PDA

View Full Version : what y'all think about a vert?

Crawlin
01-31-2004, 08:24 PM
what do you guys think about a convertible drag car? I know me and Lekan had talked about a few things having to do with them, but i think a convert. drag car would be awesome. Surely you LT1 gurus would know about George Baxter and his car. I had wanted to make a car that looked like his for a while, never thought about it for a convertible though.

Chris

Prince Valiant
01-31-2004, 08:59 PM
well, the ultra conservative rules they impose on convertibles and cage requirements would steer me away from it...what fun is putting the top down when all you have is steel around you? That plus the weight penalty of the cage, and the car itself...I just say convertibles are more for cruising than anything else.

Knyghtmare
01-31-2004, 10:25 PM
I dont like verts period... eh... I say no, but thats me...

Cryptic
02-01-2004, 12:26 AM
I dont see the point in making a vert a track car. nothing wrong with modding it for the street. Vert's have their purpose. Cruising and picking up underage chicks :goof :nutkick

Al
02-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Verts weigh more and need more stiffening to handle the extra power when drag racing.

Hardtops are the better way to go.

Crawlin
02-01-2004, 10:43 AM
well, once it has the 10pt cage in it, it doesn't really matter. the weight difference doesn't bother me too much. oh well, it got sold anyways, dammit

Prince Valiant
02-01-2004, 10:50 AM
If weight is no longer a problem for you then buy this:

http://micsauto.com/polarafrontleft.jpg

A 66 polara...It's got a 383 that you could work with or a 440 is as simple a motor swap as you can get, hell we could build a nice 500ci v8 even...the bid is only at 3800 right now :thumbsup

Knyghtmare
02-01-2004, 12:10 PM
It looks like it should be floating in that lake on the other side of it.

BAD LS1
02-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Well i see edlebroke came out with the carbed ls1 intake Chris. But better plan on a 3rd gen vert to make that work,cause of the carb to cowl clearance issue.....

I wont be trading my EFI in anytime soon for a carbed intake thats for sure.... such a technilogical engine taking 20 steps back :mad:

Crawlin
02-01-2004, 10:45 PM
edelbrock's got a dual plane, YUCK

GM Performance Parts came out with a single plane. and it'll still fit in the 4th gen bay, just needs a bit of trimming :) already have pics of where it is necessary. nothing to big, plenty of people have done it. only need to worry about WOT, so driveability isn't really a concern, and never has been( i.e. 4400 stall)

Chris

PS- the GMPP intake has bungs to tap for a direct port, OR it can be used as an injector bung with like a dominator like throttle body, which will be used when i can afford a FAST system and have a engine worthy of it