View Full Version : HDMI question

88Nightmare
12-06-2008, 09:33 PM
is HDMI video only or is there also sound through HDMI? Im a newb

Myles
12-06-2008, 09:35 PM
is HDMI video only or is there also sound through HDMI? Im a newb

Just kill yourself right now.

and to answer your question, yes (http://www.google.com).

88Nightmare
12-06-2008, 09:35 PM
always helpful myles, thanks

Myles
12-06-2008, 09:36 PM
please check the post again
i added the answer

88Nightmare
12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
thanks. I really dont know much about this stuff.

pOrk
12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
www.google.com

Myles
12-06-2008, 09:41 PM
www.google.com

if you checked my answer you would realize that your post, like most of your posts, was useless.

Holeshot
12-06-2008, 09:57 PM
HDMI =The very best in audio and video for HDTV and Blu Ray

88Nightmare
12-06-2008, 09:58 PM
well no blu ray player yet, Im still doin dvd's. Reason why I was asking about hdmi was because I have netflix and they have these connection boxes that connect to the internet and you hook it up to your tv and you can watch movies instantly, so I wanted to connect it via hdmi to my lcd tv

GTSLOW
12-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Wait you can run sound thru hdmi????

HITMAN
12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
if you checked my answer you would realize that your post, like most of your posts, was useless.

And your answer, was just as useless. Myles = http://www.emoticonsite.net/images/animals/emoticons_animal_5.gif

88Nightmare and Rubicon, here are the answers you seek.
HDMI Info (http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx)

ND4SPD
12-06-2008, 10:22 PM
HDMI =The very best in audio and video for HDTV and Blu Ray

Not necessarily true. Sometimes the component signals usually provide better quality, BUT... HDMI is Sooooo much easier since it's only one cable.

Holeshot
12-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Well in my case I think it blows away component, S video and optical audio with the set up I currently have.

Myles
12-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Not necessarily true. Sometimes the component signals usually provide better quality, BUT... HDMI is Sooooo much easier since it's only one cable.

end your life.

Cryptic
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
that was pretty retarded... HDMI is a complete digital signal for both sound and audio

Lash
12-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Not necessarily true. Sometimes the component signals usually provide better quality.

Um...NO.

Neal Steffek
12-07-2008, 02:25 AM
HDMI is in no way shape or form the BEST in ALL cases for picture quality. If you have Time Warner, component has a better picture quality then HDMI. People only think HDMI is better becasue it is a digital connection, but you also have to consider the source of where the single is coming from.

Yooformula
12-07-2008, 02:57 AM
agree with Neal. my hdmi hookup with twc was not very good but with everything it is unbeatable. component was actually better in that case and this was on an lcd. i still kept the hdmi because i would rather watch my dvds in better quality.

Lash
12-07-2008, 09:22 AM
HDMI is in no way shape or form the BEST in ALL cases for picture quality. If you have Time Warner, component has a better picture quality then HDMI. People only think HDMI is better becasue it is a digital connection, but you also have to consider the source of where the single is coming from.

I have TWC and the HDMI is WAY better.

Got Boost
12-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Um...NO.
UM yes component is better for video than HDMI even DVI is better than HDMI ... HDMI can do all the new audio codecs and its 1 nice simple cable thats why its better ....??????!!!!

Karps TA
12-07-2008, 09:50 AM
When I had TWC I found not only was the picture better with component, but it was faster as well. I had always a pronouced delay when using the HDMI like when going to the guide and flipping channels. That was more annoying then anything else

Got Boost
12-07-2008, 09:50 AM
The 50 cent component cables you get from TWC are junk so a monoprice HDMI is better ,,, spend a couple hundred dollars for a nice component cable and you will think different...Just because is digital doesnt mean its better .... Hi dollar Analog sounds better than hi dollar digital , thats a fact , alll high quality recordings Ie Dianna Krall and such are sitll recorded Analog just masterd in Digital , and even the performers who sell vinyl will still do a master analog...Thats why hi-end analog is making a comeback in 2 channel audio and more artists are making records now.

Got Boost
12-07-2008, 09:54 AM
When I had TWC I found not only was the picture better with component, but it was faster as well. I had always a pronouced delay when using the HDMI like when going to the guide and flipping channels. That was more annoying then anything else
Those are the handshake issues with HDMI I cant use a HDMI cable with my HT processor . Compatibility issues I have to switch imputs back and forth to get it to work , too much hastle and the PQ is better although im using a 250 dollar component cable.

Lash
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Thats why hi-end analog is making a comeback in 2 channel audio and more artists are making records now.

Yeah...2 channel. Not 5,6,or 7 channel.

Lash
12-07-2008, 10:42 AM
DVI is better than HDMI ...

DVI is EXACTLY the same as HDMI image wise...just minus the sound.

badass88gt
12-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I dont mean to butt in to this exciting argument/discussion/fight, but I bought my cables from RiteAV.com, same price as Monoprice.com but RiteAV is in Appleton and theyre much closer than Monoprice which is out in Cali. Just an FYI. http://riteav.com/

Carry on.

Holeshot
12-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Just wondering if its the fact that TW channals are not all digital like satellite and thats why componet cables work better with it.

Reverend Cooper
12-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Um yeah i have hdmi on all mine the picture is flawless and sound is perfect. its the way to go sorry.

badass88gt
12-07-2008, 01:32 PM
As far as I can tell with Dish Network, the only difference between componant cables and HDMI is that with HDMI it is audio and video in one cable. No difference in sound or picture that I can see.

