PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye C.C.

JC70SS
12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
MLB seriously needs a salary cap. No human is worth 160M period. I can't wait until that team fails again.

Karps TA
12-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Sucks, but can't blame a guy for taking $30 more million. I think had the difference been a couple mil, the Brewers had a chance. But you'd have to be stupid to turn down that kinda coin. Especially in baseball where the contracts are guarenteed.

GTSLOW
12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
160m for how many years?

97z2801ss
12-10-2008, 10:50 AM
An opt-out clause proved key in CC Sabathia agreeing to a seven-year, $161 million deal to pitch for the Yankees, over 7 years.

97z2801ss
12-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Rediculous Joe is right no human is worth anyware near that.

Karps TA
12-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Apparently he is worth that much since that's what's he's getting paid. Good for him I say.

DirtyMax
12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Too bad the Yankee fans are so disloyal. The first time he gives up a run. he'll be booed off the mound!

Hell, they booed A-ROD when he was hitting like .300 with 40 HR's... beats any player we have....

Smokey1226
12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
MLB seriously needs a salary cap.
NUff said. That is the exact reason i have given up on baseball. You put a salary cap in place, and the yankees dwindle away, as well as the mets. Red soxs have good talent so i think they would do just fine. But then that makes one helluva playoff race!

Nix
12-10-2008, 12:17 PM
NUff said. That is the exact reason i have given up on baseball. You put a salary cap in place, and the yankees dwindle away, as well as the mets. Red soxs have good talent so i think they would do just fine. But then that makes one helluva playoff race!

All those ass hat teams disappered on their own salary cap or not this past season. Having unlimited funds does not mean you always win every time.

I however do agree, it is pretty sad that those temas have so much cash to burn but it just makes it that much sweeter when they loose knowing how much money they have wasted. Similar to the Cubs, 300 million pay roll and they always choke no matter what, year after year it holds true. :rolf

badvenom
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
yankees rule !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wikked
12-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I can blame a guy for taking 30mil more... really, what do you even need 130mil for?

I'd play for the league minimum (~$550k/yr ) just to be able to play :/

Car Guy
12-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Wow did I predict this one, and right down to the amount per year.....:stare

Smokey1226
12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
All those ass hat teams disappered on their own salary cap or not this past season. Having unlimited funds does not mean you always win every time.

I however do agree, it is pretty sad that those temas have so much cash to burn but it just makes it that much sweeter when they loose knowing how much money they have wasted. Similar to the Cubs, 300 million pay roll and they always choke no matter what, year after year it holds true. :rolf
i totally agree, however think about how much more intrest there would be in baseball when you have 3/4 of the teams all have quailty talent instead of 5 teams having so called "star" players and the rest have to hope their up in comers have talent. We are so lucky to have a quailty farm system. If we didnt.........no more brewers.

If it did happen though Ratings would go up, filling the seats in towns that normally dont sell out because there would be atleast one "star" player on every team or close to it.

WTF is Selig thinking not making it happen?

Karps TA
12-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Salary cap doesn't mean every team would be competitive. NBA has a cap, and the Bucks have sucked Ass for a decade. The crap teams will always stay crappy. That's an internal issue more then a money issue IMO.

DirtyMax
12-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Look what those big ass payrolls have gotten the Cubs and Yankees lately? Crap.

Too many supersatars on the same team just doesn't seem to work.

The Rays had one of the lowest payrolls in baseball (29th out of 30 teams) and they made a mockery of the Sox and Yanks the entire last season and played in the world series. Before that, most people probably couldn't name 3 players on that team unless you were a Rays fan to begin with.

The Phils and Brewers were both mid-level payrolls and they had good runs too.

jbiscuit
12-10-2008, 02:20 PM
that salary is epic.

That_Guy
12-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow did I predict this one, and right down to the amount per year.....:stare
no kidding who didnt see this one coming

Car Guy
12-10-2008, 02:40 PM
There were many that said I was crazy.....:durr

Lash
12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Fvck C.C. and his Yankees. I though he was better than that.....guess I was wrong.

The Yankees now have 4 player with contracts over $100 million.

12 Jason Giambi NYY 7 yrs ('02-08) $120,000,000
3 Derek Jeter NYY 10 years ('01-10) $189,000,000
1 A. Rodriguez NYY 10 yrs ('08-17) $275,000,000

and now C.C.

MLB top salaries for '08:

1 Alex Rodriguez NYY $28,000,000
2 Jason Giambi NYY $23,428,571
3 Derek Jeter NYY $21,600,000

PB86MCSS
12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Look what those big ass payrolls have gotten the Cubs and Yankees lately? Crap.

Too many supersatars on the same team just doesn't seem to work.

