PDA

View Full Version : Ford SVT Focus????

07ROUSHSTG3
11-18-2008, 08:01 PM
i have the opportunity to pick up an svt focus pretty cheap. it is a 5 door with the 6 speed, and is stock.

what are these cars capable of producing horsepower wise?? thinking it might make a fun little project car?? searched the web and can't really find too much info on them. any input is appreciated. maybe i should put this in the Import section??

Flicktitty
11-18-2008, 08:05 PM
i'm not real sure but i think there decent little cars, even could make for a good daily.

But this might help ya.
http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focus.html
http://ford-v8-focus.com/

xxtremeteam
11-18-2008, 08:05 PM
my brother almost bout a orange 3dr hatch with the euro body kit these svt focus's are very expensive to insure id bet almost as much as your stang for full coverage just my 2 cents

Flicktitty
11-18-2008, 08:12 PM
my brother almost bout a orange 3dr hatch with the euro body kit these svt focus's are very expensive to insure id bet almost as much as your stang for full coverage just my 2 cents

are you serious?

STANMAN
11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
And they are almost impossible to make "fast". Ford flunked big time with the SVT Hocus Focus, compared to the SRT4 or Cobalt SS/SC anyway.

07ROUSHSTG3
11-18-2008, 08:28 PM
And they are almost impossible to make "fast". Ford flunked big time with the SVT Hocus Focus, compared to the SRT4 or Cobalt SS/SC anyway.

that is what i was wondering. all the turbo kits that i am seeing are for 11 lbs of boost and that is about it??? can't really find any "fast" ones out there. i thought that the aftermarket was waaaay more supportive of the svt focus? that is why i asked. :thumbsup

xxtremeteam
11-18-2008, 08:31 PM
are you serious?

at least through state farm insaine to insure flick they where very high risk and he has a flawless record

Beagle
11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Order up the V8 rwd conversion kit and that thing will go as fast as you want.

stealthy1ss
11-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I think that a 1988 Dodge Caravan with a 2.5L Turbo has way more potential! :)

srt4eh
11-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Order up the V8 rwd conversion kit and that thing will go as fast as you want.

:headbang x2

Goat Roper
11-19-2008, 08:31 AM
that is what i was wondering. all the turbo kits that i am seeing are for 11 lbs of boost and that is about it??? can't really find any "fast" ones out there. i thought that the aftermarket was waaaay more supportive of the svt focus? that is why i asked. :thumbsup

I am the Focus guy around here, believe it or not :rolf

A SVT can handle in the neighborhood of 19lbs of boost, it is the stock Zetec bottom end that I wouldn't throw more than 11lbs of boost on. 300whp on otherwise stock motors on daily driver SVTs are not uncommon. There is at least one kit I know of that is usually good for 390hp plus reliably.

There is a good, strong aftermarket out there. Many turbos and superchargers and everything else you can think of. Let me know if you want to know something specific.

wrath
11-19-2008, 09:38 AM
There was a guy on FuelSlut that bought one when they first came out to replace his 'stang. He thought it was awesome and it slowly turned to hate.

If you can get it cheap and the insurance is affordable for you then go for it. I think they're neat little cars.

Prince Valiant
11-19-2008, 09:44 AM
As an inexpensive daily driver, why not? It'd be fun, snappy handling car, and relatively economical.

A co-worker has one, and in that role, he enjoys it.

As a project car however, I wouldn't get too excited about it.

shoooo32
11-19-2008, 09:44 AM
would make a great dd but the V8 swap is so tempting. would be a total sleeper.

Waver
11-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I am the Focus guy around here, believe it or not :rolf

A SVT can handle in the neighborhood of 19lbs of boost, it is the stock Zetec bottom end that I wouldn't throw more than 11lbs of boost on. 300whp on otherwise stock motors on daily driver SVTs are not uncommon. There is at least one kit I know of that is usually good for 390hp plus reliably.

There is a good, strong aftermarket out there. Many turbos and superchargers and everything else you can think of. Let me know if you want to know something specific.

thank you...after reading the comments from those who have a bigger aftermarket, I was hoping to find someone who actually knew what they were talking about.

