PDA

View Full Version : xd or m&p

Drivinhard
11-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I currently have a xd40 service, I love it, it is amazing. I am looking for a 9mm and the question is M&P 9mm or a XD 9mm, either a tactical or a xdm.
any comments or opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

UnderPSI
11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
I would get the new XDM 9mm. It's the perfect gun.

STANMAN
11-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Glock:rolf

Given the choice between the 2 you mentioned though, the XD. It's been a LONG time since Smith and Wesson made a good polymer pistol, and although the M+P looks nice, I still have nightmares from my Gander gunsmithing days about the Sigma series:stare

73Dustr
11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I have an XD Tactical in 40 and love it. I have never had any issues with my XD. If I were you, I'd go with the new XDM. I am even thinking about adding one to my collection.

Rocket Power
11-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Sigma... there's a reason it's $299:goof
I like the feel of the M&P and like that it has the changable backstraps to fit your hand, but I haven't shot one yet.

MurphysLaw88GT
11-19-2008, 12:00 AM
XD....I have yet to acquire one

SlowStee
11-19-2008, 01:54 AM
I would get the new XDM 9mm. It's the perfect gun.

Care to elaborate? I'm trying to figure out my next gun Purchase. I own an XD 45 Tactical. Whats so great about the new M?

Breecher_7
11-19-2008, 04:56 AM
XD, enough said.

73Dustr
11-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Care to elaborate? I'm trying to figure out my next gun Purchase. I own an XD 45 Tactical. Whats so great about the new M?

Not sure what generation your XD is, but the XDM has some nicer features:

-Changeable backstraps
-Match barrel
-I think the 9mm is 19+1 and the 40 is 16+1
-Trigger doesn't have as much creep as the older versions
-Deepper serrations are cut into the slide for better grip
-I think the mag release is a little longer too for easier access.
-They also did some tweaking on the grip
-You don't have to pull the trigger to break it down either

Overall, it's the same gun. Springfield just did some tweaking. I think it looks a little better and feels a little better in your hands too.

Drivinhard
11-20-2008, 10:34 PM
xd9 tactical od green with black slide-----489 + tax. It is the last one at this price, I think I should pick it up. What do you guys think?

SlowStee
11-21-2008, 12:02 AM
xd9 tactical od green with black slide-----489 + tax. It is the last one at this price, I think I should pick it up. What do you guys think?

Absolutely dude

Rocket Power
11-21-2008, 06:23 PM
It's like XD central here:rolf

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5772&d=1227313353

Drivinhard
11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Well I did it, it is a brand new XD9mm tactical in od green with a black slide. It came with 4 magazines, the holster (kind of cheap), and 2 mag pouches, all for under 500 bucks. Thanks for the info and help guys.

STANMAN
11-21-2008, 06:36 PM
I won't buy one on principal alone. When they 1st came out, under the HS2000 name plate (exact same gun mind you), they were $250 BRAND NEW. They get popular, Springfield Armory buys HS, and adds $200 to the price tag to slap the Sprinfield Armory name on it. Reminds me of that commercial "If you see Springfield Armory on the slide, you've just been taken for a ride":rolf

Springfield Armory makes good stuff, don't get me wrong, but the XD line, since its inception, had irked me for the above reason. I have a HS2000 BTW, I wonder if it will be collectable one day, they are pretty rare since HS didn't make them long before Springfield bought them up.

HITMAN
11-21-2008, 08:29 PM
.40 XDM bi-color... :thumbsup

sloLs1
11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Well I did it, it is a brand new XD9mm tactical in od green with a black slide. It came with 4 magazines, the holster (kind of cheap), and 2 mag pouches, all for under 500 bucks. Thanks for the info and help guys.

nice buy!!! :headbang

i have a XD9mm tactical.... and this thing is friggin awesome!

