PDA

View Full Version : Question........

Voodoo Chick
12-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey...I have a question for all you who race: How do you get started? I have never raced my cars before, and I think I would like to start, but I am very afraid of looking stupid, or making an ass of myself. I have two Camaros to choose from to race, but one is VERY built up, not even remotely stock anymore, and scary-fast, the other is gentle and bone-stock. I think I should learn with the slow one, correct? I am a very self-doubting type person, so what is a good way to overcome this and just enjoy the learning process? Any advice/stories would be VERY welcome and appreciated, thanks for any help.

Reverend Cooper
12-25-2008, 07:39 PM
i think observation is the best tool. go to the track and watch what racers do,where they pit,how they get into the staging lanes,watch the staging lanes and see where to burnout,then stage the car not with the back tires. its simple enough. or go with someone that has done this already.

Yeehaw
12-25-2008, 07:39 PM
play with the stock one and learn how to lunch good and shift good...practice makes perfect just like anything else take it slow and sooner or later will be driving that fast one.

Voodoo Chick
12-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I need to find someone to go with......I don't really have a "racing buddy" yet......

Waver
12-25-2008, 07:45 PM
The first time I went to the track was on one of the first two weekends, when the place was packed....I got into staging and just walked around and talked to as many people I could, who looked like they had streetable cars, and got advice from them....over the years I learned more by doing the same....as stock as my car is, people come up to me and ask me questions.....I have found out that most people there are more than ready to give advice or lend a hand.....just ask

Reverend Cooper
12-25-2008, 07:46 PM
you can get ahold of any one of us. hell i would ride along in the car just for the fisrt time so you know whats up and what to do if you keep it slow enough it isnt a problem. then once you get used to it give er hell

scaleracer
12-25-2008, 07:47 PM
i think observation is the best tool. go to the track and watch what racers do,where they pit,how they get into the staging lanes,watch the staging lanes and see where to burnout,then stage the car not with the back tires. its simple enough. or go with someone that has done this already.

Agreed! I can't believe some of the people I see (some in cars capable of 9's and 10's) that have no clue how to do anything shift, burnout, get in the "beams", I love the ones that go right up next to the tree, etc.. But everyone has to start somewhere.. Not knocking anyone.. Good advice Coop!

Voodoo Chick
12-25-2008, 07:51 PM
you can get ahold of any one of us. hell i would ride along in the car just for the fisrt time so you know whats up and what to do if you keep it slow enough it isnt a problem. then once you get used to it give er hell

That would be really cool, actually........It would be reassuring to have someone there the first time or two......maybe when "car season" returns, may I contact you?

Reverend Cooper
12-25-2008, 08:51 PM
absolutely, I am at the track quite a bit in the summer and prolly will be there more this year if scottie k needs my help. make sure you wear pants and have a helmet that is cert. proper and youll be fine

Sprayaway Fox
12-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Go down with the attitude of "it is what it is, and race your own race"

I should have a new setup next year to TnT/shakedowns so if you want ill prolly look rusty also. Specially being a "outsider" and a almost new car.

I dont go down much, but would be willing to meet up and grab a burger and BS and run some times if you want.:thumbsup
Just give me a week or two advance

dr doom
12-25-2008, 09:36 PM

That's the best explanation right there. Ill be there a lot learning my car this year. If you need help feel free to ask.

Voodoo Chick
12-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Thank you all very much, I will be very happy to contact you when the time comes, if winter ever goes away, lol! It will just be so much nicer to have someone to ask questions and learn from, than to go alone! Once again, thanks so much! :)

STANMAN
12-25-2008, 11:14 PM
I guess Lil Ry and I are chopped liver:rolf You know we got your back whenever you're ready.:thumbsup

Voodoo Chick
12-26-2008, 12:42 AM
I guess Lil Ry and I are chopped liver:rolf You know we got your back whenever you're ready.:thumbsup

Awww...you two know I loves ya......I just pestered you both so much at work (when we all worked together) that I felt guilty pestering you for this, too!! But, yeah, the more people I have to show me "how-to" the better, so if you don't mind......you KNOW I'll be bothering you come spring!!! :banana1:

lordairgtar
12-26-2008, 01:10 PM
play with the stock one and learn how to lunch good
You should never race while hungry!:devil

TransAm12sec
12-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I assume you're talking about drag racing, not auto cross. Be sure you have a coolant overflow container, no shorts or cutoff shirts at great lakes.

http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/bb/faq.php?

