PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather start up routine. Warm up or Not ?

DynoTom
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Do you let your vehical "warm up" before you drive it when it's cold out ?

I have heard people say you should let it warm up a little and some say don't bother just get in and go....

Crawlin
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Only with the remote start. Not doing it for the engine, doing it for the heated seats, hahaha

Want_Notch
12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
I warm it up for my kids

xxtremeteam
12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
i let mine run 10 or 15 min before i go for the first trip of the day

CobraSnake
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't have time in the morning to warm up. If I had a remote start on the jeep I would but no one will install a remote start on a manuel trans.

Mark

Car Guy
12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
My strong personal feeling on this subject is YES let your vehicle warm up, well, if you care about your vehicle that is. I highly doubt that you yourself would like to get out of bed only to start running a marathon immediately, especially when it's only TEN degrees outside.....:stare

juicedimpss
12-05-2008, 10:59 AM
leave a quart of your favorite motor oil outside over night.in the morning,pour it into a container and see how slow it pours.
tell me what you think is a good idea

Flicktitty
12-05-2008, 10:59 AM
meh, sometimes i let it warm up for a few minutes other times i don't

Car Guy
12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
leave a quart of your favorite motor oil outside over night.in the morning,pour it into a container and see how slow it pours.

Exactly...!!! :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
12-05-2008, 11:03 AM
With 0-20W oil, I don't worry about it too much. When I first get in, I start it, put on my seat belt...most I wait is ~ 20-30 seconds before I get going.

Some of my older cars I'd wait 1-2 minutes. My old ramcharger's oil would be like vasoline some mornings, lol.

DirtyMax
12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I'd say no doubt the motor should be warmed up.

With the single digit lows the past few nights, I've been plugging in my heap. The coolant temp is already at ~100 degrees when I go to start it and the motor was a hell of a lot less noisy than when I wasn't plugging it in during deer season. For the $1 in electricity it costs me to not have such a harsh startup, I'll trim the $1 from somewhere else during the day.

flyin_blue_egg
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
i usually start mine up right when i get out to it in the morning. and due to the fact i park my vehicle outside i usually have to scrap the windows. while doing this my car gets a 2-3 min. warm up

jbiscuit
12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
warm up for a minute or 2...no longer. Any longer is just a waste

VroomPshhTsi
12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I let it warm up, especially in this weather (0-10 in the morning)... only takes about 3-4 minutes for the accord to get warm before I leave

T-Bag
12-05-2008, 11:27 AM
I always warm my vehicles up...remote start is real handy and I couldn't imagine not having it now. Oil and tranny fluid thickens, metal components are more brittle when cold like anything. I usually let it run about 10 minutes before taking off in the morning. 3-5 at the very least

Poncho
12-05-2008, 12:15 PM
not above 2500 till it's warm.

Anakonda69
12-05-2008, 12:20 PM
remote start is awesome. let mine run for about 8-10 minutes before i leave.

84hurst
12-05-2008, 12:47 PM
No matter the outside temp, I always let my cars warm up before driving. In the summer, 30 sec to a minute. Winter, 3-5 minutes. I just let the cars juices get flowing. I can't see just firing it up, droping it into drive and going when its 10 degrees out.

Smokey1226
12-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I'd say no doubt the motor should be warmed up.

With the single digit lows the past few nights, I've been plugging in my heap. The coolant temp is already at ~100 degrees when I go to start it and the motor was a hell of a lot less noisy than when I wasn't plugging it in during deer season. For the $1 in electricity it costs me to not have such a harsh startup, I'll trim the $1 from somewhere else during the day.
same, i plug my truck in even when its not single digits out. Reason being, i like my heat to be actually warm by the time i get out of my subdivision. 2) I see/hear a lot of guys cranking on their Diesels' untill it finally starts. $1 in electricity is a lot cheaper than a new starter!

CobraSnake
12-05-2008, 01:07 PM
same, i plug my truck in even when its not single digits out. Reason being, i like my heat to be actually warm by the time i get out of my subdivision. 2) I see/hear a lot of guys cranking on their Diesels' untill it finally starts. $1 in electricity is a lot cheaper than a new starter!
actually its not. If you plug the truck in everyday thats a extra $1 a day for 365 days which equals $365 dollars. Isn't a starting like $200 bucks??? Plus I'm sure you won't have to replace the starter every year.

