PDA

View Full Version : Truck shuts off at random.

Flicktitty
12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
:fire

TRUCK : 1992 Chevy 1500 4x4 5.7L 350.

So friday night me and Liz where out driving to Wal-Mart and the truck shut off at about 30mph so i got the truck slowed down. Poped the hood and nothing wrong. checked some fuses and nothing. Hit the gas tank (even though the gauge showed 1/2 tanks)and it sounded empty.

Had a friend come with a few gallons of gas, and got the truck back to a gas station put 15 gallons in and then went home.

Today i went to leave Liz's house (Pilgrim & Lisbon) got to 124th and Lisbon and the truck shut off. So i started it back up after about 5-7 cranks, and the truck drove to the intersection of 124th and capitol and shut off and i couldn't get it started. so a brookfeild cop came and pushed my truck to the Target right there where it remains. I hit the gas tank again and it sounded empty again. :fire i put 4 miles on from friday-now. i went got some HEET and a few gallons of gas and it started, i drove it for about 5 min and it shut off again. and had it pulled back to the parking lot. The truck won't stay running anymore for any length of time.

what could be wrong? Frozen fuel line? Frozen Tank? Sending unit? Computer? engine sensor? i'm stumped.... and i need it taken care of.

Thanks - Nick

DirtyMax
12-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Can you hear the fuel pump energizing every time?

Flicktitty
12-22-2008, 05:19 PM
i can't really tell... I haven't layed under the truck and it's too windy to hear it any other time.

DirtyMax
12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
That should be your first step then. I'd say with the Ethanol and such that they put in the gas nowadays, freeze up is unlikely esp. since it wasn't terribly cold on Friday.

rally_scort
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
i can't really tell... I haven't layed under the truck and it's too windy to hear it any other time.

just put your hand on the tank, youll feel the vibration if you cant hear it.

lordairgtar
12-22-2008, 05:30 PM
just put your hand on the tank, youll feel the power of the Lord course through your hand with healing power.
Fixed.:D

GRNDNL
12-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Fuel Pump.....

Put a GM one in or you'll be doing it every 6 months..............

Yeehaw
12-22-2008, 07:10 PM
yep delphi pump or nothin

hard to say really my thunderbird did that and it was the TPS. could be the crank sensor? could be simple like a fuel filter getting plugged but when you shut it off and let it sit a minute the dirt will reside letting the truck restart then plugging again when was the last time it was changed? check engine light on recommend having the comp scanned for any possible codes before jumping on putting money into expensive parts you do not need

Flicktitty
12-22-2008, 07:33 PM
the check engine light has been on for about 4 months since i put a new motor in it, i just never reset it. ima try and get it to liz's tonight and see if i can see what it is. thanks.

A B4C Z
12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
saw one in the shop once that did the same thing it would only run for about 1 min tho. It would then shut off. on the pass side there was a bunch of fusible links on the fire wall one was all corroded. Just something to look at.

Russ Jerome
12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/images/test_fuel_pressure.jpg

WhatsADSM
12-22-2008, 08:14 PM
^^ I agree. Once you get it to the point where it wont start, do the basics.

Check for fuel pressure, and check for spark with a light. That will likely lead you in one direction or another.

Reverend Cooper
12-22-2008, 09:18 PM
First things first,Is it losing spark? or is it losing fuel? figure that out first.

BAD LS1
12-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Dont these old TBI motors get all jacked up as such if the ECT sensor goes cowshit and defaults intermitently? prolly more fuel related though due to the temps id bet.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Sadly Rochester toilet bowl injection has no fuel pressure test port and you have to undo a line and cobble a gauge into there. Thankfully its pretty easy to see if its pissing gas down the hole while cranking, or throw some gas down there when it stall and see if it starts.

Almost sounds like pick up coil and or ign module to me. I don't think these trucks kill fuel pumps near as much as the Vortecs.
Spark and fuel like mentioned.

wrath
12-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Hard starting is usually a sign of a weak fuel pump. TBI likes at least 13psi. It'll run on 9psi until about 2500rpm under load. It'll start pooping itself at 7psi at idle.

If it dies as it gets warmer it's usually the coil.

If it dies due to running for shit as it gets warmer sometimes it's the magnet in the distributor base being cracked.

Usually the ignition control modules on TBI just flat out die. Sometimes they do get a weaker and weaker spark as they get hot though.

If it's running REALLY rough just before it dies and the engine is warm but when it first starts it runs fine it's usually the MAP sensor.

Al
12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Can you scan it? Is it OBDI?

Flicktitty
12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I got the truck back to liz's house (Thank you breecher)

the truck runs fine it just flat out dies.
no stutter, no hesitation,no nothing.

just flat out shuts off as if you turned a key.

i was in a Integra when the fuel pump went out and it chugged and bogged for a little while then just went.
so i dounno.

the cap/rotor/coil is about a year 1/2 old.
nothing fuel related has been done on the truck to my knowledge.

moels
12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
I had this issue in an old Blazer work truck I had. I believe it was something related to the starter.

formul8
12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Loose or corroded ground somewhere would cause this. Check the battery cables to make sure they are tight.

Cryptic
12-23-2008, 12:24 PM
loose battery terminal or bad ground I'm thinking

Reverend Cooper
12-23-2008, 06:44 PM
bad coil or signal generator or such what ever the set up is