PDA

View Full Version : Insurance questions (totalled my sled)

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Well I totalled my sled this last weekend. haven't got a chance to call my agent yet, but will first thing in the morning. I am wondering, what will they use to determine value?? retail?? trade in?? also, how long does it usually take? I want a new sled by this next weekend and would prefer to not have to buy one and wait for the money from the insurance company. and finally, how do they figure the "buy-back" price. i would be interested in buying it back, but how do they come up with that number and is that negotiable. some say that you can really haggle with them on the number that they come back with, is this true? thanks in advance!

Cryptic
12-14-2008, 01:45 PM
smooth move...

SSDude
12-14-2008, 01:53 PM
All the things you mentioned could depend on what insurance company you have.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2008, 01:58 PM
All the things you mentioned could depend on what insurance company you have.

i have american family insurance.

Lash
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I seriously doubt they'll have it taken care of by next weekend. 2 weeks at least if you're lucky.

DirtyMax
12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Am Fam was good to me on a claim for our totaled RV but I would bet that there's no way in hell that this claim settles in time for you to have the insurance check in order to buy a sled for next weekend. My claim from start to finish from the first phone call to getting the check in the mail took several weeks and I really had all of my ducks in a row.

If I recall right, AmFam uses nadaguides.com and will probably give you the value that it returns for "Average Retail" less your deductible. That's what they did for me to the penny.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
I seriously doubt they'll have it taken care of by next weekend. 2 weeks at least if you're lucky.

that sucks. i have never filed a claim before.

will this snomobile accident make my car insurance go up??? if so, i would have major second thoughts about claiming this accident.

Sprayaway Fox
12-14-2008, 02:07 PM
WTF! Eric, gimme a call. U okay?

If you got aftermarket stuff on it take it off! They dont give you extra for those things.

SSDude
12-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Your screwed.

Not really but you better do your homework on what that sled is worth or what it will cost you to replace it with a comparable one. Having that info in hand will show them that you know what its worth and won't be fooled with some low ball settlement.

They dicked me around a few years back over a very clean M/C SS. Fortunately i had it appraised within the last year and the comparable's for sale supported my value. After a month they finally settled.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Your screwed.

Not really but you better do your homework on what that sled is worth or what it will cost you to replace it with a comparable one. Having that info in hand will show them that you know what its worth and won't be fooled with some low ball settlement.

They dicked me around a few years back over a very clean M/C SS. Fortunately i had it appraised within the last year and the comparable's for sale supported my value. After a month they finally settled.

well kelly blue book says that the retail value is $6800 and the trade in value is $4600. hopefully they at least average them out. a new one would cost, well, $9300, and that is at an invoice deal. i have a pretty good relationship with my agent. i have everything insured under them and have never had a claim, i hope that helps.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Am Fam was good to me on a claim for our totaled RV but I would bet that there's no way in hell that this claim settles in time for you to have the insurance check in order to buy a sled for next weekend. My claim from start to finish from the first phone call to getting the check in the mail took several weeks and I really had all of my ducks in a row.

If I recall right, AmFam uses nadaguides.com and will probably give you the value that it returns for "Average Retail" less your deductible. That's what they did for me to the penny.

at least it is warm :thumbsup i feel a lot better watching the snow melt outside. if for some reason we get snow, which i am not predicting, and they open the trails next weekend, i will jsut purchase the new sled with cash and work out the details later.

good to hear the amfam was fair to you. i will check out nadaguides. thanks :thumbsup

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Snowmobile
Model: F8 EFI SP
Engine Maker: SUZUKI
Piston Displacement (CCs): 794
Length with skis (inches): 1220

Dry Weight: 500

PRICING

Low Retail Average Retail
$5,890 $7,750
Options
Reverse $90 $120
TOTAL PRICE $5,980 $7,870

Suggested List: $10,299

i hope they use NADA. would be happy to see $5890 and even happier to see closer to $7870.

SSDude
12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Now see if you can dig up some used sled prices for comparison.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/rvs/939940584.html 2007 $5999

Used Arctic Cat F1000 LXR, F8 LXR, F8 (Kaukauna, WI - Dealer)
Four F models to choose from, CALL STEVE for details 920-788-0220 ASK FOR STEVE
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/rvs/951301255.html

Crawlin
12-14-2008, 03:49 PM
they'll give you trade in more than likely as a first offer. Most of the times it's negotionable if you can show them what an exact model, exact # of hour replacement would cost. Will they give you ALL of it? Probably not unless you are willing to sit and **** around week after week. If you want to settle fast, then you will probably be taking less than you could have gotten. That's a choice you'd have to make

Ricky Bobby
12-14-2008, 04:17 PM
with my agent all my claims have been solved within 3 or 4 days check in hand except for the one were the towin company lost my car and am fam couldnt find it lol :punch:

GRNDNL
12-14-2008, 05:07 PM
If it works like Auto Insurance you should get full retail minus your deductible, make sure to ask for the sales tax also.

