PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires!!

Brian98GTP
12-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I decided to purchase a new set of winter tires after seeing how the current ones performed in the last snowfall. With the slightest bit of slush on the road, the tires just don't grip at all.
I ended up buying a set off Tirerack.com for pretty cheap!
All the reviews were positive, and they really seem like a GREAT winter tire for the price.
$85/tire.... plus $10 shipping/tire.... so the total was $380 shipped!
They're Firestone Winterforce tires (my size was 235/55/17).

Just thought I'd pass the info along for those wanting some cheap winter tires. :thumbsup

I'll post back up in this thread how they perform once I get them mounted/balanced. (I'm sure I won't see another snowflake fall once I get them installed :rolleyes:)

Brian

Yooformula
12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
shit! I was on a few days ago couldnt find anything less than 109 so we bought locally. Larry at Firestone really took care of us AGAIN so I cant complain. With all of the doctor visits we have now this winter we really needed some snow tires and DAMM does it make a difference!

TransAm12sec
12-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I picked up wintforce tires awhile ago; I remember them not being known for lasting long, but they do grip well, above half tread.

Prince Valiant
12-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Winterforce are what powered the GC a few years back to the two-time snow drag champion...and I was winning by a significant margin too.

I have a set of winterforce for the insight too...the HUGE storm last year that resulted in people getting stuck even on main roads, and six alone on my street, I'd drive by like nothing.

Winterforce rock. Mine were ~ 45/tire for both the GC and the insight.

wikked
12-04-2008, 01:08 AM
<--- also has Winterforce. good stuff!

SlowStee
12-04-2008, 01:33 AM
damn!! when did you place the order?? Might have to buy a pair

Brian98GTP
12-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Winterforce are what powered the GC a few years back to the two-time snow drag champion...and I was winning by a significant margin too.

I have a set of winterforce for the insight too...the HUGE storm last year that resulted in people getting stuck even on main roads, and six alone on my street, I'd drive by like nothing.

Winterforce rock. Mine were ~ 45/tire for both the GC and the insight.

$45/tire!!??
Damn! Where'd you score those? Or is it just the difference in price due to size?

damn!! when did you place the order?? Might have to buy a pair.

I bought them about 10 minutes before the original post.... so, late last night.
They showed them as being in stock, and that I should receive them by Monday at the latest, coming from Indiana. :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
12-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah...different size. 15" on the GC iirrc (it's a 94 model) and 14" on the insight.

Keep in mind that during the snow drag championships...that not only was my second winter in them, but I had driven a whole summer on them too...putting on 40+ thousand miles since having them mounted.

Brian98GTP
12-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Holy Shit!!

It shows that they were delivered, and are sitting on my porch right now!

I ordered them Wednesday night at 8:30pm, and they arrived at my doorstep a little after noon, today.

Not bad! :thumbsup

Now I just have to schedule a mount/balance.

DSMDuDE
12-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Winterforces are great! i had them on the front of the Focus last year, and this year too, So i went to look for another set of 2, put the old ones on the rear, and new ones on the front, and tire rack nis now sold out, because of canadas new law, that everyone living in canada HAS to have snow tires, So bridgestone and firestone shipped out a HUGE supply because they knew they would sell, So i cant match my set, and had to settle for another brand, But from my experience winterforces ROCK!

Hope these i am getting treat me the same

JC70SS
12-07-2008, 02:57 PM
how was that running snows on the front only?

shoooo32
12-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Tire rack- Blizzak ws-50 215-55 r17 for $75 a tire. I just mounted a set on the 330xi.

Brian98GTP
12-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I had the bitches mounted on Saturday, and went straight to the nearest unplowed parking lot I could find.

They work pretty damn good!! Through ~7" of snow, starting, stopping, turning.... it was all very good. Even on the packed down snow they performed great!
The real test will be the ice storm that we're getting tonight/tomorrow.

I'm going to leave the 4wd Denali at home and take my chances with the SSEi and the new winter shoes.... if I even decide to go into work, that is. :shades

Prince Valiant
12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
just got my steelies today for the insight...hopefully in the next day or two I'll have them on the car too.

Prince Valiant
12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
The insight with the new wheels and tires....and sans fender covers.

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5810&stc=1&d=1229037795

Looks better imo

Brian98GTP
12-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Oooooooh... Seck-say!

You better put some locking lugnuts on that shit! :thumbsup

Z28Envy
12-12-2008, 12:18 AM
I have never used snow tires before. never really even payed to much attention to snow tires so what makes them so good? I haven't really ever had to much trouble with getting around in the snow in my front wheel drive cars unless the snow was so deep that I was pushing snow. Anyway just wondering what makes them so good and if they are a lot better than new all seasons.

