PDA

View Full Version : Snowplowers, need some advice

rally_scort
12-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Around tax season, im going to be looking for a smaller plow setup.Ive been using a buddies rig this year(08 silverado).Ive been looking around for something smaller, like an older cherokee or wrangler.My accounts consist of medium size driveways, and small business lots, along with some sidewalks and city walks.What would you guys suggest for a small compact plow setup, since ill be fitting in smaller lots? I was considering an older Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler.Ive seen a couple explorers and blazers, but id like some advice on what works well and what should last with a plow on it.Id prefer to get something 5spd, but i can deal with an auto.Any advice?

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-20-2008, 10:07 AM
SFA I-6> IFS V6

In other words, IT'S A JEEP THING.

Lash
12-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Snoway plows are nice for doing smaller jobs. That or a Fisher SD series.

I'd look into an older chevy pick-up. You can find them pretty cheap...plus you haul salt shovels and a snowblowr in the back if you need it.

rally_scort
12-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Snoway plows are nice for doing smaller jobs. That or a Fisher SD series.

I'd look into an older chevy pick-up. You can find them pretty cheap...plus you haul salt shovels and a snowblowr in the back if you need it.

what i planned to so was either gut the rear of the cherokee and throw a snowblower in the back, or just pickup a small trailer to drop when i plow.Im starting to lean towards the Cherokee, they can be had for pretty damn cheap.

Lash
12-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't want to be towing a trailer around in snow. Especially a light one.

Prince Valiant
12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
See if you can't find an old Comanche...basically a cherokee with a pick-up bed. Another option is get a cheap wrangler and they actually make little pick-up conversion bed kits for them...I'm sure it's expensive, but they're certainly cool.

GTSLOW
12-20-2008, 11:31 AM
^ the only one that I know of is the AEV Brute kit that's like 7k. I'd love to have a Comanche myself dunno if you'd find one locally thats not rusted through.

rally_scort
12-20-2008, 11:44 AM
i think its gunna come down to either a Cherokee, or an older f-series with the torquey 300 I-6 unless i can come across a comanche.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I liked being able to put my snowblower into the back of my old Cherokee by myself, it had a nice large hatch opening and sat lower so I was able to lift it easily. I tried with my Grand Cherokee yesterday and its total rubbish the chute wont even clear the ceiling and its so high up it now takes 2 guys.

The Grand does have a nice receiver hitch tho so I think I'm going to either custom build or buy one of those receiver hitch cargo carriers to haul the snowblower, I like being able to take the snowblower over to my Ma's when we get the heavy snow.

XJ Jeeps are pretty durable and cheap to get and maintain tho so I think they would be a good choice. For little intricate work were you don't have to go 8 million miles an hour and blast snow all over the place they would seem ideal. CJ style Jeeps are obviously better than Cherokees for this type of works but are more $$$.

Snow Way down pressure FTW.

stenchmiester
12-20-2008, 01:21 PM
my setup for last year was an old county parks truck it was a 91 ranger 4.0 with a v plow that fit sidewalks nicely when I sol the truck I kept the plow an salter for another ranger