PDA

View Full Version : Diet/Weight Loss Questions

03CVLX
12-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok, Its taken me a long time to get up the courage to ask questions about this but I gotta do something as I feel worse every day.

Does anybody here have any good suggestions to help lose alot of weight. I need to lose about 120 Lbs.

As some know on here I am a 911 Operator/dispatcher and naturally this means I am sitting behind a computer for 8-16 hours a day doing nothing but answering the phone/talking on the radio. I view this as my biggest hurdle to overcome.

I'm starting with the basics, cutting out soda, trying to watch what I eat etc. But I am also wondering if anyone has any ideas on some kind of supplement thats available to help keep my metabolism going when Im at work and not able to move around all that much. I work alot of nights and trying to avoid eating even small meals in the middle of the night.

Thanks for any ideas or help given.

Tom

Voodoo Chick
12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
There is a weight-loss pill called Anoretix, it is very, very good. It's expensive, but it is supposed to be extremely effective. Best luck to you, and don't get "down" on yourself, take it all slow, and the weight WILL come off.

Voodoo Chick
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
http://anoretix.com/ here's a link for ya

lordairgtar
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I went from 476 to 409 and now I'm stuck at 413, so I'm not the best to ask that question. I went from whole sammitches at lunch to half, and stayed away from the fast food places, but I screw up once in awhile there. You can do muscle clenches at your seat, leg and arm, buttox, stomach. That burns calories. The meds I take cause weight gain so I'm kind of screwed either way. As for those weight loss supplements, notice that the label always says to use with a good diet and exercise.

Troutman
12-02-2008, 11:43 PM
count, count count your calories... try to figure out what your daily caloric intake is currently that is maintaining your current weight. then gradually cut down. drastically cutting your calories is not healthly.

also look into mild cardio..early morning on an empty stomach.

taking a thermogenic will help, but take with caution. i recommend the above before i'd start with them

03CVLX
12-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Well, my biggest Calorie Intake is all the damn Mountain Dew I drink. I figure I drink 2-3 24 ounce bottles a day and if im on a double shift like tonight, its even more. Just cutting that out completely should make for a big drop.....I HOPE.

946speedz
12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
make the switch to diet for now, then try to ween yourself towards mainly water/flavored water. i myself am stuck on diet soda(forever) im down from 330 to 270 just watch your portions and take it slow, work your way into it and have patience dont get discouraged. portion control is another great helper once you get into a routine its pretty easy to follow....much like the 2-3 24oz md's........keep us posted

twirkin50
12-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Well, my biggest Calorie Intake is all the damn Mountain Dew I drink. I figure I drink 2-3 24 ounce bottles a day and if im on a double shift like tonight, its even more. Just cutting that out completely should make for a big drop.....I HOPE.

Just by cutting this out you will notice a huge difference. If it is the caffeine that you need start drinking Green or Black tea. Has natural caffeine in it to give you a little boost and it is a natural dieuretic.

Also and this is huge, drink lots of water!! Water also helps keep your metabolism going and buring small amounts of fat.

Eat several small meals spaced out every 2-3 hours and start tracking your calories.

Might sound strange, but if they will allow it.....ditch the chair you sit in for an hour or so a day and sit on a stability ball. It will make you focus on stabilizing yourself using your core muscles getting a mini workout in while sitting. Can't hurt to ask as it doesn't effect your production.

loud91rs
12-03-2008, 07:58 AM
I recently went on a diet as well. I don't really believe in taking a pill to help. It's never worked. I've been on several diets over the years and some included going to the gym for an hour a day and nothing seemed to work. Decided to give it one last chance and now in less than two months I've lost 34 pounds in less than two months. What I have been doing is: going for walks as much as I can, eating much less, smaller, but more frequent meals, no soda(only water or flavored water, if out then some kind of juice instead of soda), no fast food, and if I go out for lunch get a half of a plain ham/cheese/whatever sub. Just watch what you eat, and try to stay active when not at work. You can do it. Best of luck! Just don't give up if it doesn't seem to work, give it some time.

Karps TA
12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
There's a couple things I've found that help.

Number 1 is a website called www.caloriecount.com Use it to track what you eat. Don't cheat. Do it for a couple weeks atleast. You'll be shocked at what you are actually consuming in calories each day. Cutting out regular soda alone, from that amount your saying is like 1000 calories a day. You can also put in a goal weight and it'll tell you what you calorie goal should safely be per day.