BoosTT
12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I also have time twc box connected via compoent. My blueray is HDMI. I think this is the best setup. The hdmi connection on twc isn't good for some reason.

Also- if anyone cares the markup on the bestbuy cables is insane. Employee price for a 30' hdmi is around $17 (insted of $135) and the 9' is $8 (insted of $99).

badass88gt
12-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Also- if anyone cares the markup on the bestbuy cables is insane. Employee price for a 30' hdmi is around $17 (insted of $135) and the 9' is $8 (insted of $99).

I got suckered in by that when I bought my TV. I later returned those $160 worth of cables and got them for $16 from Monoprice and RiteAV instead.

Holeshot
12-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Capitolisim at its finest. Thats what its all about . GROSS PROFIT BABY !!

Lash
12-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Don't forget that alot of TV's only put out up to 720p when using the component connections.

WilliamZ
12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Monster Cable is waaaay overpriced for what you get. You might as well throw your money away. HDMI is the best connection unless you are going an analog 2ch setup. All HDMI cables are not the same. There are differences and standards.

88Nightmare
12-07-2008, 07:06 PM
so if I buy a hdmi cable off of monoprice.com, is it still going to provide a decent picture?

WilliamZ
12-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes it will be decent.

badass88gt
12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Absolutely.

Neal Steffek
12-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Don't forget that alot of TV's only put out up to 720p when using the component connections.

HAHA, who told you that? HAHA. So far from the truth.

Cryptic
12-07-2008, 11:25 PM
an HDMI cable is going to deliver the same quality picture whether you paid $5 or $500. Digital is Digital... there is no in between.

WilliamZ
12-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Not entirely true...

Neal Steffek
12-08-2008, 05:43 AM
an HDMI cable is going to deliver the same quality picture whether you paid $5 or $500. Digital is Digital... there is no in between.

X a million billion

badass88gt
12-08-2008, 06:02 AM
Popular Mechanics did a comparison a couple months ago, Moster HDMI Vs. Rocketfish Vs ACME from Monoprice. They could find no difference whatsoever, except the price and flashy packaging.

T-Bag
12-08-2008, 12:25 PM
I use hdmi video/coax audio for my twc (since most shit isn't broadcast in digital 5.1 anyways). Component/optical for my xbox and HDMI/optical for my PS3.

For some reason my sony receiver doesn't like using just HDMI for audio...it wants coax or optical.

WhatsADSM
12-08-2008, 12:46 PM

x2. Basically HDMI will be a better picture as the digitial link goes further in the chain, UNLESS just as Neal pointed out there is a source such as a TWC box that quite simply has a crappy implementation of HDMI.

x2. $5 and $500 are the same. Either you see the picture or you do not... that's digital. As long as you see the picture with your $5 cable it is the same picture as that you would get with a $500 cable.

johnny--2k
12-08-2008, 12:59 PM
So, DVI will not do sound? My TV has no HDMI connection, but it is HD Ready, and I do have a DVI connection. I just got a PS3 last night, with a HDMI to DVI cable, and an Optical for sound. I just want to make sure I'm not doubling up on the sound. I also have a set-top HD Reciever with an Antenna for the local channels, and my DVD player. Those are both run into the reciever via Component cables, then one component from the reciever to the TV.

So far, so good. No complaints. I dont care about cable or sattelite. As long as I can get the local channels for my shows, news, and games, I'm good. No sense in spending 40+ per month for cable that I barely watch anyways!

Lash
12-08-2008, 03:58 PM
HAHA, who told you that? HAHA. So far from the truth.

Have you ever even checked?

There are a lot of TV's out there that will not carry 1080p through the components.

WhatsADSM
12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
So, DVI will not do sound? My TV has no HDMI connection, but it is HD Ready, and I do have a DVI connection. I just got a PS3 last night, with a HDMI to DVI cable, and an Optical for sound. I just want to make sure I'm not doubling up on the sound. I also have a set-top HD Reciever with an Antenna for the local channels, and my DVD player. Those are both run into the reciever via Component cables, then one component from the reciever to the TV.

So far, so good. No complaints. I dont care about cable or sattelite. As long as I can get the local channels for my shows, news, and games, I'm good. No sense in spending 40+ per month for cable that I barely watch anyways!

Yup. DVI is actually the predecessor to HDMI. The video portion of HDMI was based off the DVI standard.

DVI is essentially the digital video portion ONLY of the HDMI signal. So johnny you got it right... no worries no you are not "doubling up" on audio.

johnny--2k
12-08-2008, 05:19 PM
cool, thanks!

SpdRcrZ
12-08-2008, 11:11 PM
I might have to try components on my TWC HD Cable box..... right now I'm running a HDMI (actually DVI on this box) to my Panasonic Plazma, and the picture "glitches" at times, and it has a long delay when tuning into HD Channels.

WilliamZ
12-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Here is some HDMI education for you people :rolf

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests

Neal Steffek
12-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Here is some HDMI education for you people :rolf

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests

So you don't have to read all the abonve link, it pretty much says all HDMI cables do the same job, even though some people tell you they do not.

I have to come away saying that most cables under 4-5 meters will pass just about anything in today's arsenal of 1080p - and that's likely to include Deep Color if and when it ever makes an appearance (not likely soon due to current Blu-ray limitations).