PDA

View Full Version : ~ Feeler Thread ~ Thinking About Offering Installations on April Aire Humidifiers :-)

awsomeears
11-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Lately I got a few PM's about my opinions and questions about April Aire Humidifiers.

Here is some quick information that might perk your ears up, this is all 100% true and product proven :thumbsup this ain't as seen on TV shat :goof

Humidification for Energy Savings:

Sometimes you feel colder, even with the thermostat turned up. Dry air makes you feel colder than the actual thermostat setting because the moisture evaporating from your skin has a cooling effect. A humidifier can help lower heating bills because humidified air feels warmer. For example, a 20°C or 69°F temperature at 35% relative humidity feels just as warm as a 22°C or 72°F setting at 19% relative humidity. Setting your thermostat back by three degrees can reduce annual heating bills by as much as 5 percent

http://www.aprilaire.com/themes/aa/en/images/products/products_humidifier_mod500_detail.jpg

Info :http://www.aprilaire.com/index.php?znfAction=ProductDetails&category=5&item=500

I'm telling you the truth when I say " Using a quality humidifiers makes the world of difference " probably one of the best items you can buy for your home for the winter.

If I would offer Humidifier Installations would anyone be interested, price installed would be about $375 - $425 depending what your current system is and how much re-work it would need.

I need some feedback :thumbsup

Car Guy
11-20-2008, 11:17 PM
You know where I stand.....:)

Max 93
11-21-2008, 06:40 AM
I may be interested

DurtyKurty
11-21-2008, 08:06 AM
I have one of these. It really makes a huge difference. My meter typically reads about 42%. I really noticed it when I recently visited my parents who do not have a humidifier. There is stark contrast in how your nose/respiratory feels when you wake up in the morning.

Money well spent.

Cryptic
11-21-2008, 11:56 AM
What options would I have with radiant heating and our central air uses flexible tubes (opposed to the usual duct work). I can use the A/C as kind of a heat pump to circulate and filter the air the winter (which works good when we use the fireplace)

http://www.appscout.com/images/spam%20boy.jpg

Larrygto
11-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I've been thinking about doing this, So I'm in! When can you start?

Nix
11-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Very intrested. How long would it take and the price is $375 - $425 give or take a bit?

When I wake up in the morning my shit is usually stuffed up pretty decent and I have some crusty boogers in my nose sometimes along with my throat dry and feeling like fuck. :mad:

Holeshot
11-21-2008, 01:07 PM
You know what I think.

Ricky Bobby
11-21-2008, 01:45 PM
cool its not just me, in my house is shitty for holding heat so the furnace runs alot and in the morning sometimes hurts to breath i would be in as long as the funds stay :thumbsup

awsomeears
11-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Great feedback lady's !!!

I will be ordering 6 humidifiers hopefully tomorrow if there open ( supply house ) I can start installing these later next week or the week after.

To everyone that replied on here I will get in touch through PM's, not right away because I'm still sorting out stuff to get the ball rolling on these. Takes more then just a humidifier and BAMM installed. I don't cheap out on anything I buy quality materials Enough said !!!

I might make a standard price for everyone but we shall see once I get some materials and stuff laid out as far as what I will generally have into each job + Labor.

If there is a large distance from me ill add on gas + time, but I'm fair so don't panic :eek:

You know you know.................

Lash
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Why are you choosing to go with the bypass type?

awsomeears
11-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Why are you choosing to go with the bypass type?

KISS method :thumbsup

Keep it simple stupid :thumbsup

For those that do not know there's another type out there called a " Powered Humidifier " basically it blows in the moisture via Mini Fan that takes 110 volts.

In my opinions the down falls are :
The fan uses 110volts and to me that's wasted electricity when by-pass can circulate the air for free aka blower motor doing the work.

What if the fan motor burns out 5 or 10 years down the road, by that time the motor will cost $150 + and that's if there in stock.

I will only use the power humidifiers in Tight locations, do they work :eek: Hell yea they work. They work great and so do the By-pass :thumbsup

I think they both Humidify the home Equally, one just makes practical sense to use :thumbsup

Lash
11-21-2008, 10:35 PM
In my opinions the down falls are :
The fan uses 110volts and to me that's wasted electricity when by-pass can circulate the air for free aka blower motor doing the work.

The additional electricity needed to run the fan is minimal - about equal to a 25 watt light bulb

Also..