The OTC fat burner pills I think help in one way, they can sometimes give you that jumpstart you need. I know with myself when I don't see some immediate results I get discouraged. With the Fat burner pills they atleast seem to "cut" you a little so you can see some physical results. My primary exercise is lifting weights, so it may affect me more, then others. I don't think the epherdrine free supplements work nearly as good as the old ones did. The problem mainly with ephedrine was people not listening to their bodies. They'd follow the ridiculous qty's put on the bottle, not to what their body was saying. I tried their suggested intake once and thought my heart was going to explode. I cut that in half and had results and energy.

Don't weigh yourself everyday. It'll just frustrate you. Weigh yourself once a week around the same time. If you're going to life weights as an exercise program, realize you might actually gain weight at first as you build muscle. For example I can tell you right now that after a month of getting back into it, my actual weight is about the same, however my clothes fit better, and I'm back down a size in pants.

Troutman
12-03-2008, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=twirkin50;471889]Just by cutting this out you will notice a huge difference. If it is the caffeine that you need start drinking Green or Black tea. Has natural caffeine in it to give you a little boost and it is a natural dieuretic.

Also and this is huge, drink lots of water!! Water also helps keep your metabolism going and buring small amounts of fat.

Eat several small meals spaced out every 2-3 hours and start tracking your calories.

QUOTE]

agreed. and the fact that your drink that much Dew is just insane...

also, and it may sound funny, but when eating, use smaller plates, and bowls. when we use larger plates and such we tend to fill them more because a half empty plate to any man just doesnt seem right, so you end up taking more food, and eating more food so by using smaller ones, we trick ourselves, and will end up eating less......hopefully

brotherbenn83
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Lipo 6 is a good thermogenic. You can get it relatively cheap at amazon.com It has caffeine in it, which will help make up for the loss of not drinking that Mt. Dew anymore.
When drinking water, try and drink it COLD. Your body has to get it up to temp (98.6) to use it, and that in itself burns calories. Plus drinking water can help curb your appetite. Also, replace high GI carbs with low GI carbs. For example, eat sandwiches on wheat bread instead of white. High GI carbs cause insulin spikes which lead to fat storage. Following this same advice in 2006 I went from 247lbs in Feb to 202lbs by June 1st. You may want to consider joining a gym and doing some low-medium intensity cardio. Since you sit in a chair all day, riding an exercise bike shouldn't be difficult for you, just start off slow and gradually increase the time and resistance. Otherwise walking/running in a pool is good because it takes a lot of the weight off your joints.

Hope this helps.

Cryptic
12-03-2008, 10:40 AM
go for a walk on your lunch break.

I get an hour for lunch at work. I spent all summer running 5.5 miles per day. You gotta kick that metabolism up by getting your body moving. Now that winter has set in and I ain't running at lunch I already put on 5-10 lbs thanks to Thanksgiving and deer camp.

My advise, get out and move when ever you can. Lots of cold water like Ben said too. Eat smart. Build more more muscle mass = burn more calories.

You cant always look at the scale when your working out. Muscle is going to be alot heavier than fat. Just stay on the path. You didn't get big overnight. There are no shortcuts. Just dedication.

twirkin50
12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Just stay on the path. You didn't get big overnight. There are no shortcuts. Just dedication.

Quoted for the truth!! :thumbsup

-stew-
12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
J

Might sound strange, but if they will allow it.....ditch the chair you sit in for an hour or so a day and sit on a stability ball. It will make you focus on stabilizing yourself using your core muscles getting a mini workout in while sitting. Can't hurt to ask as it doesn't effect your production.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5jcWt0vH-M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5jcWt0vH-M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Silver03SRT
12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
weight will come off fast once you start to eat right and exersice. instead of eating chips and garbage food have an apple. everyone things not eating is the best part which is not true. eat 5 small meals a day to keep you metablism going. breakfast is the most important and try to work out for atleast 45min a day. it may be tough but once you get in the routine you will feel better. i can almost bet you that you will lose about 20lbs a month if you watch your diet and work out. remember though that last 15-20 lbs will be the toughest to lose.

wrath
12-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I like to eat. It's difficult to lose weight if you like food. In my case, I like food as much as the next person but I'm addicted to that "full" feeling.

I'd cut out as many "wasted" calories as you can. That means get rid of whole milk, non-diet softdrinks, non-lite foods, et cetera. Switching to "diet" and "lite" foods will substantially make a different. But the flavor isn't there. You'll get conditioned to it with time. Yogurt-based margarine is a lot better than real butter or transfat margarine. Lite Miracle Whip tastes like crap but it's better than nothing. Diet Mountain Dew tastes nothing like Mountain Dew but once you change your expectations it's not so bad. Lite/reduced fat cheese kind of sucks. Try to replace beef with extra lean turkey or chicken if you can. If you like ground beef, consider grinding your own. This way you can control the amount of fat.