SlowStee
11-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I won't buy one on principal alone. When they 1st came out, under the HS2000 name plate (exact same gun mind you), they were $250 BRAND NEW. They get popular, Springfield Armory buys HS, and adds $200 to the price tag to slap the Sprinfield Armory name on it. Reminds me of that commercial "If you see Springfield Armory on the slide, you've just been taken for a ride":rolf

Springfield Armory makes good stuff, don't get me wrong, but the XD line, since its inception, had irked me for the above reason. I have a HS2000 BTW, I wonder if it will be collectable one day, they are pretty rare since HS didn't make them long before Springfield bought them up.

What year are you living in??? Would you really expect ANY handgun thats halfway decent to cost $250?? Get over it.

Rocket Power
11-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Well Glocks haven't really gone up all that much in the last 10-15 years about a $100 or so.

DirtyMax
11-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I almost bought an XD yesterday but given the fact that it will not see much regular action (personal protection and very occasional plinking), I went with the Sigma SW40VE in .40 instead.

Given the chance to do it over, I might have went with the XD but it's $200 in my pocket and I'm not starting the application process over...

73Dustr
11-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Well Glocks haven't really gone up all that much in the last 10-15 years about a $100 or so.

Julian said decent guns. :rolf

STANMAN
11-27-2008, 03:31 PM
What year are you living in??? Would you really expect ANY handgun thats halfway decent to cost $250?? Get over it.

This was less than 10 years ago. I have forgotten more about guns than you will ever know, so perhaps it would be a good idea to just learn when experiance is talking instead of letting your ignorance on the subject show.

And I just don't understand all the Glock hate on this board, it amuses me. There isn't a handgun I would rather have in my hand in a life or death situation than a Glock. Call them ugly, plastic fantastic, whatever you want to. I will call them the most reliable handgun ever made, and I have shot just about every handgun made.

STANMAN
11-27-2008, 03:34 PM
I almost bought an XD yesterday but given the fact that it will not see much regular action (personal protection and very occasional plinking), I went with the Sigma SW40VE in .40 instead.

Given the chance to do it over, I might have went with the XD but it's $200 in my pocket and I'm not starting the application process over...

Do yourself a favor, retire the Sigma to plinking, and buy something else for personal protection. I wouldn't want my worst enemy to put his life on the line with a Sigma. If you want cheap personal protection, get a used Ruger semi-auto. Big, blocky, ugly, but again, reliable. When your life is on the line, its not a fashion show or a "who's gun is more expensive or has a better name brand", it's all about going BANG every time you pull the trigger.

Breecher_7
11-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Do yourself a favor, retire the Sigma to plinking, and buy something else for personal protection. I wouldn't want my worst enemy to put his life on the line with a Sigma. If you want cheap personal protection, get a used Ruger semi-auto. Big, blocky, ugly, but again, reliable. When your life is on the line, its not a fashion show or a "who's gun is more expensive or has a better name brand", it's all about going BANG every time you pull the trigger.

I had a .40 Glock in Iraq, I retired it for a .40 XD Tactical. The glock jammed up all the time at the first sight of dust or sand. This is why I dont like glocks. If your a city cop, im sure there great, if you need somthign that will actually perform under harsh conditions, they suck.

Oh and thanks for the turkey dinner offer. :thumbsup

HITMAN
11-27-2008, 05:55 PM

It's also about putting steel (or in this case lead) on target. I like a fairly precise trigger. This means Grocks are out. I could probably hit better with a Grock if I tied it to a piece of twine and swung it around my head as a mace.

And don't presume to know more about me about guns or shooting. You may own more, but I've been playing with them since I was 12 years old and I'm 10 days away from 48, so I've been a gun buff for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, probably longer than you've been alive. And as for my ability to shoot, I'm still better with a hand gun than anybody I know personally.

Grocks are a love it or hate it gun. Some folks shoot them pretty well and love them. I assume you are one of them. I don't. I just hate the trigger and the grip angle. I'd sooner throw it at my assailant.

