PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

OxmanWI
12-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I work at XYZ company and I work with Bob and Tom. Bob is a drunk, comes to work late everyday and does a half ass job. Tom covers for Bob all the time, for instance, Tom will punch in for Bob so that it looks like Bob came to work on time but really is a good 45 minutes late and smells like whiskey. I don’t want to look like ******* rat and tell the boss, but I also feel bad for looking he other way. Bob does have a drinking problem and is dealing with the loss of a family member over the summer and seems that his life is falling apart, so I feel sorry for him. What would Jesus do, cause I'm not even sure!

Yeehaw
12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
thats a good one josh umm do you guys use timeslips or is it all on the computer?

STANMAN
12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Hmmm, one is stealing, and the other is falsifying company documents. Both are 1st time terminable offenses where I work, as well they should be. You have to love the thin red line between "narking" and "doing what's right":rolf. If you owned the business, what would you want someone in your position to do??

That_Guy
12-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Hmmm, one is stealing, and the other is falsifying company documents. Both are 1st time terminable offenses where I work, as well they should be. You have to love the thin red line between "narking" and "doing what's right":rolf. If you owned the business, what would you want someone in your position to do??

just do this.... tell your boss that there are 2 guys who are tampering with there hours tell them to stick around the clock in the morning... dont say any names..

BoosTT
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
If it doesen't effect you, then I wouldn't do anything. If it does, and it's been going on for a while without getting better, you should step in. Stepping it is directly related to how much it effects you. If it's a lot, then tell someone important. If its just a tiny bit, then maybe leave a note. That is what I would do.

Yooformula
12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
I would confront both of them and call them out. Not sure if I would tell the boss about them unless it did affect me other workers. Its not fair.

rally_scort
12-17-2008, 09:14 PM
give me the phone number and the names and ill call it in for you.I could care less, but at least you dont have to take the heat for it :thumbsup

Crawlin
12-17-2008, 09:22 PM
a person lost a family member? how close? 3rd cousin or whatever then no excuse. Son daughter sister brother mom dad? and is developing a drinking problem and life is falling apart.. i'd want to help him more than anything. And that'd be how I would present it to your superiors. Just make a note to them that you are worried about the guy. Was he cool before? Was he ever late before? Or is it just recently?

Help the guy instead of trying to fuck him over. And to all trying to fuck him over, please... if it's something serious, wouldnt you want to be helped? No one knows the situation so before you start calling the guy EMO or whatever, keep your "tough talk" bullshit to yourself. I've seen the consequences first hand of someone that wasn't offered help quick enough.

rally_scort
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM
a person lost a family member? how close? 3rd cousin or whatever then no excuse. Son daughter sister brother mom dad? and is developing a drinking problem and life is falling apart.. i'd want to help him more than anything. And that'd be how I would present it to your superiors. Just make a note to them that you are worried about the guy. Was he cool before? Was he ever late before? Or is it just recently?

Help the guy instead of trying to fuck him over. And to all trying to fuck him over, please... if it's something serious, wouldnt you want to be helped? No one knows the situation so before you start calling the guy EMO or whatever, keep your "tough talk" bullshit to yourself. I've seen the consequences first hand of someone that wasn't offered help quick enough.

now that I see what you typed, thats not a bad way to look at it.I also got to experience a very similar situation, just last week :(

STANMAN
12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
And yeah, if your employer offers an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) that would be THEIR 1st step in handling this problem, so don't think that because you tell your superiors that it means doom for both these guys. Well, probably the guy who's covering for the guy, he's pretty much toast as soon as anyone finds out, but the guy who's just having a rough patch, someone getting the right people involved is maybe something that could save his life, and the sooner the better.

Crawlin
12-17-2008, 09:34 PM
yeah, i'll agree with you guys on #2.... he should have gone to the superiors first before trying to cover for the guy...

get the donald to fire that guy... hahah

STANMAN
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
If it doesen't effect you, then I wouldn't do anything. If it does, and it's been going on for a while without getting better, you should step in. Stepping it is directly related to how much it effects you. If it's a lot, then tell someone important. If its just a tiny bit, then maybe leave a note. That is what I would do.

What an absolutly horrible way to look at ANY situation. I can't blame you though, I mean America as a whole basically did the same thing during WWII, we didn't get involved until it came into our own back yard, and nothing bad happened.....oh wait, that whole holocaust thing. Ahhh well, who cares, it didn't effect me. Well maybe a little. Perhaps I should write little Adolf a note about it. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_fe_st/odd_hitler_cake

(This is an attempt at humor BTW:rolf)

badass88gt
12-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Ask if he will punch you in so you can come in late.

