PDA

View Full Version : warranty question

Yamahachick02
12-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know if I change my exhaust on my new 2008 Jeep wrangler if it will affect any part of my warrenty?

1BadBytch
12-15-2008, 12:44 AM
im pretty sure it would. you should probably call your dealership and inquire about it to be sure.

GTSLOW
12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Pretty sure it would void the warranty on the exhaust. However if it's a simple bolt on setup if you ever needed any warranty word done underneath just have someone swap it.

Breecher_7
12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Cat Back exhaust system will not affect warranty. You wont have warranty issues till you start messing with emissions shit. They could care less about a bolt on exhaust.

Reverend Cooper
12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
get dealer installed mopar shit it will be covered then for sure

Yamahachick02
12-15-2008, 08:05 PM
get dealer installed mopar shit it will be covered then for sure

The thing is, it has a manual trans and I like to hear when I need to shift. I don't want to go with factory or mopar because it isn't loud enough. Well that and loud exhaust is just better.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
The thing is, it has a manual trans and I like to hear when I need to shift. I don't want to go with factory or mopar because it isn't loud enough. Well that and loud exhaust is just better.

It should sound better than Kenny's truck, hahaha

Reverend Cooper
12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
yeah but dont they have some mopar race shit that would be louder,my trd exhaust is considerably louder on the FJ than the factory stuff

Waver
12-16-2008, 12:20 AM
a catback shouldnt void it....Id go with a flowmaster or somthing and save the old shit incase you need to go in for any exhaust related problems.....Some warrenties only void the part of the system that is changed.......like if your exhaust corodes prematurly and it was caused by you installing the cat back, then that part oof the warrenty is void......There is also an act called the mangussen moss act (i think that is the correct act name).......there was a nice article that explains this in muscle mustangs and fast fords.....you might still be able to read it on their web site or via the internet (there have been several things posted up in different forums about this)

Moparjim
12-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Does not void the warranty unless they can prove it caused the issue, which will be tough with a cat back lol. There are several Federal laws on this now, as others mentioned. They also cannot void your warranty for using aftermarket parts that they do not cover - so brakes, exhaust, belts, hoses, etc. anything that they claim are "wear" items and do not cover will not void your lifetime powertrain warranty.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-17-2008, 01:31 PM
i will play devil's advocate for a bit. lets say that you lose an 02 sensor or a maf sensor, or an intake gasket takes a crap. those will throw "lean codes" in the pcm. if the dealer wanted to be hard, they could claim that changing the exhaust somehow messed with it and they may make you install the factory exhaust. like said earlier, it would be a stretch for a cat-back system, but if you piss off the service dept in any way, they could make an issue with it. from my experience with ford, the first thing they ask s wether the vehicle is in total stock form. if you say no, they practically hang up the phone on you, LOL. with the way these new cars are set up and the PCM controling everything, it is pretty easy for the manufacturer to show a relation between you mod and the problem just by looking at the DTCs.

best thing in my opinion to do would be to pay your dealer a half hour of labor to install it and have them put right on your reciept that it will not void any warranty. if you have a good relationship with your dealer, then you probably wouldn't even have to do that,but it would be worth it IMO.

brotherbenn83
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM
i will play devil's advocate for a bit. lets say that you lose an 02 sensor or a maf sensor, or an intake gasket takes a crap. those will throw "lean codes" in the pcm. if the dealer wanted to be hard, they could claim that changing the exhaust somehow messed with it and they may make you install the factory exhaust. like said earlier, it would be a stretch for a cat-back system, but if you piss off the service dept in any way, they could make an issue with it. from my experience with ford, the first thing they ask s wether the vehicle is in total stock form. if you say no, they practically hang up the phone on you, LOL. with the way these new cars are set up and the PCM controling everything, it is pretty easy for the manufacturer to show a relation between you mod and the problem just by looking at the DTCs.

best thing in my opinion to do would be to pay your dealer a half hour of labor to install it and have them put right on your reciept that it will not void any warranty. if you have a good relationship with your dealer, then you probably wouldn't even have to do that,but it would be worth it IMO.

pretty girls don't have this problem, only dirty old men