Mark

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Remote start Exploder, yes.
$200 Jeep without remote start, well the engine gets warmer and makes heat quicker the faster the motor goes. :goof

My new winter beater doesn't seem to need a winter front to get above 150*, must be a functioning thermostat in there. :thumbsup

Smokey1226
12-05-2008, 01:11 PM
actually its not. If you plug the truck in everyday thats a extra $1 a day for 365 days which equals $365 dollars. Isn't a starting like $200 bucks??? Plus I'm sure you won't have to replace the starter every year.

Mark
lmao, you really think i plug my truck in from spring to fall? :durr

Cryptic
12-05-2008, 01:29 PM

Mark

that was a pretty retarded post :durr

It's not sub-zero 365 days of the year.

Voodoo Chick
12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm so used to carbureted cars that out of habit, I give every car a warm-up period.

DirtyMax
12-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I'll only plug in if the night temps are supposed to be 15 or below.

Never in my wildest f'in dreams though did I think that would be so soon and on such a regular basis.

Cryptic
12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I was just thinking that today... man its cold out for early December.

Smokey1226
12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I hope that doesnt mean lat Jan/Early Feb is going to be constantly below 10* :(

Voodoo Chick
12-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Farmer's Almanac said this winter is supposed to be exceptionally cold.

That_Guy
12-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I WARM MY car up because im a weakling

Jeff
12-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Whenever I start my car it will usually idle at about 2000 rpm or so I will just sit and let it go back to about 800 or 900 before I get going weather thats 30 seconds or 10 minutes. But like others have said I will not beat on it while it's cold just nice and easy.

PureSound15
12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
no one will install a remote start on a manuel trans.

Mark

Either A) You haven't done enough research or B) You don't know the right people.

CobraSnake
12-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Either A) You haven't done enough research or B) You don't know the right people.
Was this post to help me or to point out that you know more then me about remote start?

DirtyMax
12-05-2008, 02:27 PM
2 birds... one stone.

Silver350
12-05-2008, 02:30 PM
I only let my car warm up a little in the morning, but that is mainly the amount of time it takes me to scrap the ice off the windows. After work I or when I have drove it already I will let it run for about a minute then I will go.

deuceWI
12-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I wait until the idle kicks down, then go.

When it's cold out that takes longer, and when it's warmer outside it kicks down pretty quickly.

I take that as a sign that the car is happy and ready to roll.

WickedSix
12-05-2008, 03:00 PM
warm til idling normal ~1 min then drive

Korndogg
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I jumpstart my truck every morning so no....I don't let it warm up. Maybe a minute.

GRAMPS SS
12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Was this post to help me or to point out that you know more then me about remote start?

i would have to pick.............................................. ...............

both........:thumbsup

Breecher_7
12-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Ill plug the diesel in if it gets below freezing just so it warms up faster in the morning. Ive got the truck set to go to high idle. I let it warm up till the trans temp is 90 degrees then I drive it as normal. The allison transmissions like to be warm. If I keep the truck plugged in over night and start it on high idle it will be 180-190 degrees coolant temp in a matter of a few mins.

Lash
12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I jumpstart my truck every morning so no.

:rolf

:chair::punch:

Korndogg
12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
suprised you didnt see me jump my truck after work today.....unless you were already gone lol

SmokinRAM114
12-05-2008, 04:54 PM
i do for about 15min ONLY if my truck High Idles. (diesel, DUH) If it does not idle up the truck will never get warm. the fuel that isnt burning due to it being cold "washes" the cylinders, leaking past the rings and into the oil. fuel in oil dryes out seals = bad.

deuceWI
12-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Diesel, , , high idle, , , that reminds me. . .

What's up with the ford 7.3L turbo diesel's idling super crazy high when they're cold? When you start the truck it idles normal, and a couple minutes later it sounds like it's preparing for lift-off. Tap the brake they calm down to normal idle. A couple minutes later it's time for lift-off again.

As that normal? Can you make it stop (other than tapping the brake every few minutes)? Should you not try to make it stop for some reason?

Lash
12-05-2008, 04:59 PM
suprised you didnt see me jump my truck after work today.....unless you were already gone lol

I'm pulling out of the lot at 2:30 and 1 second. :shades

Korndogg
12-05-2008, 05:00 PM
yeah i kinda figured that

Breecher_7
12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Diesel, , , high idle, , , that reminds me. . .

What's up with the ford 7.3L turbo diesel's idling super crazy high when they're cold? When you start the truck it idles normal, and a couple minutes later it sounds like it's preparing for lift-off. Tap the brake they calm down to normal idle. A couple minutes later it's time for lift-off again.

