PDA

View Full Version : Best $800-$1000 snowblower?

HP ADDICT
12-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Anyone have any suggestions? My current single stage is dying and want a nicer unit for all this white stuff. Let me know if you see any killer deals.

Holeshot
12-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I bought this today at Lowes and it eats snow and ice like no tomorrow.
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_523260_55003_-1

Best thing it was only $599. Quiet and strong. Electric start rocks too.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-19-2008, 09:38 PM
^^ I got the same one from lowes last year only mine has a Tecumseh on it, love it.
I cant afford a toro or airens but glad to have something thats works damn fine for half the money.

Holeshot
12-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I was going to buy an Airens but the wheel drive gears are plastic and strip from the research I did online.

Memphis
12-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Just make sure to maintain them. They're built by MTD (or similar) and dont seem to hold up for long term use. I'm not knocking them, but in my experience they just arent built or engineered as well from the ones I've run across.

CarrotTop
12-19-2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.brutepower.com/products/snow_throwers/product_information/index.cfm?id=Endeca.38794

I would go with that one. Really nice have them at Menards.(949 on sale currently) Has some great things on it to.

awsomeears
12-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Just make sure to maintain them. They're built by MTD (or similar) and dont seem to hold up for long term use. I'm not knocking them, but in my experience they just arent built or engineered as well from the ones I've run across.

X2 Memphis you are very correct, I have been fixing anything with a small engine since I was 15 :thumbsup and I see a pattern of what breaks and what doesn't break.

Ariens FTMFW :headbang
And I always had good luck with Simplicity

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-19-2008, 11:15 PM
You could probably get a nice new toro 5-24 for $900

GTSLOW
12-19-2008, 11:40 PM
http://www.brutepower.com/products/snow_throwers/product_information/index.cfm?id=Endeca.38794

I would go with that one. Really nice have them at Menards.(949 on sale currently) Has some great things on it to.

That thing looks like it would turn around and eat the operator!! Mean mofo.

70 cutlass 442
12-20-2008, 02:45 AM
TORO, AIRENS, SIMPLICITY. thats all i would ever buy

Jsho13
12-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Toro, my old man just bought a single stage 6 or 7hp, electric start for 700 something.

70 cutlass 442
12-20-2008, 02:58 AM
/\/\ I sold toros for about 2 years. hands down the best. idc what anyone else has to say, we service all the other brands but only sold the toros id that tells you anything. theos lieeke single stage ones run like a raped ape!

Sprayaway Fox
12-20-2008, 03:24 AM
If you can find a Lawn Boy those things will eat your car if its parked under snow! 8 Hp or above 2 stage, anything else would be uncivilized.:thumbsup:rolf

Memphis
12-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Even a nice used toro, simplicity, or ariens as long as they work good. Easy to fix, parts are plentifuill, and they are built well and last.

Memphis
12-20-2008, 08:26 AM

That machine looks similar to the troy-built. Look at the design, the cables, etc. Probably built by the same place for each seperate company.

BAD LS1
12-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Brute's are a Murray chassis and are Briggs built. I actually have to build a training program for those throwers very soon!

IMHO Stick with a Toro if you want single stage, and for your driveway Randy that would run circles around a 2-stage. You can get the snow commander which is like a smaller CCR on steroids and even has the H.O. 7.5HP 2-cycle with boost ports. Otherwise your into a H.O.P. (husqvarna outdoor products) unit from like sears, a Briggs built snapper, SMI, John Deere, or Brute. MTD's (troy-bilt) now have chinese engines on them BTW... not a very good track record on those and thats pretty much all they use since Tecumseh is now defunkt.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-20-2008, 08:56 AM
R.I.P. Tecumseh Snow King, I never had better luck with an engine, throttle up, choke closed, a couple of primes and 1 healthy pull.

My dad but a $100 Murray lawnmower this summer with that china engine, what a POS.

BAD LS1
12-20-2008, 09:00 AM
R.I.P. Tecumseh Snow King, I never had better luck with an engine, throttle up, choke closed, a couple of primes and 1 healthy pull.

My dad but a $100 Murray lawnmower this summer with that china engine, what a POS.

Would have been an MTD with the china motor, Murray's only get Briggs.

Exitspeed
12-20-2008, 09:11 AM
I ended up borrowing an extra MTD my uncle had and the the works great.

Memphis
12-20-2008, 09:30 AM
mtd's work ok for limited use, but long term they wont hold up. Just my opinion, but I do alot of work on snowblowers and mowers and have seen alot of crap as well as alot of good machines. Just my opinion...

nitrous
12-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Brute.

