and they have a well deserved reputation for outstanding accuracy for their price. No, not all actions are created equal, some are better than others, but short actions will always be more accurate than long actions, the type of actions being equal anyway, was what I was trying to get at.

Reverend Cooper
12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I want a M40A3,I have a permaboner now.

Breecher_7
12-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I want a M40A3,I have a permaboner now.

Its sitting in the gun safe..... Just waiting to be shot....... :rolf