The fan inside a powered unit blows heated supply-side air across the humidifier pad so its water efficiency is higher. Powered models can typically produce about one gallon more humidity per day using the same size humidifier pad as a bypass model....which can be important if you have a shorter run cycle on your furnace (typical of many furnace today as many of them are slightly oversized).

by that time the motor will cost $150 +

$75....pretty much always in stock :thumbsup

CobraSnake
11-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Great feedback lady's !!!

I will be ordering 6 humidifiers hopefully tomorrow if there open ( supply house ) I can start installing these later next week or the week after.

To everyone that replied on here I will get in touch through PM's, not right away because I'm still sorting out stuff to get the ball rolling on these. Takes more then just a humidifier and BAMM installed. I don't cheap out on anything I buy quality materials Enough said !!!

I might make a standard price for everyone but we shall see once I get some materials and stuff laid out as far as what I will generally have into each job + Labor.

If there is a large distance from me ill add on gas + time, but I'm fair so don't panic :eek:

You know you know.................
I can certainly vouch for Brad he's awesome at what does. I had a problem with my air this summer and he was over lickadee split. I was low on cash for such a problem and he figured it out so it would all work out with what he had to do and what I had to pay him with. I believe I already have a apirlaire but not for sure.

Mark

awsomeears
11-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Lash those are all good and valid points but I still like the By-pass versions, plus I'm not about to add another electrical outlet. Power humidifiers cost more 1st off and adding the outlet is even more.

Again for certain things I like using the KISS method.

Economical sounds about right :)

Intended to save money, as by efficient operation or elimination of unnecessary features

Mr Twigbert
11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I'll take one.. Let me find out when we can spare the cash.. I'm hoping it will be soon because it makes sense to do it NOW and not later..

wrath
11-22-2008, 10:41 AM
I lived in the UP for 7 years. That is the land of humidifiers. It gets so dry there the snow evaporates in people's houses.

Bypass humidifiers are fine if you have a really good thermostat and a decent furnace that can handle having the blower on all the time. Some crappy furnaces believe it or not don't have 100% duty cycle blowers. If you have a junk thermostat (if you never had to read the manual it's probably a junk thermostat) then buy a humidifier with a blower. I recommend buying the blower-less humidifier and buying a bling thermostat. You can even get ones you can control over wireless with a computer like the one I have.

A bypass humidifier will cost you ~$180 at Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. Or ~$150 plus shipping off the interweb. If you own a drill, some tinsnips, a couple screwdrivers, and know which way to spin a wire nut... you can install a bypass humidifier given that you have a semi-modern ducting. It'll take about three hours if you read the directions.

Lash
11-22-2008, 11:32 AM
A bypass humidifier will cost you ~$180 at Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. Or ~$150 plus shipping off the interweb.

You can get them (Aprilaire 500A) for around $145 locally or off the internet shipped. ;)

And some people have made a pretty big mess trying to istall their own humidifier.

Jsho13
11-22-2008, 05:33 PM
We have got a family friend in the business up in Appleton that said they would do mine for me. If they don't want to make the drive down to the falls to install it, you will be next in line. I'll talk to them tonight and find out.

awsomeears
11-22-2008, 11:38 PM
A bypass humidifier will cost you ~$180 at Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. Or ~$150 plus shipping off the interweb. If you own a drill, some tinsnips, a couple screwdrivers, and know which way to spin a wire nut... you can install a bypass humidifier given that you have a semi-modern ducting. It'll take about three hours if you read the directions.

All I have to say is I do quality work, everything is straight neat and fully working to its potential. I charge what I charge, to post up prices and say its easy and anyone can do that is Weak Sauce bud :rolleyes:

And some people have made a pretty big mess trying to istall their own humidifier.

Last year a DIY'er fried out his circuit board, thermostat, thermostat wire and the humidifier/control because he mistake the circuit board as 24volt hookups, to bad it was 110 :stare !!!!!!!!!!!!

FRIED UP WIRE MMMM MMM GOOOD

$650 in repairs and another $650 for a new humidifier and he was good to go :thumbsup

awsomeears
11-22-2008, 11:39 PM
We have got a family friend in the business up in Appleton that said they would do mine for me. If they don't want to make the drive down to the falls to install it, you will be next in line. I'll talk to them tonight and find out.

Sounds great, if you do use your buddy make sure to get a Aprilaire :thumbsup

wrath
11-24-2008, 08:24 PM
All I have to say is I do quality work, everything is straight neat and fully working to its potential. I charge what I charge, to post up prices and say its easy and anyone can do that is Weak Sauce bud :rolleyes:

I didn't say you don't do quality work.