73Dustr
11-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Grocks are a love it or hate it gun. Some folks shoot them pretty well and love them. I assume you are one of them. I don't. I just hate the trigger and the grip angle. I'd sooner throw it at my assailant.

Couldn't have put it any better. I think either you hate them or you love them. Once you've shot something with a very clean trigger, a crap trigger sticks out like a sore thumb.

STANMAN
11-27-2008, 11:56 PM
It's also about putting steel (or in this case lead) on target. I like a fairly precise trigger. This means Grocks are out. I could probably hit better with a Grock if I tied it to a piece of twine and swung it around my head as a mace.

And don't presume to know more about me about guns or shooting. You may own more, but I've been playing with them since I was 12 years old and I'm 10 days away from 48, so I've been a gun buff for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, probably longer than you've been alive. And as for my ability to shoot, I'm still better with a hand gun than anybody I know personally.

That wasn't even directed at you, but since you want to join the failboat, get on board. I have been around guns since I was 6 when I received a Powerline 880 for Christmas. Never shot my eye out, but living on the swampy shores of Lake Nagawicka in Delafield, countless numbers of blackbirds met their demise from that gun. I actually wore it out in less than a year, had to order a seal kit, that I helped my dad put in (according to him, I don't remember doing it). I do remember doing it later in my life though. I think I put 8 seal kits into that gun, lol. When I was 12 was when all the real guns started, everything and anything short of class III was available, and I shot it all, loved it. At 14 I started working at K-Mart in Oconomowoc, in the sporting goods department of course. At 18 I worked behind the gun counter at Gander Mountain part time, did that for 5 years, then moved into the gunsmiths assistant role. I cleaned/fixed/test fired for function and accuracy/appraised/bought/sold more guns in those 10 years than most people will ever SEE in their lifetime. I am a member at Menomonee Falls Rod and Gun club, so anything that needed accuracy testing was my duty before I would go into work for the morning. This was of course my breeding ground for starting my gun collection, which at last count was over 150 strong, and that's not bragging, or a fib, people on this board have seen it. This is of course while all the time firing thousands of rounds a year both at the range and in the field. Anything that can be hunted I have done it if I can afford it. Yearly trips out to the Dakota's firing thousands of rounds at tiny targets hundreds of yards away are my idea of fun. Reloading is a must, and it is another one of my favorite past times. Ever shot an honest 1 hole group at 100 yards?? You hear about it all the time, ever actually seen it happen?? I did it once with my .220 Swift, I am so pround of that group I had the target laminated, lol!!! So, say what you will about your experiance with guns, but anytime anyone wants to shoot me for money, I am there. With a rifle anyway, as much as I enjoy shooting handguns, I can't shoot them for SHIT:rolf

As far as Glocks, the 15lb NY trigger they come with sucks balls, put in a Ghost 3lb. trigger and they are almost as nice as any custom 1911. And I don't hate on the XD, it's a fine handgun!! Springfield Armory makes alot of very nice products!!! I just wish they had kept the price point the same as HS!!! I mean a high quality product at the price point of a Sigma would be awesome would it not??

STANMAN
11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
I had a .40 Glock in Iraq, I retired it for a .40 XD Tactical. The glock jammed up all the time at the first sight of dust or sand. This is why I dont like glocks. If your a city cop, im sure there great, if you need somthign that will actually perform under harsh conditions, they suck.

Oh and thanks for the turkey dinner offer. :thumbsup

Why did you not have a Beretta? Was the Glock a personal firearm, as I am sure it wasn't issued to you, unless you were in the Isralei army, lol. Did you watch that video in the other thread about what they guy did to his Glock to TRY to get it to malfunction and it never did??? A little sand would be a walk in the park to any Glock I have ever shot. That video is amazing if someone wants to post it again, I would watch it again, lol!!

Drivinhard
11-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow, so much hate, but my dad can beat up your dad. Ha ha ha, I'm so funny. Thanks for the help though guys.