/thread

2JZIS-F
12-20-2008, 09:40 AM

Couldnt ask for a better one :thumbsup

BadAzzGTA89
12-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I have 2 Ariens 5hp snow blowers hell one has to be atleast 25 years old and the engine just froze up but the little thing would go through any thing!!!! So i think Ariens are the best damm snowblowers around IMO:thumbsup

ND4SPD
12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
I just bought a Craftsman...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188955000P

Did just fine yesterday. I guess we'll see how it does, and how long it'll last. It looks almost identical to the MTD, anyone know who the OEM is for the Craftsman blowers?

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-20-2008, 01:08 PM

Did just fine yesterday. I guess we'll see how it does, and how long it'll last. It looks almost identical to the MTD, anyone know who the OEM is for the Craftsman blowers?

Gotta say MTD on that particular model.

BAD LS1
12-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Yup MTD on that one... most of them are H.O.P in the upper models of Sears.

88Nightmare
12-20-2008, 05:45 PM
we have a older john deere blower here. 24" cutting path, I think a 7 or 8 horse tecumseh motor. My pull cable broke years ago and im too lazy to restring it, so I just use the electric starter. Thing works like a charm. Throttle up, choke closed, 3 good primer pumps, and the thing starts faster then my silverado lol

So what does it mean when its a 2 stage? One PTO lever for the drivewheels, and one for the auger? And a 1 stage is one lever that controls both?

BAD LS1
12-20-2008, 06:35 PM
we have a older john deere blower here. 24" cutting path, I think a 7 or 8 horse tecumseh motor. My pull cable broke years ago and im too lazy to restring it, so I just use the electric starter. Thing works like a charm. Throttle up, choke closed, 3 good primer pumps, and the thing starts faster then my silverado lol

So what does it mean when its a 2 stage? One PTO lever for the drivewheels, and one for the auger? And a 1 stage is one lever that controls both?

One slow turning auger for busting up snow into passable chunks that feeds a faster impeller that actually throws the snow out the chute.

97z2801ss
12-20-2008, 06:40 PM
My dads 22 years old, simplicity, with a 8 horse briggs motor works like a charm the choke needs to be on all the time for it to run and the plug needs to be cleaned once n a while but thats it.

88Nightmare
12-20-2008, 06:42 PM
ahhh, well then the John Deere snow blower over here is a 2 stage with the tecumseh. love it!

indyzmike
12-20-2008, 10:43 PM
15 year old Toro 724 here. I had to put a new starter rope on it today but it is a reliable machine.
My brother has a 25 year old 724, much heavier than the new ones, but still running strong.

WilliamZ
12-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Single stage- Toro or Honda
2 Stage- Honda

jbiscuit
12-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Toro or Ariens. My dad has a 25 year old 8hp Ariens that will go through anything. Needs an auger belt every 7 years or so but thats about it. Electric start too FTW.

My lil Craftsman has been doing quite well for what it is.

97z2801ss
12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Yea the simplicity Has electric start too... pretty nice

HP ADDICT
12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Bought the Brute...thing is bad ass.

70 cutlass 442
12-24-2008, 04:04 PM

That particular one is MTD. they used to have Electrolux and AYP (American yard products) build them. but MTD now whores to everyone..... my advice to you..... start a New snow blower fund and everytime you use it donate $10 to it..... in a few years when yours falls apart you should have close to enough saved up for a toro or airens. :thumbsup

DirtyMax
12-24-2008, 04:05 PM
They had a Yard Machines 30" with a 305cc Briggs on it at Home Dump for $899

Then there's the 30" 11hp Ariens for like $1399.

Trying to decide if its worth $500 difference. I'm not cheap but also don't want to go overkill if it's not necessary....

70 cutlass 442
12-24-2008, 04:10 PM
/\/\ honestly, id go with a Toro if that is your price range.... MTD is HORRIBLE when it comes to warranty work. their shit falls apart. Airens is Deffintaly a step up, but the dealer network is not as great. Toro is made rite in minnisota, and i know the service rep in SE wisconsin personally, toros just plain kick ass.... of and on their 2 stage models, they will cover pickup and delivery if anything were to fail in the wattanty peroid. I Wish i had a hookup at the dealership still, but they really fucked up their working relations with a lot of people.... I would reccomened them only if you deal with Todd, otherwise any ma and pop hardware store will do.... stay away from chain stores as well.... the meth heads they got putting them togeather always seem to loose parts and just send the machien out the door anyways. good luck!