SmokinRAM114
12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
dang whered u do it?? are group had 17 and we only had 1 break down. and that was before a group of 5 of us got bored and started chasing power lines.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
dang whered u do it?? are group had 17 and we only had 1 break down. and that was before a group of 5 of us got bored and started chasing power lines.

a few miles from the hoop. on our way to bergland. to be really exact, at the intersection going to the doo dealer in bergland :)

Reverend Cooper
12-14-2008, 05:56 PM
glade your ok man.

JC70SS
12-15-2008, 08:41 AM
glad your ok.

Time for that CF 1000R

They may repair it...you would be suprised.

That_Guy
12-15-2008, 09:03 AM
if thats the case ^ then pm me

07ROUSHSTG3
12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
glad your ok.

Time for that CF 1000R

They may repair it...you would be suprised.

i will get another f series whatever i get. right now it is between an 08 f1000 or an 09 f8. i love the twin spar chassis too much to give it up for a revised firecat :goof

and i would be shocked if they repair it. my buddy who is doing the estimate assures me that they will total it. 16 hours of labor plus parts just to replace the tunnel. then add the $500 in plastic, cost of the estimate and odds and ends. i wouldn't shed a tear if they fix it. in fact I would be happy. i was really hoping to get another year out of this sled and buying a new one next year after the studs are shot and the skis are worn.

JC70SS
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
my buddy last year slid down a hill and hit a post on his Z1. $5500 damage. They repaired it.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
my buddy last year slid down a hill and hit a post on his Z1. $5500 damage. They repaired it.

well that sled had a much higher msrp than mine and was at least 1 year newer than mine at the time of the accident if it happened last year:). really it makes no difference to me. if they fix it, it costs me my deductible and i get to ride one more season on a machine that i love. if they total it i will be spending $9300 on a new sled a little earlier than planned. either way i will be ok with their decision.

got the call a bit ago from the dealership. $4800 in total damage :wooo. there was some damage to the can and the pipe from the hit that i couldn't see because of the broken plastic. i would crap myself if they repair this thing. the adjuster or whatever you call them is going to stop in at the dealership and take a look at it tomorrow. hoping that i find out what they are going to do soon so i can go sign papers and pick up the new one, or so they can get the parts ordered and i can get the thing fixed. my agent said that it shouldn't take more than a few days. he said that they will come back with a number if it is totalled that i will have a chance to "negotiate" a little bit. he then said that after agreeing on that number that they will give me the chance to buy it back. he said that price is a bit more negotiable. pretty sure that i am going to buy it back regardless if i buy a new one or not. i have had quite a few people offer me money for it the way it sits. i may even just keep it for my "up north" sled. perfect sled to keep up in the garage at the cabin. just replace the plastic, buy a cheap aftermarket can and pipe and bend the tunnel back. it is just frustrating having to wait not having any idea what they are going to do :crying

07ROUSHSTG3
12-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Well........i just crapped myself. they are fixing it.

complete new bulkhead and tunnel, hood, right side plastics, can, pipe, and windshield. the insurance guy was cool as hell. he said that they valued the sled at "well over $7000". he is going back to midcities tomorrow and already dropping off the check. he said that when it is done to make sure that it meets my standards before picking it up. parts will hopefully be in by monday, so i should lose too much sledding. hope to have it back by next weekend.

it is probably better this way. don't have to buy a new sled that is pretty much the same as this one. this will give me one more season to decide.

SSDude
12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow
Hope you don't have any more claims anytime soon. If you have a couple in a short time they'll cut you loose.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow
Hope you don't have any more claims anytime soon. If you have a couple in a short time they'll cut you loose.

yeah. i am very shocked that they are paying for this, but i really wonder what value they figured my sled for. the trade in value according to kbb was like $4600??? it would be pretty hard for my agent to cut me loose. i carry full insurance on 2 houses, 3 cars, a snowmobile and a 4 wheeler. my wife also has a small life insurance policy through them.

i just wonder what my snowmobile insurance is going to be like now :rolleyes:

DirtyMax
12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow

No shit! They paid out $8K on our RV this summer after having it and skull fuct me on my renweal a few months later. First claim ever in 10 years with them. BS!!! :flipoff2: