PDA

View Full Version : Man drops off truck for oil change, dealership sells it.

Lash
12-04-2008, 06:42 PM
http://thatismessedup.com/2008/12/01/the-50000-oil-change/#comment-1698

Video

http://www.wkrn.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=3190665&at1=Promotion 6&h1=Man's truck misplaced during oil change

A man takes his truck in for an oil change. When he returns a few hours later, he says his truck is gone, reportedly sent to an auto auction for sale.

That man is Alex Adams, who tells me he couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“they basically told me it was tough and that was the way it was.”

It all starts when the 23 year old brings his ram 1500 to a hickory hollow dodge dealership for a simple oil change and tire rotation

“I was stunned,” the Kroger Meat Cutter says referring to the series of events that is about to unfold.

“They kept asking me did I pick up my truck earlier during the day. I said no. They asked several times I said no. After forty five minutes they were scrambling nobody knew where my truck was. I was in disbelief. They lost my truck over a 3 hour period.”

Unclear where his truck is, Adams says the dealership scrambles to put him in a rental car till they can figure things out.

“Yes I was pretty calm at first. They were nice at first. In the first day, but when it was 3 days without hearing from them.”

After 3 days, adams says the dealership has located his pick up

“It was at an auction house in Dupont in Madison they put it on a trailer to get it out there to be auctioned.”

Adams says when he checks his truck several items are missing including CDs.

“At least 20 CD’s were gone.”

The young man asks the dealership for $200, the approximate price to replace the 20 CDs.

Apparently the dealership felt that finding the truck was sufficient.

“They said they are not going to write me a check for $200.”Their attitude it was my fault that my vehicle was gone.”

“How is it your fault that your truck is missing for a few days?” I ask.

“That is what I asked them and they could not answer anything.”

I call the dealership and ask for the GM a man gets on the phone and asks me why channel 2 is involved.

I try to explain to him that Mr. Adams is upset and he feels like he is getting no satisfaction and they have asked me to see if I could help.

I tell the man on the phone that I need his side of the story. The man tells me that this is not a story for the news, and that he has no comment and abruptly hangs up.

Since we are interviewing Alex Adams near the dealership, we decide we should try and get the manager on camera for his side of the story.

We encounter a group of polite salesmen who are oogling one of the new Dodge’s the dealership is getting.

The salesman tells me he will get the GM for me and asks me to wait by a beautiful Viper in the front of the show room.

After a few minutes the GM arrives.

“Hello, I am Andy,” I say extending my hand. “I believe we have spoken on the phone.”

He nods.

“I wanted to give you the opportunity to get together with you so you could give me some kind of response. I talked to Mr. Adams it was about his truck it sounds like it was a mix up.”

His eyes stare at Al and his omni present camera.

“Are you recording?” he ask.

“Yes we are. We are always recording,” I say.

The GM has a look of disgust.

“You guys man. Look if you want to talk to me. Don’t come in and bring in a cameraman and do all that. That is not necessary,” he says.

I want to remind him of our conversation the day before where he hung up on me. Before I am able, he turns his back and walks away.

A few minutes later I get a call from Alex’s dad. He tells me that after I left the dealership, the GM allegedly called him to complain about Channel 2’s involvement.

“He called me and was not happy,” James Adams tells me by phone from the front seat of the big rig he drives.

“So he won’t talk to me, but he calls you to complain,” I say.

“He said it was none of my business. I needed to stay out of it. He told me if Alex came down he would talk to him but he would not pay $200 for CDs.”

I understand that mistakes happen. A truck can be lost, then found.

I also realize the CDs disappeared while at the auto auction.

Regardless, the dealership was the last responsible party. They had control of the young man’s truck.

So the customer wants $200. That’s an expensive oil change, but in the over all scheme of this story it is a drop in the bucket.

That’s because the father tells me he was willing to buy 2 more dodge trucks. $50,000 worth of dodge trucks, but because of $200, he plans to spend that $50,000 at another dodge dealership.

Crawlin
12-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Hmmm.. Not saying I don't believe it...

Just sounds funny. Knowing exactly how the process goes when a vehicle goes to auction, it's pretty hard to believe all that. You have to list it ahead of time. Then the company then picks it up or you have old people that have been hired by the dealership to drive it out there. Further, no one is gonna single trailer a plain old truck out to the auction. There's a wholesale vehicle board with keys, and they have our own key tags. The service lot has a completely different set of keys.

Secondly, pops is full of shit. Ain't no one gonna just go "i'm buying two new dodge trucks" blah blah blah. That's just all talk. I bet if you did a follow up in 2 months, he wouldn't even have ONE new truck

Holeshot
12-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Had you not posted a link I might never have believed it. Truly another chapter for the sad but true file on dealer customer service.

Sprayaway Fox
12-04-2008, 06:53 PM
WTF?! I would just punch him in the face and call it even.:punch:

lordairgtar
12-04-2008, 06:54 PM
How does a dealership even take a vehicle to auction without the titles to the vehicles?

WhatsADSM
12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I totally agree the dad is probably bullshitting with all the "I was going to buy 50k worth of trucks"

But with that said the GM of that dealer is just plain stupid. The $200 was well worth NOT being put on the air and having everyone in the area hearing about the story and the shotty customer service.

Car Guy
12-04-2008, 07:30 PM
That story stinks worse than Cudahy......:goof

Goat Roper
12-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Working video link;

http://www.wkrn.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?clipId1=3190665&at1=Promotion+6&vt1=v&h1=Man%27s+truck+misplaced+during+oil+change&d1=195500&redirUrl=www.wkrn.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=flv

Car Guy
12-04-2008, 07:47 PM
The original one worked just fine for me.....

Feature Pony
12-04-2008, 07:51 PM
How does a dealership even take a vehicle to auction without the titles to the vehicles?

Tenn might not have titles like in WI or might hold them like some states do, so maybe thats why with the title thing. as far as grabbing dudes truck the guy that drove the truck onto the trailer wouldn't of realized that there was CD's and sun glasses that didn't throw a red flag? As far as his dad buying new truck I call B.S. as well.

Car Guy
12-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Either something happened while it was at the dealership and they were 'taking care' of it during those three days or it was loaded up accidentally on to a carrier.....:thumbsup

ND4SPD
12-04-2008, 07:54 PM

I buy at dealer auctions, they do it all the time (the titles don't need to be present).

Goat Roper
12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
The original one worked just fine for me.....

Yep, sorry, does for me now to

Crawlin
12-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I buy at dealer auctions, they do it all the time (the titles don't need to be present).

This is true. The idiots at Enterprise usually take 3 weeks to get us the titles to what we buy.

Oh yeah, I totally agree on the situation. $200 is a drop in the bucket compared to negative press.

Car Guy
12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't think that most people realize how much bad press something like that can possibly get, and if they aren't already they'll be wishing that $200 could make it all go away.....:rolf

I can't stand terrible customer service.....:flipoff2:

Voodoo Chick
12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
That story stinks worse than Cudahy......:goof

Nothing stinks worse than Cudahy.............

Cjburn
12-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Dealership service is really, really spotty. In the very little experience I have, it's 50/50 between really great service, or really bad. I don't think there is in between here.

VroomPshhTsi
12-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Is it me or was that one of the corniest editing jobs for a news story ever? Looks like a high schooler did the effects lol

Waver
12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
damn that is kind of fucked up, and if I hadnt seen the vid, I wouldn't of believed it.

HITMAN
12-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Nothing stinks worse than Cudahy.............

I don't know about that....:rolf