PDA

View Full Version : DTV Converter Boxes......?

Brian98GTP
12-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I have to buy a couple for my Mom's place. I applied for the two coupons today, and should get those towards the end of the month.... but has anyone done the leg work and actually shopped around and researched these fvcking things to see if the ones that are $1.00 (after applying the coupon) are any good?
Are there certain features that one would want to make sure they get?

I feel bad for saying this, but since the box really isn't for ME personally, I really don't feel like reading up and shopping for this shit, LOL.
Instead, I'd rather just spend 2 minutes and create a thread where OTHER people do my homework... :haveabeer

Holeshot
12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
All they do is convert the digital signal back to analog so you can continue to use your older televisions. You still need a good antenna regardless. Also you have to remember that most all the digital signals are UHF unlike analog where its the opposite.

Brian98GTP
12-05-2008, 10:27 PM
She lives in a condo building... which is pretty much like a 100+ unit 'apartment building', so the antenna is on the roof and she just plugs into the wall with a cable.

I know what the boxes do, its just that I spent a few minutes browsing some sites that sell the boxes, and there's a million different brands and styles with different features, etc...
I just don't know what's good, what's crap, or what features are important, etc... :confused

CobraSnake
12-06-2008, 11:49 AM
She lives in a condo building... which is pretty much like a 100+ unit 'apartment building', so the antenna is on the roof and she just plugs into the wall with a cable.

I know what the boxes do, its just that I spent a few minutes browsing some sites that sell the boxes, and there's a million different brands and styles with different features, etc...
I just don't know what's good, what's crap, or what features are important, etc... :confused
as long as it has the feature "working" then your all good:goof

wrath
12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Get the Zenith 901 or Apex 250 one. I'm supposed to get my coupons sometime after the 18th.

You can get an antenna that will work better than the one on the roof.

theavenger333
12-06-2008, 02:06 PM
coupons take awhile, took me 1.5 months, now with holidays, it'll be longer. shopping wise, if you can find them at WalMart (where they're always sold out) they're 45 bucks, so you pay 5. best buy has them all the time, but they're like 70 bucks. as for the unit themselves, it's almost exactly like a Cable Box. cable in, out, remote, etc.