PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a i Pod ----- I'm a newb to these things

awsomeears
11-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Seems like all of my friends have them, all of my friends friend mothers have them. But I don't :rolf

I'm behind on the times I guess, what is the scoop on these. Do you need to run i tunes or can you download anything to the i pod from your computer.

PC or mac it doesn't matter right ?

I'm just going to pick up a used one off craigslist, there on there between $75 - $125

For those that own one can you let me know what each model can possibly store as far as number of songs.

- Brad -

Myles
11-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Dont contribute to the apple.

Get a zune.

And if you get a iPod, you can use it regardless of your machine pc or mac. BUT, use winamp to handle it not itunes.

88Nightmare
11-28-2008, 12:31 PM
ipods are trash. itunes software blows the big one. There are so many cheaper mp3's that last longer and are of better quality.

Sprayaway Fox
11-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Get the biggest Ipod you can afford. I got the black one thas as big as a pack of cigs. My friend made a CD that he put in to let me start using the Ipod without being connected to the internet...But when you put a CD in it will register as Track 1 2 3 the songs. You will have to put all of that in. Kinda sux

Holeshot
11-28-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a brand new 1 gig MP3 player you can have. Still in the package.

88Nightmare
11-28-2008, 01:06 PM
ill take it dan :)

Holeshot
11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
All ready gone Mike Sorry

88Nightmare
11-28-2008, 01:31 PM
that was quick

Deggy
11-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Dont contribute to the apple.

Get a zune.

And if you get a iPod, you can use it regardless of your machine pc or mac. BUT, use winamp to handle it not itunes.

How do you use Winamp to handle the music instead of itunes?

pOrk
11-28-2008, 03:12 PM
ITUNES SUCKS ASSHOLE

My girlfriend bought one and loved it to death, until she lost her play list the first time. Now 300 playlists LOST later, she hates it to death. She bought me one soon after she bought hers, and I hate mine equally. So if you want to buy a used one, give me an offer and I can start using my 6 dollar cheap ass 1 gig religiously and I won't feel bad NOT using the ipod. JUNK

VroomPshhTsi
11-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't understand the hate against iPods and iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually not a fan of Apple (everyone with their computers think they are so much better than PCs and they themselves are smarter than everyone else). However, I've had two iPods and a shuffle. My first iPod lasted me 5+ years and still worked when I gave it to my friend cuz I bought a 30 GB color one. My 30 GB color lasted about 1.5 years then died for whatever reason but I took it to the Apple store and even though it was out of warranty (by like 30 days) they gave me a brand new one there on the spot, no questions.

Yes they stall once in a great while, but they can easily be reset or plugged back into your computer and that has always worked for me.

iTunes works perfect for me, easy to organize (I choose to organize songs myself), burn CDs in, etc.

So IMO, get whatever iPod you want, make sure it has enough storage for your songs (I have 5500 songs, roughly 19 GB). Get iTunes for Windows and have fun.

I'm sure I'll get hate on but iPod + iTunes has been great for me. I highly recommend them both (this coming from an Apple hater).

Myles
11-28-2008, 03:36 PM
How do you use Winamp to handle the music instead of itunes?

you open media manager and click the portable device. loads organizes and does everything. Plus it doesnt lock your songs out so you can transfer them around.

I don't understand the hate against iPods and iTunes.

Cuase its ******* garbage. proprietary shit is ******* garbage. Throw it the fuck away.

pOrk
11-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Can't have more then one ipod on the same computer which is gayer then aids, the software CONSTANTLY crashes, and its a pain in the balls to load all my music into itunes software to begin with. I have just under 240 gigs of music, not even half of it is in itunes and the software is slow as hell. No thanks ipod.

I have both a PC and a MAC, and I like both systems equally. This isn't apple hate, this is ipod hate.

VroomPshhTsi
11-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Cuase its ******* garbage. proprietary shit is ******* garbage. Throw it the fuck away.

