PDA

View Full Version : how much to have a hood painted

07ROUSHSTG3
12-02-2008, 09:46 PM
any idea what it would cost to have a fiberglass hood for my car painted? looking at ditching the stock hood with faux hood scoop for something a bit cleaner looking. http://www.blowbyracing.com/bbr3coinho.html (http://www.blowbyracing.com/bbr3coinho.html) . anyone have a rough idea?

Holeshot
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Call Mark at Pro Comp Auto Body, He does top notch work, Tell him Dan from NAPA sent you.

Troutman
12-02-2008, 09:51 PM
i'd say about $500+ for both sides

07ROUSHSTG3
12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
i'd say about $500+ for both sides

thanks. never thought about the underside of the hood :goof

how long would painting both sides take??

Voodoo Chick
12-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Call Mark at Pro Comp Auto Body, He does top notch work, Tell him Dan from NAPA sent you.

Which NAPA do you work at?

Troutman
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
thanks. never thought about the underside of the hood :goof

how long would painting both sides take??

depends on where you take it and how busy they are. if they arent busy, you'd probably get it back in about a week. depending on how soon you want to get it done, now is the time to do it. come the end of winter/beginning of spring they will be busier, and you will be looking at a few weeks. also take into account any fitting, or bodywork that needs to be done. that will obviously jack up the price and completion time..

awsomeears
12-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Which NAPA do you work at?

The one where they give you the correct parts the 1st time :goof South Milwaukee location :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Take it to the dealership you work at...scratch that...forgot where you worked...:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :goof

Silver350
12-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Pm Burgandymcss and see if he is interested in doing it as a side job. If he doesnt have a lot of side jobs he might do it for you. He is the one that did all the painting on my truck.

Sprayaway Fox
12-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I like your stock hood better (just me though) Eric, I can give Mikey a call if you want. Just Text me or something, I can ask him and let you go from there.

kornholio788
12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
depends on where you take it and how busy they are. if they arent busy, you'd probably get it back in about a week. depending on how soon you want to get it done, now is the time to do it. come the end of winter/beginning of spring they will be busier, and you will be looking at a few weeks. also take into account any fitting, or bodywork that needs to be done. that will obviously jack up the price and completion time..

A week?!?!?! Good lord. Holy slow shop batman. Take it to a better shop and have it done in 2 days. 3 max if they don't get to it the first day. You are just sanding, priming, and squirting color on it. Hell I could have that done in 3 days. Hell in reality with the proper booth set up you could have that hood done in a day if you were slow in the shop.

Shops are begging for work in these times. Find a shop that is dead. 1. You will get a much better price on it as the shop will take in it for a decent deal just so they have work to do. And 2. you will get it back much quicker.

67-400
12-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I just sent out my new hood to get painted, $400 prep & paint for both sides. A buddy of mine does paint on the side, should have back in a couple of weeks. It would be done by this weekend, but he was suddenly booked from all the snow accidents. Well, i'm in no hurry, not driving it anytime soon.

juicedimpss
12-04-2008, 12:28 PM
A week?!?!?! Good lord. Holy slow shop batman. Take it to a better shop and have it done in 2 days. 3 max if they don't get to it the first day. You are just sanding, priming, and squirting color on it. Hell I could have that done in 3 days. Hell in reality with the proper booth set up you could have that hood done in a day if you were slow in the shop.

Shops are begging for work in these times. Find a shop that is dead. 1. You will get a much better price on it as the shop will take in it for a decent deal just so they have work to do. And 2. you will get it back much quicker.

you sure make it SOUND easy.

kornholio788
12-04-2008, 12:49 PM
you sure make it SOUND easy.
For a sand/scuff and squirt. If you know what you are doing and have the proper tools.

It is.

Troutman
12-04-2008, 11:05 PM

by all means.... take your hood to get painted there then. nothing sings quality better than the 2 words "quick and painting"

LIZMO
12-04-2008, 11:20 PM
i'm painting my hood this weekend.... it costed me 13 bucks... lmao. yeah walmart hahaha. (just the beaters getting rattle can spray paint)

juicedimpss
12-05-2008, 08:21 AM
by all means.... take your hood to get painted there then. nothing sings quality better than the 2 words "quick and painting"

:rolf
my thoughts exactly.

kornholio788
12-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Lol suit yourself. What do I know, I've only been in the business for 2 years and do this on the side as well. And have a pretty good chance that the shop you take your hood to, I, or one of my coworkers will be mixing the paint for your hood. I know what shops are slow. And which aren't. I know exactly how long it takes for a hood to be painted. I know what how many hours the shop gives a guy to do a hood. But you guys obviously know more than me! W00t!

Any half decent body guy could have that hood done in a day.

Not my hood though. Good luck.

DR.FORD
12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Lol suit yourself. What do I know, I've only been in the business for 2 years and do this on the side as well. And have a pretty good chance that the shop you take your hood to, I, or one of my coworkers will be mixing the paint for your hood. I know what shops are slow. And which aren't. I know exactly how long it takes for a hood to be painted. I know what how many hours the shop gives a guy to do a hood. But you guys obviously know more than me! W00t!

Any half decent body guy could have that hood done in a day.

Not my hood though. Good luck.

WOW- 2 years... whats up George Barris:rolf
Shops are a little slow, but the ones that are dead are for more reasons than the economy.
I have owned my shop for 20+ years and have only painted a handfull of hoods right out of the box. I also pay my guys hourly so it is done MY WAY, not a set time limit. If it is a race to get it done fast, you are doing it for the wrong reasons. A persons pride and joy should not be considered a refrigerator!
If I have learned anything being in this business for this many years and have hired and fired know-it-alls is... usually the guys that know it all can't do it all!
Make sure whoever does it gets a part or a damn good look at the color, because of variants. Sometimes you have to go into surrounding panels for an acceptable match. I understand no one wants to do that because if you go back to the original hood there may be a color issue, also because of blend time.
Doing something with high quality standards is not always cut and dry!!

My shop # is 414-483-8850 if you have any further questions. We also mix and match paint on site.:thumbsup

xxtremeteam
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
07ROUSHSTG3 are the stripes on your car stickers or paint because that will also effect price and the time table to get your hood done

07ROUSHSTG3
12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
07ROUSHSTG3 are the stripes on your car stickers or paint because that will also effect price and the time table to get your hood done

STICKERS :gay