BAD LS1
12-24-2008, 05:01 PM
/\/\ honestly, id go with a Toro if that is your price range.... MTD is HORRIBLE when it comes to warranty work. their shit falls apart. Airens is Deffintaly a step up, but the dealer network is not as great. Toro is made rite in minnisota, and i know the service rep in SE wisconsin personally, toros just plain kick ass.... of and on their 2 stage models, they will cover pickup and delivery if anything were to fail in the wattanty peroid. I Wish i had a hookup at the dealership still, but they really fucked up their working relations with a lot of people.... I would reccomened them only if you deal with Todd, otherwise any ma and pop hardware store will do.... stay away from chain stores as well.... the meth heads they got putting them togeather always seem to loose parts and just send the machien out the door anyways. good luck!

R.L. Ryerson - Gordie?

70 cutlass 442
12-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Yep. Gordie pepler and John retzer!

Memphis
12-24-2008, 09:09 PM

I agree, if those are your two choices, although I also like the ariens machines as well. They are now running Briggs motors and there are dealers in the area who will service and sell parts for them.

70 cutlass 442
12-25-2008, 03:09 AM
briggs motors suck... the snow king has been the cats ass sine the 60s... briggs tried a few of their smaller 4 strokes in the 21" single stage and thoes were nothing but warranty claim after claim. briggs are garbage plain and simple.

BAD LS1
12-25-2008, 07:33 AM
briggs motors suck... the snow king has been the cats ass sine the 60s... briggs tried a few of their smaller 4 strokes in the 21" single stage and thoes were nothing but warranty claim after claim. briggs are garbage plain and simple.

Lol yeah i used to work at tecumseh as a service coordinator... and worked on them in a shop for 7 years so i seen them from everyside and im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you. Now working at briggs and having worked on the "first" briggs snow engines in the past like the shakey 8's (m19's) yah those were shit with the leak master 2piece flo-jet carbs. But new intek M12 thru M20's (not M9 horizontals or quantums gone snow like in some craftsman units) are a metric shit ton better than any HMSK80-100, HSSK55 or the like. Besides now tecumseh is done making engines period, all your gonna get is a MTD china snow engine or a Briggs on any new product.

DirtyMax
12-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Good info.

I'm not bound to any one brand or manufacturer. I'll buy whatever is going to serve me the best. It sounds like from both here and offline conversations that Toro might be the way to go.

Thanks!

DirtyMax
12-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I picked up my first single stage. Toro 221QE. 21 inches of two cycle fury. It ate through the "plow slop" at the end of the driveway like it was nobody's business. Twas so much fun I went and cleaned out my 2 neighbors approaches too. :headbang

xxsn0blindxx
12-26-2008, 03:40 PM
You could probably get a nice new toro 5-24 for $900

I inherited my grandparents' 5-24 when we bought our house this fall. It's a 1981 model and has sat for the last 5+ years, after taking apart and cleaning out the carb and putting fresh gas and spark plug in, the thing runs like a champ. For being 17 years old I'm thoroughly impressed with it. Toro still carries all the replacement parts for it too. I would highly recommend a Toro.

70 cutlass 442
12-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Lol yeah i used to work at tecumseh as a service coordinator... and worked on them in a shop for 7 years so i seen them from everyside and im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you. Now working at briggs and having worked on the "first" briggs snow engines in the past like the shakey 8's (m19's) yah those were shit with the leak master 2piece flo-jet carbs. But new intek M12 thru M20's (not M9 horizontals or quantums gone snow like in some craftsman units) are a metric shit ton better than any HMSK80-100, HSSK55 or the like. Besides now tecumseh is done making engines period, all your gonna get is a MTD china snow engine or a Briggs on any new product.

well, i just base my info off of the number of warranty claims i had to write over the past two seasons.... I was reffering to the smaller briggs motors that toro uses in the single stage 4 stroke (421 and 421qe models) thoes things were throwing startes off, govoners would fail and send a rod out the bottom... all on 2 week old units.....

I inherited my grandparents' 5-24 when we bought our house this fall. It's a 1981 model and has sat for the last 5+ years, after taking apart and cleaning out the carb and putting fresh gas and spark plug in, the thing runs like a champ. For being 17 years old I'm thoroughly impressed with it. Toro still carries all the replacement parts for it too. I would highly recommend a Toro.

i beleive the 524 is disct as of this year. there is a powermax 6000 that is a larger 2 storke 2 cycle that throws snow like a mfer , but thats pre mix.... great machines non the less.