Go for walks. You don't necessarily need to weight train or jog or do cardio. Just going for a 20-60 minute walk is sufficient. If you're a slow walker like me (I meander) then just walk as fast as you can for 1 minute then walk normal for 5 minutes then repeat. It'll keep your heart rate up without making you physically tired or sore.

Slowly phase in the changes. Don't go into your cupboard and eliminate all the "bad food". Just as you replace it don't buy the "bad food". It'll make it less painful both monetary and willpower alike.

Consider getting some protein mix and some instant breakfast mix. If you're not allergic to pure whey protein like Isopure then mix it with instant breakfast and use that as a breakfast. While it doesn't make you feel "full" it does help with the hunger in the morning.

Lastly, keep some "failure foods" around. It's better to have individually packaged foods like Oreo Cakesters around when you're feeling weak/having a craving than to go to the store and buy half a gallon of whole milk and a bag of Chips Ahoy... or go to McDonalds and get a #1.

I lost my first 50lbs pretty quick, about as fast as I gained it. It took me a year to lose the last 15 and I'm still very overweight. But instead of being an IT person on the move (covered 3 buildings and was never in my office) I now sit in a cubicle all day.

dr doom
12-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Dude if you gotta lose big weight get a hold of me. I have lost 160lbs, and Im currently working with a member on the board that lost 50 lbs in 6 weeks. I have other people I have been helping out too so I have a pretty good idea of whats going on.

Anakonda69
12-03-2008, 04:10 PM
biggest thing to help would be to get your doctor's advice. everyone's body is different and just cuz something worked for one person doesn't mean it will work for you. nothing will replace good exercise regiment. i didn't drink soda for 3 months and lost like 10 lbs. i always hear people say they lost so much weight without soda but i didn't. not to mention if your a bigger person naturally there is still a healthy and unhealthy weight and calorie intake. after doing my bloodwork my physical told me on average i need to take in upwards of 3,000 calories a day to stay in the healthy range. my family is all big people. my last 2 physicans told me i had a large frame. said i shouldn't look at getting down to much more then 240-250. i have always had good physicals with no bad cholesterol, trigliserids or blood pressure. right now i'm about 295 i have begun to hit the gym hard again i have lost roughly 30lbs. since i had my surgery. my knee surgery killed me. there are alot of things to take into account and just make sure you do alot of research before taking pills or supplements. i don't take any just don't trust them. my wife is a ot and she has helped me look into even whey protein and natural stuff and they aren't all that good for you. unless you live the perfect life of eating and drinking. lol just be careful with pill or supplement help.

03CVLX
12-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I will go through it all and make sure I got everything set.

03CVLX
12-03-2008, 11:42 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5jcWt0vH-M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y5jcWt0vH-M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OMFG, I can so see that exact same thing happening to me. My coworkers would so pop the damn thing.:rolf

Voodoo Chick
12-04-2008, 03:36 AM
Lol!!!

Rocket Power
12-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I lost 25 in a little less than 2 months this summer. Just started walking at least a mile -1 1/2 around the neighborhood and watching what I ate. I also had a bad Dew habit. I started drinking water and G2 which is only 100 calories for a 32oz bottle. What I found amazing was after cutting out Dew for a while then having one at night made it hard to go to sleep, since my tolerance to caffeine apparently went down.

Now with my full time work schedule and taking 18 credits and the other things I have to do I don't have much time for exercise, although I just started back on the train. I have a treadmill that sat unused for a while and now am using it, and I have a Faux-flex:goof an imitation Bowflex I got at walmart a while back. I have stayed at -25 lbs since school started back up but I am pushing myself to get back into the exercise thing and just making time to do it. Need to get back into shape (other than round :rolf) to get the job I am going to school for or I will have pissed away all that money, and being a cheapass, that is motivation for me:rolf

TraNs_aM
12-05-2008, 07:37 AM
gettin 8 hours of sleep

drinkin 70-90 oz. of water a day

and the hardest part find something healthy that u enjoy eating make it small and only eat that every day

my meal was 1 can of green beans 1 tuna sandwich on weat bread and some kind of chips small amount......this is by far the hardest part and thats all i ate all day long....doing this wasn't easy and i dont recommend it i went from 217 to 180 losing 3-5 lbs a week

also if u drink any alcohol that will slow ur metabolism down so try and cut that out too

doing cardio while trying to lose the lbs is hard cuz in order to make ur mody move and do such u need to give it energy which means eating more so i didn't do n e cardio just lil things like if i went to the store i'd park farther away from the door or going up escalators or takin the stairs

Anakonda69
12-05-2008, 08:19 AM
also healthy weight loss is about 2.5 to 5lbs. a week. you tend to lose the water weight in the begining so the loss is more to start with.