PDA

View Full Version : Riding when it is cold outside

Al
11-29-2008, 03:25 AM
A few minutes ago, I put about 2 miles on my bike. It was a bit cold outside, so I never left the underground parking at my place. One lap here is about the same as 1/16 mile. Doing ovals will leave you dizzy after some laps, but the way parking is here, I can do figure-8s.

So, what do you do during the winter to keep your bike from sitting too long between runs?

pOrk
11-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I rode mine, but I'm no sally.

-stew-
11-29-2008, 11:29 AM
There is salt on the roads, not gonna happen for me any more this year. Way too much bare aluminum on my bike to take he out on salty roads.

I don't get your question. Short of needing a battery charge and some Sta-Bil in the tank, mine will sit indefinitely. As should most.

Voodoo Chick
11-29-2008, 02:30 PM
If I were into motorcycles, I would bring mine into my house and keep it in my living room all winter, lol......I wish I could do that with my cars.........

RanJer
11-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Short of needing a battery charge and some Sta-Bil in the tank, mine will sit indefinitely. As should most.

i used a battery tender, and i used a rear stand for it to get it upright with the rear off the ground, and a piece of wood under the front. Was told sitting on cold concrete for long periods can cause the tires to loose their shape/create a problem.

But it didn't run from Christmas until mid-late March...

-stew-
11-30-2008, 01:22 PM
i used a battery tender, and i used a rear stand for it to get it upright with the rear off the ground, and a piece of wood under the front. Was told sitting on cold concrete for long periods can cause the tires to loose their shape/create a problem.

But it didn't run from Christmas until mid-late March...

I'll just pull the battery and charge it if need be. I will be replacing the battery come spring if I can come up on a battery relocate kit. The kit allows for a smaller and three pound lighter battery to be moved. This opens up a lot more space in the already cavernous under seat storage area.

I don't have mine on the stands. May re-arrange the garage and put the bike on the rear stand behind the Mustang. I've never heard of tires sitting on concrete being bad for the tires.

00SoSlow
11-30-2008, 10:23 PM
supposedly the moisture in the tires will be pulled out into the ground and cause the tires to dry rot/ flat spot... not sure if its true, i never leave mine on the ground buy some stands!!!

-stew-
12-01-2008, 04:49 AM
supposedly the moisture in the tires will be pulled out into the ground and cause the tires to dry rot/ flat spot... not sure if its true, i never leave mine on the ground buy some stands!!!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/stewsquarenuts/rides/100_0247.jpg

I have a pair of chrome T-Rex Racing stands, $120 to my door. I am very happy with them. Quality pieces for the money. They make chain maintenance and wheel cleaning/polishing a breeze.

Junky Giorgio
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
My gixxer is too much of a cream puff to even come out of the garage when its cold out with snow/salt on the ground. The chances of corrosion starting on a bike are pretty good and terrible once it would start.

Mine is up on a set of front and rear race stands with a ventilated bike cover on it. I also put some SeaFoam fuel stabilizer in it and have a battery tender on it.

Voodoo Chick
12-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Wouldn't riding in winter be miserable because of the cold?? I know nothing about bikes/riding, but it seems like it would just be terribly cold and unpleasant......

pOrk
12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Wouldn't riding in winter be miserable because of the cold?? I know nothing about bikes/riding, but it seems like it would just be terribly cold and unpleasant......

If you're a Sally, yes.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/My%20old%20bikes/ridindurrrty2.jpg

:)

Voodoo Chick
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
What's a "Sally?" The bike pictured above......yours? Very, very cool. I love the paint job.

pOrk
12-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Used to be, sold it to a member on here.

A 'Sally' is a wuss.

I did have more then one bike, and I obviously wouldn't ride my nicer bikes once the salt hit the roads. I learned the hard way when I rode my TL to Chicago two winters ago, the aluminum on the bike never looked the same.

-stew-
12-02-2008, 01:38 PM
If you're a Sally, yes.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/My%20old%20bikes/ridindurrrty2.jpg

:)

Sure thing, Nancy.

Also: wat?

:stare:thumbsup

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/readyforthedrive.jpg

pOrk
12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Notice the tank bag ;-) Main reason for the wrap was to keep my belongings dry before I got dropped off in Atlanta, where I rode from Atlanta to Daytona to Sarasota. I also had my backpack sitting on the seat and the tail section was completely full as well. The truck was completely full of the other guys gear that I went down with, only thing I had room for was myself and my helmet.

-stew-
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Notice the tank bag ;-) Main reason for the wrap was to keep my belongings dry before I got dropped off in Atlanta, where I rode from Atlanta to Daytona to Sarasota. I also had my backpack sitting on the seat and the tail section was completely full as well. The truck was completely full of the other guys gear that I went down with, only thing I had room for was myself and my helmet.

Tank bag? I hardly noticed the bike with all the bubble wrap. They do that for ya over at the fed-ex store or you buy one a them rolling pin with saran-wrap things from the good folks over at u-haul?

Nice CB, by the way. I have a '82 K model and a '81 F model. I'm also getting a '70 CB350 soon.

pOrk
12-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Haha, I actually got the wrap from someone here on the forum. It helped a ton, we hit some freezing rain / sleet through Chicago and RAIN in Indiana.

I'm looking for a CB750, I would settle for another 550 too.

-stew-
12-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Haha, I actually got the wrap from someone here on the forum. It helped a ton, we hit some freezing rain / sleet through Chicago and RAIN in Indiana.

I'll sell if cheap if you wanna do a DOHC.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/stewsquarenuts/rides/100_0007.jpg

Z28Envy
12-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Give a guy 4 rolls of stretch wrap and he doesn't even remember who gave it to him!! Nice!!!:goof:rolf

pOrk
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
haha, it was late! I still have two rolls left, this stuff is handy as hell! Thanks again, it helped a ton. My shit would have been SOAKED by the time I hit the hotel in Daytona.

pOrk
12-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I'll sell if cheap if you wanna do a DOHC.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/stewsquarenuts/rides/100_0007.jpg

That thing is mint, too bad it doesn't have wires. How cheap is cheap?

CannotPost
12-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I used to ride a Honda Rebel 250 in the snow..... It was as gay as the day is long.

lilws6
12-07-2008, 06:10 PM
eventually when this gets here i'll be riding this in the winter
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/lilws6/DSC01261.jpg