PDA

View Full Version : CB install questions.

GTSLOW
11-20-2008, 06:52 PM
First I mounted the antenna to my rear bumper. Do I need to have a plastic washer on each side of the mounting surface so the antenna itself isn't grounded? And the small wire that wraps around the antenna a million times. Does that just get ground normally?

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album46/CIMG5366.sized.jpg

Second the two power wires for the cb itself. They say to ground the positive (red wire) and run the negative to the negative post on the battery. Is this right? I've never wired something like that.

subliminal1284
11-20-2008, 06:57 PM
The way you have it bolted is fine, Red goes to power, negative to ground. Get your antennae tuned with an SWR meter to make it work its best.

Reverend Cooper
11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
yeeehawwww rednecks

GTSLOW
11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
The way you have it bolted is fine, Red goes to power, negative to ground. Get your antennae tuned with an SWR meter to make it work its best.

Cool! So I just screw that little metal wire to a ground and call it a day? My buddies gonna hook me up with his SWR meter tomorrow.

GTSLOW
11-20-2008, 07:08 PM
yeeehawwww rednecks

It's for my off roading club you sob.

Plus I have a modern 4ft fiberglass antenna, not a 10ft whip. :goof

Reverend Cooper
11-20-2008, 07:09 PM
oh ok honky tonk

BadAzzGTA89
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
It is better to mount it higher in the air and on the driver side for the simple fact that all traffic is on the left of you (other CB users)and the shorter the cable to the CB the better.
I just use one daily:thumbsup

wrath
11-21-2008, 07:39 AM
You want the cable in multiples of 9' lengths.

I'd loan you one of my standing wave meters but I don't know where they are.

I have a CB antenna on my G6. It's great listening to the truck drivers. It's saved me many tickets and many hours in stop-n-go traffic. It's mag mount so when not in use I just toss it in the trunk.

I have one of these. It's handy. Can connect it to the cigarette lighter and an external mount or you can put a rubber ducky and a battery pack (rechargeable or alkaline) on it.
http://forsale.wrath.com/midland_75-822/midland_75-822_03_S.jpg

-stew-
11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
The '70's called, your soup-strainer mustache is in, but the yellow t-shirt with the glittery van cartoon you ordered is still on back order.

SmokinRAM114
11-21-2008, 12:21 PM
It's for my off roading club you sob.

Plus I have a modern 4ft fiberglass antenna, not a 10ft whip. :goof

a hick stick:goof

Slow Joe
11-21-2008, 12:33 PM
I was gunna get a 10-15' Whip antenna when I had my Wrangler... Strap it so it went fro the front to the back... :rolf er Vice versa...

PonyKiller87
11-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Make sure the Tip of the antena is at least 6" above the roof of the truck or it will get crap reception. Also probably want to get a spring at the base so when you drive into the garage it doesn't snap your whip.

GTSLOW
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Make sure the Tip of the antena is at least 6" above the roof of the truck or it will get crap reception. Also probably want to get a spring at the base so when you drive into the garage it doesn't snap your whip.

I was originally going to mount it on the bumper but it didn't go more than a few inches above the top. So I used the mount they included and ran it off the body. Also it's a fiberglass stick that can bend over 180*.

xxtremeteam
11-21-2008, 01:29 PM
when i had my wrangler i had two four foot whips wtih springs attached to the mirror bracket i loved it and worked real well but i never went wheeling without doors

Ricky Bobby
11-21-2008, 01:37 PM
when i was younger i had a thunderbolt antenna took 3 magnets to hold that bitch up and a linear amp that i could talk over most fast food pa systems lol i believe i still have the antenna just need a base if someone is interested in it :rolf thats all i got left
http://www.fosscb.com/images/solarcon_2000.jpg
like this but not in a box

PonyKiller87
11-21-2008, 03:08 PM
I was originally going to mount it on the bumper but it didn't go more than a few inches above the top. So I used the mount they included and ran it off the body. Also it's a fiberglass stick that can bend over 180*.

Grab the 2 ends and bend that thing 90 deg and feel how much force is on there. Yeah the whip will bend without breaking but it puts so much force at the base that it will dent, bend or break what ever its attached to. The spring is deff $10 well spent.

70 cutlass 442
11-21-2008, 04:08 PM
It is better to mount it higher in the air and on the driver side for the simple fact that all traffic is on the left of you (other CB users)and the shorter the cable to the CB the better.
I just use one daily:thumbsup

Thats the last thing you want to do, doing that will make the ERP lopsided and propel the signal perpinducular from the vehivce. Idealley you will want it in the dead center of the roof and get a full wave antenna, which in the 27MHz rangs happens to be 9' (hence why you run the cables in increments of 9') but you can overcome that by a high quality antenna with a GOOD coil in it, but thats usually upwards of $70 for an antenna, but you will also notice a huge difference.

when i was younger i had a thunderbolt antenna took 3 magnets to hold that bitch up and a linear amp that i could talk over most fast food pa systems lol i believe i still have the antenna just need a base if someone is interested in it :rolf thats all i got left
http://www.fosscb.com/images/solarcon_2000.jpg
like this but not in a box

Thats way old school technology. but i still see some people drivign around with them

Jsho13
11-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I have one of these. It's handy. Can connect it to the cigarette lighter and an external mount or you can put a rubber ducky and a battery pack (rechargeable or alkaline) on it.
http://forsale.wrath.com/midland_75-822/midland_75-822_03_S.jpg

Got the same one and it works great. I also have a magnetic antenna that I plug in to sometimes which gives it better reception.

Yeehaw
11-21-2008, 06:18 PM
i got a 40 channel kraco in my taurus works great.

Goat Roper
11-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Back in the 80s these things were our cell phones

Rocket Power
11-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Quit being a sissy and put a 102" on there.
I miss my old President Jackson sometimes