PDA

View Full Version : This is some bullsh*t

Rocket Power
12-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Blaming dogs instead of the owners. Now West Allis want to ban PitBulls and dogs that have at least 50% Pit Bull or have features that are recognized as pit Bull like. (this includes Am Staf terriers too)
Guess all the real business in Stallis is taken care of.
Thank god they are protecting me from this non-existent problem.
Is there a lot of dog fighting in Stallis or Pit Bull attacks?
Maybe we should start banning cars because of drunk driving.
Every Pit or Am Staf I have ever been in contact with has been the nicest possible dog. So because some people raise/train them poorly the entire breed gets a bad rap. The same thing they did to Doberman's in years past and Rotts and any big dog.
http://www.ci.west-allis.wi.us/dlibrary/insite/detailreport/Reports/Temp/1292008233210.pdf

That_Guy
12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
yeah there is no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners.. we use to have Akita's "2 of them" they very possessive over there owners and there space. one of the best dogs we have ever had. wouldn't let the ups man or anybody else out of there car until he could see one of his owners. they don't bark they just growl. both of them completely loving like labs.. its all about knowing how to handle the breed.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/American_akita.jpg

The Akita today is a unique combination of dignity, courage, alertness, and devotion to its family. It is extraordinarily affectionate and loyal with family and friends, territorial about its property, and can be reserved with strangers. It is feline in its actions; it is not unusual for an Akita to clean its face after eating, to preen its kennel mate, and to be fastidious in the house.

Because it is a large, powerful dog, the Akita is certainly not a breed for everyone. Their background gives them a strong independent streak that can make Akitas unreliable off-lead and more challenging in obedience activities. The Akita thrives on the love and respect of its master and, with constant reinforcement training and a little creativity, can be a very good worker.

The Akita was never bred to live or work in groups like many hound and sporting breeds. Instead, they lived and worked singly or in pairs, a preference reflected today. Akitas tend to take a socially dominant role with other dogs, and thus caution must be used in situations when Akitas are likely to be around other dogs, especially unfamiliar ones. In particular, Akitas tend to be less tolerant of dogs of the same sex. For this reason, Akitas are not generally well-suited for off-lead dog parks. Akitas also exhibit strong prey drive and must be taught to respect other household pets.

There are many pluses to owning an Akita. They are affectionate to their owners and are excellent watchdogs, although they do not bark unless something is amiss. They are extremely clean animals and generally easy to housebreak. They require only moderate exercise, adjust well to most living arrangements as long as they receive daily walks, do not eat large quantities of food, and are long-lived.

nismodave
12-14-2008, 09:54 PM
BS...Pits are an aggressive breed.

I knew a chick that owned a pit and said she was calm and obedient. Until one day the dog went nuts and almost bit her face off.

I think they dont need to be around.

Lash
12-14-2008, 09:59 PM

:thumbsup

-stew-
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM

I knew a chick that owned a pit and said she was calm and obedient. Until one day the dog went nuts and almost bit her face off.

Agreed.

Rocket Power
12-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Any dog can snap. It's not breed specific. Some dogs get more headlines

That_Guy
12-14-2008, 10:23 PM

to be honest with you id feel safer around a pitbull than an akita.. if it wasnt mine.

-stew-
12-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Any dog can snap. It's not breed specific. Some dogs get more headlines

"Its not breed specific" BS. They got the rep for a reason.

"Ford doesn't build shitty cars, they just break down a lot."

That_Guy
12-14-2008, 10:29 PM
:rolleyes:

nismodave
12-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Rocket Power
12-14-2008, 10:32 PM

Just like Doberman's were so terrible back in the 80's and 90's now no one talks about them.

-stew-
12-14-2008, 10:34 PM
:rolleyes:

Prove me wrong.

Rocket Power
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Hmm, dogbitelaw.com, a website done by an atty, who I am sure doesn't sue over dog bites.
May as well look for positive Bush news in Rolling Stone:rolf

Rocket Power
12-14-2008, 10:36 PM
How many dog bites by other breeds don't get reported every year?

Rocket Power
12-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I thought I had wrote it in the beginning but after reading I guess I didn't.
I don't have a problem with going after specificdogs/owners that have been or are a problem. As in has bit someone, gets off it's leash all the time, has actually been some sort of problem. But I am Against banning by breed, no matter what the breed ,even those annoying little yappy dogs that never shut up, and always seem to want to bite you:goof

nismodave
12-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Find a stat that shows me that they are no more dangerous than other dogs.