Anyone can look up what that humidifier costs on shopping.google.com. Anyone can read directions. Some people can't build a Revell model but others can build small aircraft.

Does your employer know that you're doing side jobs that are potentially costing the business coin? If not, that's WEAK SAUCE. :durr

Max 93
11-27-2008, 11:37 AM
any idea when you can start installing these ?

awsomeears
11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I didn't say you don't do quality work.

Anyone can look up what that humidifier costs on shopping.google.com. Anyone can read directions. Some people can't build a Revell model but others can build small aircraft.

Does your employer know that you're doing side jobs that are potentially costing the business coin? If not, that's WEAK SAUCE. :durr

I agree that you didn't say I don't do quality work :thumbsup

Korndogg
11-27-2008, 02:29 PM
:popcorn this thread is :rolf

nismodave
11-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Doesent this count as free advertising?

awsomeears
11-27-2008, 03:16 PM

I'm not sure what you mean ? I'm lost :eek:

:popcorn this thread is :rolf

Why is this thread so funny :D please tell me

Korndogg
11-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I would like to know what your employer charges if your charging that much. Im not trying to shit on your little side business gig you got going on here but I know company's that charge the same amount as what you are asking and they are far from hacks so you can't use that excuse so I don't know what kind of "deal" you have here. Not trying to attack you.

awsomeears
11-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Simply that's what I charge.....

Just because you saw a price of $160 @ cheapasshumidifiers.com does not mean I have to bend over backwards and install it for $200. Not to mention theres about $40-ish in extra materials nobody knows about. Ohh yea and shipping is anywhere from $18 to $22, ever think about shipping.... Good god its the 21st century folks shipping costs $$$

Please answer me this question if you were doing humidifiers on the side what would you charge, I really want to know ?

My work charges $636 and we Install them on a daily basis, and some customers shop around. Is it a bit high yes I will agree, but like I said there installed the correct way and look nice and clean.

Korndogg
11-27-2008, 10:28 PM
I was just stating that I know of other companies doing it for less. I was not talking about the internet pricing. I told you what I know and I also said I wasn't trying to attack you so no need to get defensive.

awsomeears
11-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I was just stating that I know of other companies doing it for less. I was not talking about the internet pricing. I told you what I know and I also said I wasn't trying to attack you so no need to get defensive.

There's no other response that I can give without sounding defensive, keyboard doesn't allow that so bear with me on that.

I really would like to know a price in your opinion, I have gotten a few PM's with similar questions about why does it cost $425 if the unit is $180 shipped. I laid it out honestly and in plain text. Right down to what I can possibly make, I really shouldn't have to but some people don't think of it as a whole.

Plain and simple the product, materials and time costs money :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
11-27-2008, 11:26 PM

you think dave.....:banana1:

BadAzzGTA89
11-28-2008, 01:23 AM
you think dave.....:banana1:

Yea Dave has to win the Captin Obvious award lol
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1240/1342888327_0982e539b7.jpg?v=0

awsomeears
11-28-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm still lost on the advertising thing :durr

Holeshot
11-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Its only money. Fook it I am on the list!!!

GRAMPS SS
11-28-2008, 04:31 PM
can I advertise for free too.......can I ...CAN I...............

nismodave
11-28-2008, 06:27 PM
I dont understand how awesomemears gets away with free advertising on BCM when others have to pay.

You are constantly plugging your business on BCM. And making your "suggestion" threads.

How much have you paid BCM for this free advertising?

Lash
11-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Oh snap!!!!! You pissed off the nismo.

Holeshot
11-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh snap!!!!! You pissed off the nismo.

Doh. That's pretty tough as Dave is pretty damn hard to get angry. :shades

nismodave
11-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Look, Im not pissed. Im just annoyed.

There are alot of business owners that would like to make threads about thier businesses, but its one of the rules of BCM.

theavenger333
11-28-2008, 06:57 PM
if you don't like it dave, close it! however, i do believe it was discussed before you were "in" that because it's not technically a buisness, brad does it in his free time. andy let it go then, he's not really here now to say yes or no again, but brad was okayed when it was brought up before

nismodave
11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
If he earns money from it, its a business.

Im just asking this for fairness to others on the board.

nismodave
11-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Seems simple enough to me.

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7251

theavenger333
11-28-2008, 10:11 PM
dude i don't make the rules. like i said, at the time, we okay'd it. actually yoosof called me today looking for brad's number, i think the old view on it was brad was more providing a service? kind of like a consult on electrical work would be from you. dunno man. just giving you the old facts