As that normal? Can you make it stop (other than tapping the brake every few minutes)? Should you not try to make it stop for some reason?

Its normal, let it idle high. It does that so that the engine warms up faster or warms up period.

deuceWI
12-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Its normal, let it idle high. It does that so that the engine warms up faster or warms up period.

It's my old man's truck, and thanks for the input.

I've never owned a diesel, and just found it a bit strange since most unleaded petrol cars start high and idle down while this thing seems to do the opposite.

BoosTT
12-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I warm up my x-drilled rotors as well... one slight touch before anything magor.

BadAzzGTA89
12-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I let my cars warm up enough to get normal operating temp in the morning and the semi stays indoors but let the oil warm up to a click over 100 degrees be fore i roll in the really cold weather!

shoooo32
12-05-2008, 10:55 PM
heated parking... I get in and go. Leaving work I wait 30 seconds then short shift it for the first few miles.

lordairgtar
12-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Was very surprised at the difference between my old car and my new one. The old wagon would never get warm for miles. The new car (HHR) is at 100 degrees at the end of my drive way which is probably about two blocks long. I let it warm for a minute on cold mornings. As for remote start, don't the factories NOT put remote start on the manual transmission cars? Only automatics?

UnderPSI
12-06-2008, 07:35 AM
I have a remote start on my Diesel. It's nice to let the diesel warm up before you go. The remote start has a nice wait to start built in that waits for the glow plugs to cycle before it starts so it doesn't cold start.

GTSLOW
12-06-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm pulling out of the lot at 2:30 and 1 second. :shades

yeah i kinda figured that

Aw that's cute, you guys are dating at work.

:rolf :sgay

johnny--2k
12-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Unless it's below zero, no need. Just drive nice the first few miles. No more than 30 seconds of idling is needed for oil to circulate through your engine. Most components, such as the wheel bearings, tires and suspension system will only warm up once the vehicle is moving and besides, ten seconds of idling uses more fuel than restarting the engine.

BeesTwinEG
12-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I say for sedan/cars leave it idle for 5mins and trucks 10-15mins.

PB86MCSS
12-06-2008, 11:01 AM

It makes sense not to rev the engine when cold but really, considering the above, the engine is already running so what difference does it make if its in drive or not?

I still tend to let it warm up for a few seconds when cold but I don't think it takes too long for oil to get warmed up enough. I do let it warm up for 5+ minutes in this weather to get the heat kicked in though if I'm at home.

DynoTom
12-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Unless it's below zero, no need. Just drive nice the first few miles. No more than 30 seconds of idling is needed for oil to circulate through your engine. Most components, such as the wheel bearings, tires and suspension system will only warm up once the vehicle is moving and besides, ten seconds of idling uses more fuel than restarting the engine.

I pretty much do what johnny--2k does with his car...If the windows are iced up and I'm out scraping the windows it would be a couple minutes of idle time before I drive it though...

theavenger333
12-06-2008, 02:17 PM
leavin it to run just idling isn't great for it, because you're not blowing out the condensation properly, there was a special on this on the learning channel or something. i sit and let it run for a minute or so, to get the first few oil cycles through, then drive it easy for a bit, then go. some people let the thing warm up for 15 minutes everytime, whatever i watched said it really isn't great for the vehicle. great for the heat though!

DynoTom
12-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Warming up the vehicle means more than warming the engine. The tires, transmission, wheel bearings and other moving parts also need to be warm for the vehicle to perform well.

Most of these parts don't begin to warm up until you drive the vehicle away. The catalytic converter – the device that cleans pollutants from the vehicle's exhaust – doesn't function at its peak until it reaches between 400°C and 800°C.

The best way to warm the converter is to drive the vehicle. Driving a vehicle cuts warm-up times in half. This reduces fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

GRAMPS SS
12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Warming up the vehicle means more than warming the engine. The tires, transmission, wheel bearings and other moving parts also need to be warm for the vehicle to perform well.

Most of these parts don't begin to warm up until you drive the vehicle away. The catalytic converter – the device that cleans pollutants from the vehicle's exhaust – doesn't function at its peak until it reaches between 400°C and 800°C.

The best way to warm the converter is to drive the vehicle. Driving a vehicle cuts warm-up times in half. This reduces fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

so what your saying is....JUST DRIVE THE B I T C H ????

Lash
12-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Aw that's cute, you guys are dating at work.

:rolf :sgay

Did your uncle make that up for you? :rolf

:banana1::chair::goof