-stew-
12-14-2008, 10:47 PM
How many dog bites by other breeds don't get reported every year?

It's not about a bite. All dogs bite. Be they defending their home and master from an intruder or a child pulling the dogs ear. Shitty, but it does happen with all breeds. It's about vicious, unprovoked attacks that kill and maim.

DynoTom
12-14-2008, 10:52 PM
My friend is a animal control officer and he says he spends most of his day catching loose pit bulls from Milwaukee....I do think pits are prone to attack more than more than other breeds.

I got 4 living across street from me and so far they seem pretty non aggressive , my Great Dane has no problem scaring them away when they get loose ( from the fuggin stupid azz owners not watching them ) and wonder in my yard...If they EVER do attack my Dog in my yard they will meet my Mossberg 590 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot though !

That_Guy
12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
My friend is a animal control officer and he says he spends most of his day catching loose pit bulls from Milwaukee....I do think pits are prone to attack more than more than other breeds.

I got 4 living across street from me and so far they seem pretty non aggressive , my Great Dane has no problem scaring them away when they get loose ( from the fuggin stupid azz owners not watching them ) and wonder in my yard...If they EVER do attack my Dog in my yard they will meet my Mossberg 590 and the 00 buckshot though !

ty

DynoTom
12-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Yep, the owners have A LOT to do with it !

I have seen them let the dogs out and when the dog would not come back inside when called they give up and close to door to leave them wander as the please.....

A couple months ago I was installing a door acuator in my nieces Explorer at her house and my Great Dane pulled out the tie out cable from the house and got away ( without any of us knowing right away ) for about 15 minutes , I was TOTALLY freaked out and was really scared she was lost or was going to be hit by a car , we found her OK and she did not go far ! I can't imagine just letting my dog roam around on purpose like those dipsheets across the street from me do !

lordairgtar
12-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I got a Jack Russel that will straight up bite you in the nutz. But anyway, every Pit I've come across have been slobbery kissing love puppies.

-stew-
12-14-2008, 11:49 PM
every Pit I've come across have been slobbery kissing love puppies.

They all are. Until it goes nuts. This is the point in the conversation we cue the clip of the 24 year old white girl in the soggy-ass dingy Hyper-color shirt, with red eyes, crying, smoking a Marb Light talking about how great Pepe the Pitbull was. Until it went nuts and killed her baby.

1BadBytch
12-15-2008, 12:19 AM

:rolf:rolf

anyway, i had 3 pits. they were the best damn dogs i ever had. they were very protective but they never hurt anybody.

however, i did know a couple people that raised theyre dogs to be mean and vicious or to be fighting dogs.

IMO, i think its how ppl raise the dog to be .. not the breed in general

Voodoo Chick
12-15-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm really unsure about where I stand on this. My mother-in-law's best friend is a dog-breeder, and has said that certain personality traits such as aggressiveness, can be very breed-specific. It is true that the owner has alot to do with how the animal behaves, but I guess I believe that certain breeds might have more of a propensity for violence, or at least potential violence. I am a big fan of border collies, myself. They are friendly, intelligent, and beautiful, and I had one many moons ago. Pit bulls, rottweilers, and their type I just avoid.

subliminal1284
12-15-2008, 01:35 AM
All dogs are prone to snapping and attacking, The meanest dog I have ever seen was my friends little Dachshund. That dog nobody could even look at him without him growling and if you got too close he would try to snap at you. I got bit by him several times.

WhatsADSM
12-15-2008, 02:04 AM
^
Yea I think its that many of the smaller breed do bite... But I mean honestly a mini poodle or whatever really isn't going to do much of anything. So it is a little more accepted if one does snap.

However if a Rott was to bite my arm, I probably wouldn't have much of it left. If you have a large dog and it bites, in most cases it is suggested you put it down. Sad, but unfortunately true.

Our current GSD is a lover, especially of people. Only way I could ever see her actually biting a human is if someone was forceful in hurting the family or forcefully came in the house. However my wife used to have a large male GSD that bit once or twice and unfortunately that was it for him... You really can't have a 100lb dog that bites, the risks just outweigh everything. On the bright side that is how the aggression gets bred OUT of the breed.

