PDA

View Full Version : leaky wall A/c unit

Silver86
12-21-2008, 02:47 PM
i figured out where that cold breeze was comming from in our living room. what can i use to temporarily fix it? its letting air in from around the seam, where the unit meets the wall.

once it gets warm out i plan on going out there and replacing it with a newer unit. but untill then, i need to seal this leak!

GTSLOW
12-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Can't you get a plastic winter cover from menards w/ double sided tape or something like that?

Silver86
12-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Can't you get a plastic winter cover from menards w/ double sided tape or something like that?

i could... im trying to get some ideas together b4 i go out and brave this weather.

88Nightmare
12-21-2008, 03:04 PM
I would try some sealant caulk if its not too big of a gap. Caulk would be easy to remove in the future. A putty knife and a box cutter and it could be removed in no time

awsomeears
12-21-2008, 03:08 PM
I gotta ask...............

What the hell is it doing in there during the Winter, I mean come on now :)

I would take that thing out and try not to rig something up, you don't realize how much heat and $$$ you are wasting.

Unless its hacked in there to stay in there, if that's the case go and pick up some 1" pink insulation board and Make a BOX and tape it over it.

If you plan on just putting plastic over it then your lazy hahahaha

Sorry if I sound like a Douche but with today's fuel cost and trying to save $$$ having a A/C in the window is just dumb.

Silver86
12-21-2008, 03:13 PM
its built into the wall... if i take it out... what im i supposed to put in its place?

88Nightmare
12-21-2008, 03:14 PM
When my family lived in our old house, we didnt have central air, we just had a ginormous wall mounted a/c unit, permenantly installed. It wasnt meant to be removed. It sounds like what the original poster has as well

Silver86
12-21-2008, 03:15 PM
When my family lived in our old house, we didnt have central air, we just had a ginormous wall mounted a/c unit, permenantly installed. It wasnt meant to be removed. It sounds like what the original poster has as well

correct.

edit: im not that dumb... if it were a window a/c unit, it wouldve been taken out and packed up in september.

88Nightmare
12-21-2008, 03:20 PM
if its just a temporary fix thats needed, id say throw some clear silicone caulk around it and call it a day

BadAzzGTA89
12-21-2008, 03:26 PM
if its just a temporary fix thats needed, id say throw some clear silicone caulk around it and call it a day
That's what i would do and if it's a bigger gap throw some weather stipping foam in the gap then caulk it up!Also would be a good idea to make a "cover box" out of pink board!!

88Nightmare
12-21-2008, 03:32 PM
good call on the cover box. Air can seep in directly through the units vents

awsomeears
12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
correct.

edit: im not that dumb... if it were a window a/c unit, it wouldve been taken out and packed up in september.

Thank god :thumbsup

But seriously pick up some 1 or 2 inch pink insulation board and make a box that fits over it. I have done it before and it works great, caulking it up won't do much.

Plus those in-wall a/c units that can't be taken out have leaky ass doors and no R-insulation value and out goes your heat.

Make a box trust me it will work great :headbang

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-21-2008, 03:35 PM
If you have nothing more than rags you can stuff those in the gap with a butterknife or some such tool.

88Nightmare
12-21-2008, 03:45 PM
the foam insulation plus caulk will seal up the edges where the unit joins with the wall, and then the pink board box will help protect the unit itself from being drafty

awsomeears
12-21-2008, 04:03 PM
the foam insulation plus caulk will seal up the edges where the unit joins with the wall, and then the pink board box will help protect the unit itself from being drafty

I agree :thumbsup

Silver86
12-21-2008, 04:18 PM
well... found some silicone in the garage and ran a bead around the a/c unit... it helped a little... better than it was b4. i think its worse then it appears. when i went to run a bead on the bottom of the unit... i could see outside!!! not a really big gap, but enough to see light.

awsomeears, you have a PM