PDA

View Full Version : 4 spd mechanical linkage help.

Sprayaway Fox
12-04-2008, 10:39 PM
where do the spings hook onto? I know one hooks on to the fork but where does the other hook on the spring hook 2. Thanx for any help.:thumbsup

jbiscuit
12-05-2008, 07:50 AM
the other will go on the bell crank and then attach to a point near the firewall/body mount etc. You'll have to locate that hole. What car is this for?

Sprayaway Fox
12-07-2008, 01:38 PM
My car in the sig, Its kind of custom but it would be for a G body mech linkage. Its all mocked up but with no springs yet. Plus there are not any 4 speed guys I know so kinda stuck.

Racer X79
12-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I had a '79 Cutlass with a factory 305 Chevy and a 4 Speed for many years. Bone stock, the only spring it had in the clutch linkage went from the clutch fork to the bottom end of the cross bar. It was there to hold the lower clutch linkage rod in place because it had a bushing and a spring clip(same as Hurst shifter linkage) on the cross bar side and only a rounded off point that sat in the clutch fork pocket on the other side. Eventually I switched to a Corvette style linkage with a heim end on the clutch fork side, which eliminates the need for any springs. On a side note, be sure to use a factory style g-body bellhousing and clutch fork. I tried switching it to a "straight" style clutch fork, which screwed the geometry up and it never worked quite right. Hope this helps :thumbsup