Voodoo Chick
12-15-2008, 03:16 AM
My friend had a German Shepherd that had tendencies to attack, and he was 135 lbs. I was terrified of him, seeing as he outweighs me by over 10 lbs. and whenever she let him out of his cage to let him outside while I was there, I just sat perfectly still. That dog was truly frightening. Sometimes he'd just sit in the back of his kennel and growl, real quiet. SCARY sh*t.

Al
12-15-2008, 04:24 AM
I thinking that the ordinance should be extended to all dogs above a certain weight. Pitbulls, Shepherds, Dobermans...they can all turn around on you. Go back far enough in their lineages and you have a wolf; it's in their genes!

Having a big dog is in-style these days and very few can actually handle them. People are also afraid to discipline their dogs and train them properly because of 'animal rights.'

As far as i can tell, 50% of the people I know cannot handle their dogs.

BTW- down here in the Third Ward, there has been a series of dog-attacks-dog cases. Almost all of them are due to pitbulls and one malamute. In my apartment building, about 5 people have had this happen to their dogs. There has been one death, a miniture daschund.

That_Guy
12-15-2008, 07:59 AM
My friend had a German Shepherd that had tendencies to attack, and he was 135 lbs. I was terrified of him, seeing as he outweighs me by over 10 lbs. and whenever she let him out of his cage to let him outside while I was there, I just sat perfectly still. That dog was truly frightening. Sometimes he'd just sit in the back of his kennel and growl, real quiet. SCARY sh*t.

this chick i was friends with had a bull terrier that was the same way except for the fact that it didnt way 135lbs
http://images.champdogs.co.uk/images/miniature-bull-terrier.jpg

Voodoo Chick
12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
this chick i was friends with had a bull terrier that was the same way except for the fact that it didnt way 135lbs

That's a scary-looking breed, too, lol!! Has a very shark-like face! I think I'll just stick to cats......although they can be vicious and maul their keepers, too.......damn, this is a no-win!! Next time I'm just getting some ******* goldfish!!

-stew-
12-15-2008, 01:27 PM
That's a scary-looking breed, too, lol!! Has a very shark-like face! I think I'll just stick to cats......although they can be vicious and maul their keepers, too.......damn, this is a no-win!! Next time I'm just getting some ******* goldfish!!

Fish tank FTW!!!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/stewsquarenuts/102_0362.jpg

SlowStee
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Fish tank FTW!!!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/stewsquarenuts/102_0362.jpg

Holy ******* LAME.

PureSound15
12-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Bah - I don't know how I feel about this either. I know a lot of pitbulls that are absolute sweethearts. I'm a dog lover and always will be but I think that ignoring the characteristics of the breed is insane. Let's look at the physical characteristic... the ability to LOCK THE JAW (The same reason that a good friend of mine had to stab his dog to get him to let go of his wifes leg which the dog had mistaken as a toy that had been thrown).

It's a dangerous breed - I'd take one in if it were stray and sweet, but I wouldn't ever say that pits just happen to be reported more. I would agree that many dogs run wild and act the way they do because their owner either doesn't command respect or in some cases think it's funny or cute.

97z2801ss
12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
my neighbor had a dog that bit everytime u came by it I hated that little thing when I was a child it bit my sister knee cap too then the owner punted it across the yard hahaha

My grandparents have 3 dobermans and their good spoiled dogs, I have a black lab and my son pulls its ears and jumps on it and pulls its tail now and then and he just looks at him and walks away though hes like 9 years old.
My grandmothers sister got her knee cap bit off by a pitbull and now shes in a wheel chair, Im sure some of you herd the story or were at the fundraiser at lions park with all the bikers for her. I think those dogs are vicious also a guy i work with had one and it attacked his little sister.

DirtyMax
12-15-2008, 02:42 PM
The neighbors behind us got a pit bull puppy a few months ago. Right now, the dog is still a cute little wimp but they are pretty mean to it (hitting it, leaving it outside all night, etc.) and I've already seen it be aggressive with their other dog (Pomeranian type thing). I'm sure one day it will just have it for a snack. I just hope the fence between our yards holds up... and the dog hopes so too he just doesn't know it yet.

lordairgtar
12-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Spuds macKenzie!!!

lordairgtar
12-15-2008, 06:34 PM
The neighbors behind us got a pit bull puppy a few months ago. Right now, the dog is still a cute little wimp but they are pretty mean to it (hitting it, leaving it outside all night, etc.) and I've already seen it be aggressive with their other dog (Pomeranian type thing). I'm sure one day it will just have it for a snack. I just hope the fence between our yards holds up... and the dog hopes so too he just doesn't know it yet.
I would sneak that dog away and take it to someone who would love it.

