PDA

View Full Version : Verizon wifi phones?

Rocket Power
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Are there any Verizon phones that have wifi that I won't have to pay for their data plan? It's going to be a bit yet but I want to have wifi on my next phone , and I love the coverage of verizon so I'd prefer not to switch carriers

MoCkiN U
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
All of our newest data devices are carrying wifi on them BUT all of the newest wifi data devices will "require" the data plan. The thing with verizon is that they dont need the wifi backup to carry the data speeds that other carriers promote and utilize wifi as a backbone.

The public begged for wifi devices for a long time but never bought the data plans so verizon is launching the feature as available but are programming the plan codes to require the data and not be removeable.

As it sits right now out HTC 6800 has wifi on it and doesnt require the data plan but the phone is a year old now and slow as balls

P.S. Samsung Omnia is a new data device, probably the best one we have ever had. Even over the storm and its new updates
-remote desktop (yes like gotomypc.com but on your phone)
-8gb internal memory. 16gb micro card ready
-5mp camera
-smart reader (take picture of text and phone will auto populate in doc)
-customizable desktop w samsung widgets

Rocket Power
12-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Do I read the website right that the data plans is like $49 on top of my regular bill?

Rocket Power
12-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Because if it's that much more, that's a deal killer. I just want it for if I'm bored and sitting someplace that has wifi. I don't need it

MoCkiN U
12-15-2008, 10:26 PM
at minimum $24.00 at max $44.99. I gotta look at the limits up the $24 one as I havent sold in long time.

wrath
12-15-2008, 10:34 PM
We have a Tmobil hotspot phone. It locks up if you don't hard reboot it daily. But the voice quality is better than anything else when using 802.11g. The rest of the time it's comparable to ATT.

It's like $50/month total.

subliminal1284
12-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Wifi is a feature of the phone, not a service of the company. A wifi enabled phone will work on any wireless network.

Rocket Power
12-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Wifi is a feature of the phone, not a service of the company. A wifi enabled phone will work on any wireless network.

I understand that. The issue is they won't give you the phone without signing up for their data plan

ND4SPD
12-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, buy an XV6700 or XV6800 off eBay... both have wifi. The advantages to those two phones is that there is a lot of homebrew support for them. Meaning you can flash your own custom ROMs to them. For example you can flash the XV6800 so the internal GPS will work with software other than the VZ navigator. But, it probably won't work if you have data locked out because it needs to go to the VZW servers for information.