You can build them up, and they are reliable..the biggest downside to them that I have found is that finding go fast parts for them isnt the easiest. Ford racing, jackson racing, and steeda all make parts for them off the top of my head.

CobraSnake
11-19-2008, 10:32 AM
take a look at this and tell me you don't want to stuff a V8 in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzpc_Km41PE

Goat Roper
11-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Ford racing, jackson racing, and steeda all make parts for them off the top of my head.

These guys are good sources as well and fab many of their own setups;

FocusSport; http://www.focussport.com/ (Randy)
Massive Speed System; http://www.massivespeedsystem.com (Karl)
Focus-Power; http://www.focus-power.com (Tom)

CobraSnake
11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
I've had 2 of them so far as DD and they are great for that. But to make it a fast car I don't think is that easy. I know of a few people that got superchargers for them and didn't seem to happy with the power they got for the money they spent. So for a DD they're great but for a project car not so much.

Mark

animal
11-19-2008, 10:59 AM
They're what I've always referred to as the bastard child of svt :) I guess they're ok if you're into turning alot. I only turn left going slow at the beginning and end of the drag strip so they aren't worth much to me. That said I almost bought one once but couldn't afford it at the time.

Any boost you put into them should prolly be limited. Iirc they were high compression from the factory and couldn't really take much boost in stock form. The other stuff they did was some transforming long/short runner intake based on rpms and I believe some type of variable cam timing. It had problems with the pcm programming in the early ones so make sure it's flashed with the latest pcm version from ford.

Goat Roper
11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
. I know of a few people that got superchargers for them and didn't seem to happy with the power they got for the money they spent.

Probably the Jackson Racing supercharger. No heat exchanger so even with the big boost kit you were lucky to see much over 200-210hp. ProCharger has a kit for the Focus and you can find some PowerWorks superchargers around for them as well. Honestly though, turbos and the SVT setup were made for each other.

Goat Roper
11-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Any boost you put into them should prolly be limited. Iirc they were high compression from the factory and couldn't really take much boost in stock form. The other stuff they did was some transforming long/short runner intake based on rpms and I believe some type of variable cam timing. It had problems with the pcm programming in the early ones so make sure it's flashed with the latest pcm version from ford.

10.2-1 to be exact. The bottom end is forged and has oil squirters, they can take a beating. Running 15lbs+ even on the high compression is done regularly. .0040 is one point of compression on these so you can always oversize the head gasket to lower your cr.

CobraSnake
11-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Probably the Jackson Racing supercharger. No heat exchanger so even with the big boost kit you were lucky to see much over 200-210hp. ProCharger has a kit for the Focus and you can find some PowerWorks superchargers around for them as well. Honestly though, turbos and the SVT setup were made for each other.

It was certainly a Jackson he paid a shit ton and didn't get any power.

Mark

deuceWI
11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I looked for a nice SVT Focus for a while before biting the bullet and jumping in a new Mazdaspeed 3 instead.

I like all the fun to drive features on the SVTF that you can't get in a regular Focus. Suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, 6 speed. And they move reasonably well while sipping on gas. (The Mazda3 is pretty much the Focus Ford should have been selling for the last few years, not their old crap.)

The big problem I ran into with the SVTF was most are 5-6 years old now, and maintenance / upkeep can be questionable. They're also cheap enough for stupid teenagers to afford and attempt to rice em up a little (I don't understand why people paint pieces of their door panels and dash different colors, and stay away from the engine compartment with that paint too!). That says to me the previous owner was an idiot and probably beat this car. I never found a nice one that didn't have some significant flaws. Actually I did find a couple but didn't move fast enough to buy and other people grabbed them up before me.

Anyhow, if I was still looking for a fun, quick, affordable DD the SVT Focus would still be high on my list.

4I Notch
11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP3xsI790sg

Goat Roper
11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP3xsI790sg

I know that car well. Tom from Focus-Power I believe owns that car now, the original owner tried forever to sell it, want to say he sold it to him for $15,000.

Amazing how well the V8s fit in there; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwRYgHcRgF4&feature=related