SSDude
12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
West Allis may target vicious dogs
By Tom Kertscher of the Journal Sentinel

Dec. 15, 2008 11:40 a.m. | A proposed ban on pit bulls in West Allis, which was approved 9-0 by aldermen but vetoed last week by Mayor Dan Devine, could be replaced by an ordinance that is aimed at vicious dogs of any type.

Devine said today he believes the aldermen will not override his veto when they meet Tuesday and will instead replace the ban with some form of the new proposal, which does not single out a type of dog.

The Wisconsin Humane Society says it supports ordinances that target the behavior of a dog or its owner, rather than a type or breed of dog.

But South Milwaukee Mayor Thomas Zepecki says his city's nearly 20-year-old ban on pit bulls has made South Milwaukee safer.

Devine said he has received more than 100 e-mails and calls about the ordinance he vetoed, nearly all voicing opposition to a pit bull ban.

Sounds like the new mayor has a better idea.

Rocket Power
12-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Devine said he has received more than 100 e-mails and calls about the ordinance he vetoed, nearly all voicing opposition to a pit bull ban.

Sounds like the new mayor has a better idea.
One was mine:D

OxmanWI
12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
I had a friend growing up, his family loved the Pit Bull breed. They are a loving family and took great care of there pets, but the Pits always seemed to be very aggressive, temperamental and wild. I'm not a dog expert, but based on feel and observing the animal for some years now I would never trust that breed with the safety of my family.

Mr. Brett
12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
It's a combination of shitty owners and dogs that are naturally aggressive. I don't necessarily agree with a law outright banning them, but on the other hand, it's probably a good idea. All pit bull owners are not pieces of shit, but if a piece of shit owns a dog, chances are it's a pit bull.

-stew-
12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
It's a combination of shitty owners and dogs that are naturally aggressive. I don't necessarily agree with a law outright banning them, but on the other hand, it's probably a good idea. All pit bull owners are not pieces of shit, but if a piece of shit owns a dog, chances are it's a pit bull.

Good poast Mr. Belling, er, uh I mean Mr. Brett.

Nix
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I like Pugs, I want one...

Rocket Power
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
So when do we start banning bars because drunk drivers kill people?

pOrk
12-16-2008, 12:55 PM

:thumbsup

a Pitbull is a Breed, not a lisc to kill. Banning a breed of dog is just giving local government MORE control then they already have or need. Pretty soon we wont be allowed to buy goldfish cause one time it was reported that one grew over 300 lbs and eat babys once a week. Lets see factual proof, not statistics.

-stew-
12-16-2008, 12:57 PM

20 January 2009

Mr. Brett
12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Good poast Mr. Belling, er, uh I mean Mr. Brett.

He actually used the word "louse" but yeah, Belling discussed this yesterday. He was absolutely correct.

Russ Jerome
12-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Fourteen short years ago, my wife and I actually paid money for our Rotweiller/Pitbull mix. He was lovable, protective and the world's greatest dog. (okay, so we will gloss over the fact that he would pull the garbage can from the kitchen into the living room and spread it out like a Chinese buffet) He was gentle and a great companion to our kids, ages back then 9,8,5 and 3. He was also very patient and friendly to all of the cats we have had and the neighborhood dogs, squirrels, ect.

We said farewell to Harley on Saturday..............................one of the hardest things we have ever done.

That being said, we were very lucky that we found Harley and that he was such a good dog, but we also knew what kind of breed he was and worked really hard to socialize, teach and train him. The only way I would own a Pit Bull today, is to research and buy from a reputable breeder. One who breeds not for aggressiveness and mean temperament, but for loyalty, friendliness and intelligence. They ARE out there.

It is unfortunate that a dog breed that once was the most popular family dog of the beginning of the 20th century has now been vilified and made public enemy number one all due to overbreeding, abuse, neglect and idiot owners who are incapable or unwilling to provide responsible ownership.

Judge on an individual basis, not as a group.