STANMAN
12-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Now THIS is a suggestion Josh, outside the box thinking like this is where it's at:rolf

Voodoo Chick
12-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, I think in this case, sit down and REALLY consider the "Golden Rule." If it were you that lost someone, and was developing an addiction, and whose life was falling apart, what would you want people to do regarding YOU? Think about this very, very thoroughly, and act from there.

Reverend Cooper
12-17-2008, 10:27 PM

and if they agree tell them youll take them out for drinks

awsomeears
12-17-2008, 11:06 PM
If it affects you the Call them out at the same time, simply tell them they need to straighten up and the conversation you are having will only stay with you 3.

If it progresses further management will know. Or if you are somewhat friends with the drunk dude or you think deep down he is a good person talk to the guy. Drinking like a mad man usually has to do with being lonely and taking the easy way out.

Some people just need some words of wisdom or caring showed to them, you know make him feel worth something and not worthless.

pOrk
12-18-2008, 11:35 AM
in my line of work, working with someone drunk is extremely dangerous. Call them out, and if nothing changes you need to do whats right before somebody gets hurt.

Feature Pony
12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I would sit down with the guy that has the drinking problem and talk with him before going to management. let him know that he might loose his job and will take guy number 2 with him and that he has a problem and needs to get back into the "real life" again and find a different way to deal with his problems. If nothing is done after the talk then I would get management aware of this problem. That guy needs help and guy number 2 shouldn't be covering for him he should be also talking with him.

shoooo32
12-18-2008, 11:58 AM
how does your boss not notice this? My 10 employees can't fart without me finding out.

Nix
12-18-2008, 12:14 PM
My 10 employees can't fart without me finding out.

I would be willing to place a wager on this. I believe I would be able to time after time. :rolf :goof

Al
12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Let the boss know.

Mabey you will get lucky and some really cool people will replace them.

-stew-
12-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I've seen the consequences first hand of someone that wasn't offered help quick enough.

I've benefited first hand from being fired from being fired for being a drunk who came in late (5-10 minutes) almost daily. Wake up call or thing that sends them over the edge; all depends on the person. Now I don't work at Wisconsin Muffler, drink seven nights a week, or show up late. All three; improvements in my life.

OxmanWI
12-18-2008, 05:03 PM
thats a good one josh umm do you guys use timeslips or is it all on the computer?

It's by the computer, there's a camera on the punch machine so they're really rolling the dice.

a person lost a family member? Was he cool before? Was he ever late before? Or is it just recently?

I don't want to give too much info because you never know who’s watching, but it was his son and he was only 26. Yeah he's a great guy, never had a problem with him until now. I know he liked to drink on the weekends before. Recently? For the past 4 months or so I guess he's been late a good 15 times. Before that he'd be that guy that walked in 5 minutes before every day.

how does your boss not notice this? My 10 employees can't fart without me finding out.

My boss is out the door, for the past couple of months he's been looking for a better job and finally got one. His last day is very-very soon, so he could care less at this moment.

Voodoo Chick
12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, if he's a good guy, I'd say, even though this is probably not the best advice to give, look the other way. The guy lost his child, and is going through grief and sorrow that is probably indescribable. The last thing in the world he needs right now is more stuff to cope with. That would be a potentially suicide-inducing thing for someone, I think.

pOrk
12-18-2008, 06:38 PM
^ So letting him get hurt while drunk at work is the solution?

Anyone that goes to work drunk has serious problems.

OxmanWI
12-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I’ve tried talking to him in the past, giving him comfort and keeping him in my prayers. I have deiced to do nothing and leave it in Gods hands. Bob is not effecting my job or life so I’m gong to let it go. On top of that I’m getting deployed to the sand box in January so by the time I get back he will most likely not be there. I really wish I wouldn’t had started this thread, but was wondering what the crew thought of the matter, thanks for the advice guys!

Cjburn
12-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Better let someone know about what's going on. Imagine if Bob came in drunk one morning, you didn't say anything, and he goes off and hurts himself or (god forbid) someone else really bad. That would kill me, I don't know about you, but dangerous behavior at work shouldn't be tolerated.

Voodoo Chick
12-19-2008, 01:23 AM
^ So letting him get hurt while drunk at work is the solution?

Anyone that goes to work drunk has serious problems.

That's not what I meant. AT ALL. I meant that adding any more grief to this guy's life might be too much for him. Talking to him, helping him, fine, but getting him in trouble -or worse yet- fired, might be the last straw, and could push him over the edge. Obviously he has serious problems, who wouldn't after the death of their child????