PDA

View Full Version : Attn all 8 & 9 second "street legal" cars

dave bandt
01-20-2004, 04:05 PM
I just got an invite from Interstate Dragway in Fargo ND to come and put on a show on Sunday August 1, 2004. I am looking to get 8 - 10 cars together but will talk to the track manager if more are interested in coming. There will be some money for showing up, though at this time i do not know how much. The only limitation is that the cars be "street legal" or factory appearing and running "smaller" tires. No cut up cars with lexan and steam roller tires. We can discuss it amongst ourselves wether or not to put the $$$ into a pot and race for it or distribute it evenly to offset travel costs. Please respond via email if you are remotely interested in going. My email address is dbandt@crmeyer.com. Once again, this is NOT just a Mustang event. It is open to ALL makes of cars.

Crawlin
01-20-2004, 06:16 PM
what's up Dave! good to see this happening. i remember the post on cponygo. or atleast i think it's the same thing! although not too many here, but i'll pass it around.

Chris

Cryptic
01-20-2004, 09:49 PM
do we even have any street legal cars that are not stripped down that do an 8-9 sec quarter?

is that even possible when not on slicks? :bsflag

A B4C Z
01-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Isnt there a V-6 buick that is around that?

Crawlin
01-20-2004, 10:07 PM
i think fastest car on a drag radial is 8.20's? maybe faster? anyways, he meant like a pro street type slick. no Pro Stock cars allowed basically. he's looking for cars like Tuff's that are running something close to a 10.5" tire.

dave bandt
01-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Big Daddy Duane Gutridge went 8.04 or 8.07 on a drag radial. I don't know the size off hand....I think it was a 315. It looked like a "W" tire but was not a slick. The race is on right now to be the first to break into the 7's. It will happen in within a few months.

As far as my race goes....I'm looking for street legal cars running "W" tires or smaller. In other words, nothing over 11.5" wide....and a slick. The fastest pass on a true 10.5 was done by Petty and Lynch....it was a 7.5X at WFC last year. On a 31 "W" tire they have been 7.0's at 206. You'd be amazed how fast you can go on small tires if you can tune your suspension and have the car built right.

HITMAN
01-22-2004, 09:58 PM
You might want to try and get a hold of "Quick" Carl Rodgers. Also Bob Hood, Tim Jakus, and Kevin Rivens. They're casual acquaintances of mine from this area, but I don't have their phone numbers. Two guys I do know personally, Shane Windsor and Mike Baron, I will let know about this. I'll have them post here if they're interested.:haveabeer

Crawlin
01-22-2004, 10:14 PM
you can call and talk to kevin ribbens(i dated his neice at one point) at KR Automotive to see if he's interested. it's located in Waukesha, WI. you can get the email for Carl on the nmca message board. i had been talking to him about setting up a 10.5" class for the midwest area that was seperate from any of the other organized classes.

dave bandt
01-22-2004, 10:59 PM
I've just about got this event full now. I only need one or two more cars to commit. In all actuality this is not a "race" so to speak. It is more of an exhibition with guaranteed money for those that participate and free admission to the track. There will be a small purse and i'm working on some sponsors to throw some free parts or gift certificates into the kitty.

I am working with another track promotor from Tri-State down in Iowa on another deal. He is putting together a couple of races that will have a couple of different classes that will appeal to a more broad spectrum of racers. It will be run on a pro tree and a qualifying ladder. We're discussing rules and will be limiting the classes via tire sizes. Also, there will be different weight structures for different engine sizes and power adder configurations. I will post on here once we know the dates and more particulars. The track has already expressed interest in supporting it. We just need to figure out a way to make it economically feasible.

Thanks for the replies guys.....

Crawlin
01-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Dave... do you know if there is any caravans coming from milwaukee area up there? I think it'd be fun just to spectate at the event. Thanks

Chris

dave bandt
01-22-2004, 11:13 PM
I don't know about a caravan but markstang will be coming up to run his car and he lives just south of Milwaukee.