I guess easy to use and doesn't fail when I use it equals garbage :confused

VroomPshhTsi
11-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I have just under 240 gigs of music, not even half of it is in itunes and the software is slow as hell. No thanks ipod.

Dammnnnn, 240 GB??? I have about 20 gigs and iTunes has NEVER crashed on me in 6+ years of using it. I guess if you have 240 gigs it might shit on you, yeah. But for most people with less than 50 gigs of music, it runs fine.

iPod has stalled on me a couple times, nothing holding the play and menu button for 5 seconds didn't solve.

O well, just amazed that many people have had bad times with iTunes.

pOrk
11-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't even half of the music loaded into itunes, thats one of the problems with the software. It doesn't do well with LOTS of music, which sucks.

When it does Crash, it SUCKS recreating a playlist on my end since I am very particular when it comes to the music I listen to. The only time I ever use my ipod is at work.

lasttimearound
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
wow, i have 3 different ipods now, never had an issue. i have 40gigs of music on my computer and i tunes never crashed.

pOrk
11-28-2008, 03:58 PM
How do you load more then one playlist on the same computer?

lasttimearound
11-28-2008, 04:16 PM
what do you mean playlist? all songs are stored in the library, then you can create as many playlists as you want based on the songs in your library.

Want_Notch
11-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I just got an 32G IPOD touch. Coolest thing ever.

Goat Roper
11-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Yep, Gen 2 iPod Touch ftw

T-Bag
11-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Can't have more then one ipod on the same computer which is gayer then aids, the software CONSTANTLY crashes, and its a pain in the balls to load all my music into itunes software to begin with. I have just under 240 gigs of music, not even half of it is in itunes and the software is slow as hell. No thanks ipod.

I have both a PC and a MAC, and I like both systems equally. This isn't apple hate, this is ipod hate.

Umm....you can have as many ipods on one computer and itunes as you want. Its called making another library, if you hold down the shift key while loading itunes you can select which library you want to use. ..I thought the same thing until I went to apple's website and spent all of a minute searching.

I've never had a problem with itunes or my ipod (80gb classic). Not one problem, no slowing, no freezing, no crashing. IMO iTunes is a lot nice than wincramp. The only thing I hate is Apple always wants to try to coax you into installing their POS Safari browser everytime itunes updates.

97z2801ss
11-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Umm....you can have as many ipods on one computer and itunes as you want. Its called making another library, if you hold down the shift key while loading itunes you can select which library you want to use. ..I thought the same thing until I went to apple's website and spent all of a minute searching.

I've never had a problem with itunes or my ipod (80gb classic). Not one problem, no slowing, no freezing, no crashing. IMO iTunes is a lot nice than wincramp. The only thing I hate is Apple always wants to try to coax you into installing their POS Safari browser everytime itunes updates.

I have never had issue with itunes and ipods either I had a 30 gig video and a big ugly first gen and a 80 gig video and havent had problems. I agree tyler I hate the safari updates and that new genius thing:flipoff2:

pOrk
11-28-2008, 05:27 PM

WRONG Doesnt work

T-Bag
11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
WRONG Doesnt work

Don't tell me its wrong when me and my brother share the same computer/itunes with seperate libraries.

Hold the shift key, then open the executable/shortcut.

Sorry, YOU are wrong.

What else do you need, screenshots?

Yeehaw
11-28-2008, 06:23 PM
i got a 80GB one works good even got the adaptor for the car but i cant figure out how to switch from imac settings to windows settings now that im not using my ex-roommates computer

SSDude
11-28-2008, 08:04 PM
you open media manager and click the portable device. loads organizes and does everything. Plus it doesnt lock your songs out so you can transfer them around.

Amen to that.

I picked up a Zune 30gig when they came out a couple years ago. This thing rocks! None of the copy sharing hassles when i share mp3's. You couldn't give me a free ipud.

Scales
11-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I got the iPhone and I'm not a big fan of iTunes. Maybe when I play around with it a bit more, but so far I don't like it. A loaded up about 5g of music and it said it can't find over 300 songs now...