The Rays had one of the lowest payrolls in baseball (29th out of 30 teams) and they made a mockery of the Sox and Yanks the entire last season and played in the world series. Before that, most people probably couldn't name 3 players on that team unless you were a Rays fan to begin with.

The Phils and Brewers were both mid-level payrolls and they had good runs too.

I agree. Having money doesn't mean you make smart decisions....it definately helps but throwing money at players doesn't gaurantee anything. As said, there is a cap in the NBA but it doesn't mean much. And in baseball there is no cap yet small market teams make the playoffs time and time again.

There was no way the Brewers had a chance, if the Yankees want him they will "overpay" or outbid the Brewers by 20-30 million for a guy like CC. Its too bad this is the first year the Yankees have been willing to get a big pitcher, they were conservative in free agency, somewhat, in the last couple years compared to what they used to be. Hopefully they can re-make the pitching staff, Melvin has made great moves since being GM except for the Suppan signing. If they did keep CC it would of handcuffed them for the contracts length. And CC was going to get an opt out clause from whoever he signed with, from what I've read.

* Giambi is gone...he will be signing with the A's or Rays it sounds like...for much less money :D .

Lash
12-10-2008, 04:08 PM
C.C.'s opt out is after 3 years.

wikked
12-10-2008, 06:40 PM
There goes his chance to take some swings at the plate too... *shrug*

PB86MCSS
12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
The players union would of pressured him to take the biggest payday even if he rather not himself...being the biggest name and all and market setting guy.

I think he was waiting and hoping for one of the West coast teams to give a competitive bid but realized none were going to.

70challenger452
12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
It's really sad to see another player head off to new york just because they have more money than the rest of us. But the good news is the Yanks won't be any better than they were last year. They lost mussina who was a 20 game winner. Will CC be a 20 game winner? IDK, I guess we'll see. What I don't understand is how come the yanks need to borrow money to build this new stadium but then they can go out and outbid everybody and throw around money like it's nothing to them. I would not be happy if I was a tax payer in New York.

Lash
12-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Will CC be a 20 game winner?

With that kind of run support....with out a doubt a 20 game winner.

Karps TA
12-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I hope he is. I hope it's the only 20 games they win, but I wish CC nothing but the best. The guy brought alot of excitement to the city for a couple months.

Lash
12-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I'd rather have him go to the Cubs than the spankees.

Jsho13
12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
I'd rather have him go to the Cubs than the spankees.

eh - i would rather not. Nothing but the worst for the cubs.

97z2801ss
12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I hope he is. I hope it's the only 20 games they win, but I wish CC nothing but the best. The guy brought alot of excitement to the city for a couple months.

I agree with you Karp. It was pretty exciting. and made me actully look at baseball for a few months.

70challenger452
12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I hate the cubs with a deep firey passion and wouldn't want anything but the worst to happen to them, but I would pefer any team but the yanks or cubs to aquire CC. I wish him the best but I just thought he was better than going to new york for the money

jbiscuit
12-11-2008, 07:45 AM
I too will wish him well. He is a stand up guy and from what I had been hearing, he wanted to stay here but it came down to getting a contract that he liked. Basically money. Hard to turn down the Yankees deep pockets when they want you to come play for them. He was a real asset to our Brewers lineup this past season. Nothing but good memories now.

Lash
12-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Looks like Mike Camron might be going with him.

wikked
12-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't hate the Cubs at all, they have some decent players.

It's 90% of the fans that ruin it for them.

70challenger452
12-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I hate cubs fans more than any other fan base. I live next to some of the most unrealsonable sports fans I've ever meet, and both are cub/bear fans. You have no idea hoe many times I've heard about zambrano "popping miller parks cherry" with his no-hitter. I just tell them to go win a playoff game.

claimsman
12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
So why did the Brewers lose CC and keep Prince (cant hit a barn) Fielder?

Lash
12-14-2008, 09:37 PM
uhmmmm... MONEY.

They didn't wan't to pay C.C. that much. Really....nobody did except for the 'money grows on trees' Yankees.

PB86MCSS
12-14-2008, 09:37 PM
CC is a free agent so he can command a big contract from any team...Fielder is under team control for awhile, albeit due a large raise this winter.

I dislike the Cubs more than any team, even the Red Sox. The Yankees have fallen to #3. Its the Cubs/Red Sox frat boy/douchebag fan base that just grinds my gears. If you are a fan of those teams but not a frat-boy type d-bag, I apologize, but the majority I've ever encountered are :) .

Lash
12-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah....it's not really the Chicago teams that I hate either. It's pretty much just the douche bag fans.

claimsman
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Seriously we need a border gate at Kenosha that would solve a lot of our Cub Fan problems.