PDA

View Full Version : How much smack on this engine?

Sprayaway Fox
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I got a SBC and a set of 11.1 JE pistons rite now. Looking to get a Callies Stealth(3.48) crank and CAT H beams (6.0). Cam is a lunati cam staggered duration cam to 7000 RPM Solid cam. Dunno what heads yet but like a set of used Track 1's. How much smack would you feel comfy shooting on a single stage? Ill be having a MSD dial to take timing out also.

Thinking about a 2 stage setup but when looking at that I seen a 2 stage setup for a plate anybody use this on a 4150 setup? Or most of you guys use a plate and a fog setp?

Looking to keep it street but crack the bottles and run like a MO FO. with some racegas.

juicedimpss
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
id get a better rod in it if you want to spray it hard.

how much will it take? it all depends on the tuneup.

Sprayaway Fox
12-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Im pretty safe with the tunes (knock, knock) on a single stage but dont really know how to mess with a 2 stage (timing wise/window). Gotta do a lil more reading on that yet.

Damn, I can pic up the rods Cheap NIB. On a single stage work my way up to 200 then no more. Looking to put this in a S10 sometime if one of my stangs sell cause of the economy.

DR.FORD
12-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Im pretty safe with the tunes (knock, knock) on a single stage but dont really know how to mess with a 2 stage (timing wise/window). Gotta do a lil more reading on that yet.

Damn, I can pic up the rods Cheap NIB. On a single stage work my way up to 200 then no more. Looking to put this in a S10 sometime if one of my stangs sell cause of the economy.

Trust me, they are cheap for a reason.

juicedimpss
12-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Trust me, they are cheap for a reason.

i was thinking the same thing.
hell,scat rods would be like 5 steps up,although i think scotty had cat stuff in his old 540.
my opinion,buy decent rods,or dont buy any at all.
i got away with about 175 shot on some stock lt1 rods for quite some time,one failed once i tried running it out the back door on the fogger.:rolf

sloLs1
12-19-2008, 03:29 PM
hell,scat rods would be like 5 steps up,although i think scotty had cat stuff in his old 540.
i got away with about 175 shot on some stock lt1 rods for quite some time,one failed once i tried running it out the back door on the fogger.:rolf

:rolf

the stock rods in my sbc350 took a 200 shot... once at the track and a few passes down the street :devil ..... and it still runs like a top!

definatly agree on getting better rods! you dont want to fvck up a nice new crank or complete motor for that sake....

DR.FORD
12-19-2008, 05:33 PM

You have used nitrous?

scottie K
12-19-2008, 08:11 PM
haha my C.A.T rods & Crank held 955hp/940tq to the tire :) but i wouldnt recomend spraying heavy loads on CAT stuff....lol lol

your combo should run in the low 10s/ 9s PENDING

LIKE DR FORD SAID ..... HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED WITH HEAVY NOS??? ITS REAL EASY TO GOOOF ON YOUR TUNE EVEN IF ITS SAFE ......

Sprayaway Fox
12-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Every ride I got has spray on it, but usually stick to the script NX gives me. (which is fine with me) Im putting together a swap meet(freshend used stuff) motor. Most I ever shot was 125 on a slick at the track and I never spray out of the hole (just me), problably stick around that but everybody knows how the nitrous game is. :rolf

Trying to make a pumpgas decent driver, then racegas mid 10 runner on the swap meet parts with no tub in the rear.

I will see if I can scoop up some better rods. Mite be a lil while for that but dont have anything to put it in right now. So I can wait for a good deal on some.Thanx guys:)

GTSLOW
12-19-2008, 11:43 PM
What's smack? :goof

Sprayaway Fox
12-20-2008, 05:38 AM
^^^^:rolf

Now for rod choice would a I beam be better? or a H?

Id be willing to shell out 450 max to keep in budget for a set. Any reccomendations on this combo?

twicks69
12-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Open up a Summit catalog and pick one.

$450 is nothing for decent rods. Shit, my Groden rods were $675 -- for a 4-cylinder! My Eagle rods were around $400; again -- for 4 rods.

As well, I would agree with tossing the CAT shit aside and picking up something a little nicer than B-stock rods that are sold on Ebay. I know they work, but you don't want to find out the hard way why they are B-stock rods as it makes a window in your block when it fails.

Doesn't Pauter, or Crower, or Manley, or Eagle make a quality H-beam 6" rod for your setup at a good price? All four of these companies products are top notch, and should easily be able to handle what you are throwing at it.

DR.FORD
12-20-2008, 10:32 AM
You have used nitrous?

This question was directed at Ron!

scottie K
12-20-2008, 11:01 AM
This question was directed at Ron!

whats nitrous?:alcoholic

juicedimpss
12-20-2008, 11:31 AM
You have used nitrous?

i meant to say "a guy i once talked to"

FourEyedFord
12-20-2008, 04:33 PM
^^^^:rolf

Now for rod choice would a I beam be better? or a H?

Id be willing to shell out 450 max to keep in budget for a set. Any reccomendations on this combo?

Just get a set of SCAT or Eagle 4340 H-Beam rods. I have an Eagle crank and Rods in my motor, just 4340 stuff, and they have worked fine. (So far the motor has seen 8300 rpm and plenty of power with no issues--Just be careful with who puts your motor together. ;))

*SNOOP*
12-20-2008, 05:02 PM
300 shot, one hit, direct port, c16.

Crawlin
12-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Just be careful with who puts your motor together. ;))

BOOOYAAAA!!!! ouch, :) hahaha

Sprayaway Fox
12-20-2008, 09:39 PM
I will be putting it together so I might be in trouble.:):rolf

I will know who to blame if it comes apart:rolf

DR.FORD
12-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I will be putting it together so I might be in trouble.:):rolf

I will know who to blame if it comes apart:rolf

Pay close attention to wrist pin clearance!
Otherwise put the clearances on the loose side of tolerance and have more fuel system for the nitrous than you need! Better to look like a city bus going down the track than pretty aluminum sparkles!!

Reverend Cooper
12-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I would run it right off the bottle No fuel just pull some timing,It will last a second or two

Sprayaway Fox
12-21-2008, 12:06 PM
^^^^ :rolf:rolfThat will be my "set on kill" tune.:goof

scottie K
12-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Pay close attention to wrist pin clearance!
Otherwise put the clearances on the loose side of tolerance and have more fuel system for the nitrous than you need! Better to look like a city bus going down the track than pretty aluminum sparkles!!

yea what he said

Sprayaway Fox
12-30-2008, 02:17 AM
I lost the crank on Ebay, went for a lil more than i wanted to bid :(

I think im going the tamer route on this setup. Prolly a 80-6-06 crank and a 100 hit on a set of bowl blended vortecs with some used scat rods i picked up from a bud.

My 10.5 SBC engine dreams shattered.
Thanx for the information though... Damn Im bummed:(:crying