Prince Valiant
12-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Anyway just wondering what makes them so good and if they are a lot better than new all seasons.
It's remarkable just how much BETTER they are than all-seasons, really. Even yesterday, I couldn't get over how much better my car does on the packed stuff in my neighborhood (they don't do a great job plowing it), even though the all-seasons don't do horrible. Once the snow get's a bit deep, it's no contest how much better the winter only tires are.

Reasons they are better:
1. Better tread design: There are a couple types. 1) Basic tread design that features numerous (IE thousands) of "siping" that provides biting edges/grips the snow. 2) Then there are the treads that not only feature the siping, but also feature large blocks/grooves throughout to allow snow to pack in, thus giving the tread the most opportunity to dig in....a bit better still in deeper snow. Number 1 may have the edge on icy surfaces...2 the edge in slush. Both usually have aggressive outside edges as well, that'll again, help in the deep stuff.

There is so much put into the tread design that it's not uncommon for it to affect how the car "feels", in that some tires may give you a wander sensation at high speeds/dry roads even. It's a VERY purpose designed tread.

2. The rubber compound is designed to be "soft" in the cold...which is partly what makes them wear so quickly if used year round. Whereas all-seasons have to hit that compromise to give acceptable tread wear in every temp/condtion, snow tires do not.

Those are the two biggest reasons.

What I really like about getting purpose built winter tires is that it allows me to get more aggressive, summer only tires...I can get a much better performance tire w/o worry about what it will do to me once the crummy weather get here (this actually doesn't help with the insight, lol).

It's can be a tough pill to swallow to make that initial investment (my buddy just spent 800+ on his winter wheel/tire package for his CTS since there are no inexpensive steel wheels for it), but it pay off eventually. While the winter tires are on, his more expensive summer tires are not being worn down. And now, he has no compromise tires for later spring/summer/fall use that allow him to enjoy the further capabilities of his CTS. He tells the wife that in both cases, either winter or summer tire helps them stop shorter/handle better in the environment they were designed, so it was a safety justification for getting them, lol.

Z28Envy
12-12-2008, 11:09 AM
It's remarkable just how much BETTER they are than all-seasons, really. Even yesterday, I couldn't get over how much better my car does on the packed stuff in my neighborhood (they don't do a great job plowing it), even though the all-seasons don't do horrible. Once the snow get's a bit deep, it's no contest how much better the winter only tires are.

Reasons they are better:
1. Better tread design: There are a couple types. 1) Basic tread design that features numerous (IE thousands) of "siping" that provides biting edges/grips the snow. 2) Then there are the treads that not only feature the siping, but also feature large blocks/grooves throughout to allow snow to pack in, thus giving the tread the most opportunity to dig in....a bit better still in deeper snow. Number 1 may have the edge on icy surfaces...2 the edge in slush. Both usually have aggressive outside edges as well, that'll again, help in the deep stuff.

There is so much put into the tread design that it's not uncommon for it to affect how the car "feels", in that some tires may give you a wander sensation at high speeds/dry roads even. It's a VERY purpose designed tread.

2. The rubber compound is designed to be "soft" in the cold...which is partly what makes them wear so quickly if used year round. Whereas all-seasons have to hit that compromise to give acceptable tread wear in every temp/condtion, snow tires do not.

Those are the two biggest reasons.

What I really like about getting purpose built winter tires is that it allows me to get more aggressive, summer only tires...I can get a much better performance tire w/o worry about what it will do to me once the crummy weather get here (this actually doesn't help with the insight, lol).

It's can be a tough pill to swallow to make that initial investment (my buddy just spent 800+ on his winter wheel/tire package for his CTS since there are no inexpensive steel wheels for it), but it pay off eventually. While the winter tires are on, his more expensive summer tires are not being worn down. And now, he has no compromise tires for later spring/summer/fall use that allow him to enjoy the further capabilities of his CTS. He tells the wife that in both cases, either winter or summer tire helps them stop shorter/handle better in the environment they were designed, so it was a safety justification for getting them, lol.

Thanks for explaining. I can see where they would benefit in the snow!!

Goat Roper
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Just a plug for the Dayton Timberline ATs that I just had slapped on the Suburban. Amazing amount of grip in the snow for just an AT (I was initially concerned they did not look aggressive enough) and can be had for under $100 in the 245/75/16.

FYI, Dayton is a child company of Firestone

http://www.outlettire.com/images/L_dayton_timberlineat2.jpg

Brian98GTP
12-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Same Dayton company? :headbang

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/titan-performance-modifications/46095-what-size-rims-fit-07s-22fwdpass.jpg

Reverend Cooper
12-17-2008, 11:00 PM
these are what I had Larry put on for me.
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&Cookie=froogle&details=Ordern&typ=D-103254&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1
they are bad azz