QUESTION: "What do I do once I get to GLD??? I have no idea what I am supposed to do or where I am supposed to go!"

Answer: When you arrive at the gate, you will pay your admission fee. You will be asked to sign a waiver of responsibility, and you will be given a "tech card" and a pencil to fill it out. Your tech card will have a number on it that will be used to identify your car to the track staff. After you pay your entry fees and get your tech card, you will proceed to the pit area, which is located down the long entrance road to the dragstrip. Once in the pits, find a area to park and fill out your tech card with your name and address. After you have filled out your tech card, proceed to the "tech shack" which is located on the south end of the pits. Look for the big "Sunoco" sign and the gas pumps. This is the tech area. If there is no line ahead of you, park your car next to the gas pumps, shut it off and wait for the tech director to "tech you in". He will ask you for your card, and will look over your vehicle to be sure it meets the requirements so that you may race. Most street driven cars will not require a detailed check-in, however if you have modified your car, you may be subject to rules that could keep you from being able to race. GLD is an NHRA-sanctioned dragstrip, we follow NHRA rules. You can get more information on the NHRA by visiting their Web Site. Once you pass tech, your number will be written on the front and rear windshields. This number will allow the tower operator to identify your car, as well as the person in the ET Shack.

Voodoo Chick
12-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I meant drag racing......the car I would be starting out with does have a very huge overflow container, and I pretty much ALWAYS wear jeans and longer t-shirts anyway, so I guess that works out. The car was raced by someone else, and I guess she gets around 15-16 seconds, if I remember correctly, so not a scary one to learn on, I think. I think starting with a slow one would be a good idea.

HY35F2T
12-26-2008, 10:52 PM
so whats the race car got done are these both 2nd gens?

Voodoo Chick
12-26-2008, 11:39 PM
so whats the race car got done are these both 2nd gens?

The "scary" one is the 2nd gen, 1979 Z28, and she's had pretty much everything done, nothing on that car is stock anymore. That one is just insanely fast, and way too much of a hellion for me to handle on a track right now, being as inexperienced as I am. I just drive her around in summer for the sake of driving her for now. She's hotter than Hell........The other Camaro is a 3rd gen, 1989 RS, and that one is bone-stock, not fast, but very fun to drive. I am going to fix that one up in spring, make her very pretty, and learn to race with her, seeing as she doesn't scare me. The Z28 is just tooooo much to learn on, she's one of those "experienced drivers only" kind of cars, and I don't want her to kill me, lol!! :stare :)

HY35F2T
12-27-2008, 12:26 AM
The "scary" one is the 2nd gen, 1979 Z28, and she's had pretty much everything done, nothing on that car is stock anymore. That one is just insanely fast, and way too much of a hellion for me to handle on a track right now, being as inexperienced as I am. I just drive her around in summer for the sake of driving her for now. She's hotter than Hell........The other Camaro is a 3rd gen, 1989 RS, and that one is bone-stock, not fast, but very fun to drive. I am going to fix that one up in spring, make her very pretty, and learn to race with her, seeing as she doesn't scare me. The Z28 is just tooooo much to learn on, she's one of those "experienced drivers only" kind of cars, and I don't want her to kill me, lol!! :stare :)

whats it got done motor wise if u care to tell.ah 3rd gens i miss mine.:alcoholic

Voodoo Chick
12-27-2008, 04:52 AM
whats it got done motor wise if u care to tell.ah 3rd gens i miss mine.:alcoholic

What was all done with the '79.....? I don't give away her secrets, lol! ;) Gotta have a few surprises for when I'm ready to "show her off!!" :shades
The '89 has had nothing done so far, she's in dire need of some TLC, she's at that special point of where they are about to look real rough if something isn't done ASAP. Scuffed up paint, a little rust, chipped up paint on the ground effects, interior getting a little shabby. I think about 2 months of hard work in spring will have her looking pretty cherry again. I can't wait to do that, too. The poor thing has been used as a daily driver for the past year, and this is her last year of doing that. I know a lot of people here probably don't see an '89 RS as much to brag about, but I do, she's precious to me, and I can't stand to see her all salt/grime/dirt covered anymore. In May or June I'll post pics of her all fixed up!!