PDA

View Full Version : Project EFI swap

Karps TA
12-04-2008, 06:47 PM
So after numerous disappointments with carbs, and just an inability to learn how to tune one - which is completely on me, I decided to switch over to EFI this winter.

I looked at a bunch of different systems. Weighing costs, ease of installation, looks, performance and tuning. To be honest I really love the look of a carb over any of the MPFI setups, so that knocked out TPI and like the Edelbrock Proflow deal. I've been looking at the Performance Products/Retrotek/Boss EFi system a year and doing searches on them constantly. I loved the ability to keep the look I liked, the simplistic install, and the fact that I was unable to find any complaints about it that made me reconsider. The last 2 months in Hot Rod magazine really sold me on it and they not only installed the setup, and had no problems with it, but then did a head,cam,intake swap on the same engine and again the system learned it without any problems.

So I took the plunge.
http://www.karpsta.com/EFI1.jpg
http://www.karpsta.com/EFI2.jpg
http://www.karpsta.com/EFI3.jpg

I went with the cast finish due to it being the cheapest and really you won't see it under an air cleaner anyways.

I'll keep you posted on the install for any of you guys considering the system.

PB86MCSS
12-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Looks good...is it programmable over a PC connection?

I've been a proponent of the CCC Q-Jet system since I like the way it works on my MCSS with a somewhat mild motor thats very driveable. I know they get a bad rap, unfairly though IMO. I also am not neccessarily a huge fan of TPI for much more than a stock motor or slightly modified, unless the car was already TPI to begin with. I think I've had too many little issues with mine and its costly to start modifying if you make alot of power.

BAD LS1
12-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Ha thats pretty damn cool!! Now only if i can graft that to the 3LC....

Karps TA
12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
It's completely adjustable via a laptop. Does datalogging, self learns via wide band 02, but you can dial it in from there. You can also DL setups from their website.

Their website is http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product.php?pk=52

You can download the software and manuals for free and check it out.

Yeah Tom, my work inspired me to switch. I figured if Daihatsu can do it, how freaking complicated can it be? lol

Plus the added joy of going to shows and telling people it's EFI and them then arguing with me that it's a carb, is entertainment you just can't buy.

MY FYN 79
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Nice setup for sure. Pretty neat how they hide the sensors under the "float bowls" :)

Ironically I just started the EFI swap on my car within the last couple days too. I'll have to make up a new post to not hog yours.

Do keep us up to date how things are going with the Retrotek.

shoooo32
12-04-2008, 11:00 PM
very cool. I've been stoked on Retrotek since I read that article.

jbiscuit
12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
just saw this now....looks like a really cool set up! Have you started the install yet on the car?

Prince Valiant
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
I've heard both good, and not really bad on the retrotek set-up. One, they put it on, spent some time getting it running right...then after a couple months, just went back to a carb. They really didn't complain saying that it wasn't bad...just didn't really have that many operational advantages over the carb they had. It didn't really start easier, nor get better gas mileage...and certainly didn't make as much power. But keep in mind...these guys were relative carb gods compared to 99% who operate old carbed cars.

Personally, I'll stick to carbs...but I don't think I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the retrotek set-up for those that are hopelessly carb illiterate.

Karps TA
12-23-2008, 02:07 PM
It's been too cold to work on it. I had hoped it would be done and running for WoW. But I had to bail on that because of this ridiuclous winter.

As for the system, Hot Rod said the first time they put it on they weren't impressed, the guy from Retrotek said they weren't driving the car hard enough. They went back out, beat on it and the computer "learned" what was needed. They picked up like 9hp on the dyno as well as had much better driveability. They even did a head, cam and intake swap and it worked flawlessly picking up what was needed. I did a ton of searching online and emailing of people who had it and found none that complained about it's actual performance. Some had problems with delivery and whatnot.

I can readily admit I can't tune a carb. So just not to have to deal with that alone will make me happy. Hopefully it'll make the car alot more fun to drive.

WhatsADSM
12-23-2008, 02:56 PM
The mechanics look pretty cool! TPS, and IAC integrated, very slick. Good price honestly.

Looks like it closes the fueling loop with the UEGO as feedback. It should definately help with fuel consumption, and tuning should be a snap since it is always looking to close the loop and adjust VE, cruising and at WOT. You can just do something like add a new intake/headers/cam/etc, proceed to do a few full throttle runs and will tune it in for ya.

Few questions:
Does it come with an integrated wideband controller? Or did they just include the PLX WB controller with it?
You running computer controlled ignition as well?

Karps TA
12-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Or did they just include the PLX WB controller with it?
You running computer controlled ignition as well?

Yes and yes I picked up a new distributor to take care of that as well. Shit, I even picked up a laptop so I can screw around with it as well.

Karps TA
03-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Small update:

With the nice weather on Friday I was able to get some things done. Most of the wiring is done in the engine bay, just need to mount the MAF, and the new remote coil.

I'll say this about the kit. It could not be easier to hook up. Everything is well labled. They give you plenty of wiring. I tried to hide as much of the wiring as possible, which mean routed it a little wierd, but still have plenty of slack left. So far this has really been a EFI for Dummies experience.

Couple pics just to show how un-EFI it looks when installed. Unless you're specifically looking for it, I'm not sure most would even notice it.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f148/karpsta/1985%20Trans%20Am/EFImotor1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f148/karpsta/1985%20Trans%20Am/EFImotor3.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f148/karpsta/1985%20Trans%20Am/EFImotor4.jpg
Hopefully the rest of the install and actually running of the car works as well.

SSDude
03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks sweet

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I may have missed this,but is this a plug and play so to speak or will you have to have this tune built from ground up? regardless it looks great and im sure it will make a great diff. in driveability and fuel economy i would think.

Karps TA
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
It's supposedly self learning. You boot it up with a laptop and put in the basics to get it running. Then you're suppossed to go out and beat the crap out of it, really drive it hard, and the ECU will set things from there. That said I can also manually adjust pretty much anything and everything via laptop. So if I want to experiment and play with timing or fuel I can do that. I can also download setups via Retrotek and upload them.

We'll see how that all works out. I'm really excited to get it up and running, nice weather can come back any time now.

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
you really have one of the cleanest nicest f-bodies i have seen

Karps TA
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
you really have one of the cleanest nicest f-bodies i have seen

Ya know people say that, and I'm never sure if that's a compliment. :rolf

It's kinda like - Damn nice trailer ya got there Bob! That a double wide?:goof

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
No really if i were to get one it would be yours,the car is so clean and custom done but not overkill

Breecher_7
03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Turning out very nice!!!!