PDA

View Full Version : So What would you do?

Holeshot
12-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Personally This makes me think twice. I have family members that are required by law to render aid as they are in the medical field.

Would you risk helping knowing in the back of your mind you could be sued?

:rolleyes: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2008/12/23/pn.samaritan.sued.for.rescue.cnn

Car Guy
12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I can see the point being made but it's complete BULLSH!T, if $$$ was not a factor we wouldn't hear about this lawsuit.....

Yooformula
12-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I think the term bullsh!t comes to mind. There really is no way to know if she was going to be paralyzed either way. 45 mph head on into a pole? Her vertebrae was already smashed. I guess this means now you just sit with some popcorn and watch or continue on your way. Was any blame even given to the driver that hit the pole? or was she the driver and now trying to defer her own blame?

xxtremeteam
12-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I am a wisconsin emt since august of 1999 this is a law that protects all of use you choose to help or not, in my opinion the friend who is sueing will get nothing in court, if this was a friend of mine and i saw smoke,fluids from car or a chance for fire or a chance for things to get worse I would pullthem out its commonly refured to as a rapid extraction.

good samaritan law:
For the associated New Testament story, see Parable of the Good Samaritan.

A statue representing the Good Samaritan's rescue of an injured travelerGood Samaritan laws in the United States are laws or acts protecting from liability those who choose to aid others who are injured or ill. They are intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death. Similarly, in Canada, a good Samaritan doctrine is a legal principle that prevents a rescuer who has voluntarily helped a victim in distress from being successfully sued for 'wrongdoing'. Its purpose is to keep people from being reluctant to help a stranger in need for fear of legal repercussions if they were to make some mistake in treatment.[1] Good Samaritan laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, as will their interactions with various other legal principles, such as consent, parental rights and the right to refuse treatment. Such laws generally do not apply to medical professionals' or career emergency responders' on-the-job conduct, but some extend protection to professional rescuers when they are acting in a volunteer capacity.

The principles contained in good Samaritan laws more typically operate in countries in which the foundation of the legal system is English Common Law, such as Australia[2]. In many countries that use civil law as the foundation for their legal systems, the same legal effect is more typically achieved using a principle of duty to rescue.

from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_samaritan_law

OxmanWI
12-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Holy shit, what is the world coming to? This should have thrown out of court under the "Good Samaritan Law."

EDIT: ^^^ Just saw your post.

Myles
12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
yeah fuck that, if a friend pulled me out of a car and all of a sudden i was paralyzed i wouldnt be suing the friend. I would probably thank him or her for caring. People need to be shot.

SSDude
12-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Holy shit, what is the world coming to? This should have thrown out of court under the "Good Samaritan Law."

EDIT: ^^^ Just saw your post.

California supreme court thinks otherwise. Bunch of tools

Voodoo Chick
12-24-2008, 02:04 PM
This whole article makes me sad. It really brings to light how sh*tty the world is getting.

Reverend Cooper
12-24-2008, 04:54 PM
if iam in a car and look like my face just met a telephone pole several times I would sue you for not throwing a match at the fluids

moels
12-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Ummm, your face looks like that already. J/K bro, Merry Christmas to you guys.

Reverend Cooper
12-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Merry Christmas to you too,I hope Santa shits in your sock

moels
12-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Lol, thanks Coop!

2006wrxtr
12-24-2008, 06:14 PM
She should go over to the bitches house and stab her in the back of the neck and make her a quadraplegic, then say " sue me now bitch!!"